Year 12 2012 Chit Chat Thread (18 Viewers)

barbernator

HSC
Tbh it doesn't come naturally, I'm going pretty hard lol - but it defs doesn't come naturally.

I'm up to S4 and I'm revising Sections 1-2 again, and just realised how shit they are.

S4 is really good - I love the galvanic cells stuff.

Everything before that it very shit imo - biomass, sugarcane, fermentation, car fuel, biopol, ethanol as a solvent etc. - legit almost every d.p in section 3 is rote learnt.

I reckon it's pretty boring - all the Ziegler Natta shit
I actually find that one of the most interesting parts, the syllabus doesn't go into any depth at all on the actual catalyst, but the titanium catalysts and how they work are quite amazing.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Einstein isn't that hard- just bullcrap about stuff like Manhatten Project, WW2 etc. Impact of transistors etc- look at computers and make stuff up
These are the parts I ever lose marks on....I'm not feeling bothered to learn them properly, but probs should.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I actually find that one of the most interesting parts, the syllabus doesn't go into any depth at all on the actual catalyst, but the titanium catalysts and how they work are quite amazing.
Maybe haha - but S1-S3 for PoM have honestly killed my interest in Chem atm.

They don't even ask you how cracking works (I think), just memorise the benefits of each and stuff.

bleakarcher

HSC
Tbh it doesn't come naturally, I'm going pretty hard lol - but it defs doesn't come naturally.

I'm up to S4 and I'm revising Sections 1-2 again, and just realised how shit they are.

S4 is really good - I love the galvanic cells stuff.

Everything before that it very shit imo - biomass, sugarcane, fermentation, car fuel, biopol, ethanol as a solvent etc. - legit almost every d.p in section 3 is rote learnt.

I reckon it's pretty boring - all the Ziegler Natta shit
I started HSC chem today as well. We were the first couple dotpoints on ethylene and how it's obtained. Looks like you're a considerable way ahead bro haha.

deswa1

HSC
Actually true- I don't know anything about it haha- all I know is that a catalyst generally works by stuff adsorbing onto it proving another pathway with lower activation energy.

They don't even ask you how cracking works (I think), just memorise the benefits of each and stuff.
I don't know why cracking works tbh. I just know you can either catalytically crack or thermally crack. I thought it was pretty interesting though (except for properties of LDPE, PVC etc.-I HATE that)

barbernator

HSC

When u get to acidic environment, it gets good. But as soon as water came up i wanted to top myself. worst topic imo.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I started HSC chem today as well. We were the first couple dotpoints on ethylene and how it's obtained. Looks like you're a considerable way ahead bro haha.
Yeah I went ahead in the hols. haha - how you finding it so far?

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Actually true- I don't know anything about it haha- all I know is that a catalyst generally works by stuff adsorbing onto it proving another pathway with lower activation energy.

I don't know why cracking works tbh. I just know you can either catalytically crack or thermally crack. I thought it was pretty interesting though (except for properties of LDPE, PVC etc.-I HATE that)
Yeah that's why it's rote learnt lol - they tell you a bunch of stuff and that's about it - don't ask you to explain it at all.

And for 'Identify that ethylene, because of the high reactivity of its double bond, is readily transformed into many useful products', what does 'high electron cloud density' mean?

bleakarcher

HSC

Just wasted like one hour reading about precisely this. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

theind1996

HSC
N/A
When u get to acidic environment, it gets good. But as soon as water came up i wanted to top myself. worst topic imo.
Water? Lolwat, isn't that prelim?

And yeah, AE sounds heaps good - titration, Le Chatelier's etc. sounds good.

bleakarcher

HSC
Yeah I went ahead in the hols. haha - how you finding it so far?
Well, it's alright so far. Tbh I don't really mind it and I guess, to some extent, it's quite interesting so like it's not too bad so far. All this organic chemistry stuff is new to me too so yeah..

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Well, it's alright so far. Tbh I don't really mind it and I guess, to some extent, it's quite interesting so like it's not too bad so far. All this organic chemistry stuff is new to me too so yeah..
Yeah it's alright, I don't mind it too much, but I'd prefer my other subs atm, and prelim chem was better so far (h-bonding, catalysts, rate of reaction etc.).

bleakarcher

HSC
Yeah that's why it's rote learnt lol - they tell you a bunch of stuff and that's about it - don't ask you to explain it at all.

And for 'Identify that ethylene, because of the high reactivity of its double bond, is readily transformed into many useful products', what does 'high electron cloud density' mean?
I think it just means there are more electrons concentrated in a region than usual. Density is mass per unit volume.

barbernator

HSC
Water? Lolwat, isn't that prelim?

And yeah, AE sounds heaps good - titration, Le Chatelier's etc. sounds good.
water management. kill me now. And electron density (not sure about the cloud bit, but i assume its just the same) refers to a high concentration of electrons in the double bond, making it more reactive due to the electrostatic repulsion of the electrons themselves.

oh yeh, and learning how to draw cellulose was a bitch!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)