Any predictions on Communication area? (1 Viewer)

nirukk

HSC
I can't find any notes about osmoconformers and osmoregulators. Can anyone give an example of how each work.
Thanks

Aysce

HSC
I can't find any notes about osmoconformers and osmoregulators. Can anyone give an example of how each work.
Thanks
Osmoconformers are organisms that tolerate changes in the external environment by changing their internal environment, specifically their solute concentration. E.g. The Fiddler Crab - When solute concentration within the external environment increases, the Fiddler Crab accumulates salt within it's muscles and body tissues, thus raising it's internal solute concentration to be equal to that of the external environment.

Osmoregulators are those that avoid a change in their internal solute concentration in accordance with the external environment. E.g. Polychaete Worms may burrow deep into the sand. A better example is mussels opening and closing their shell at different tide times to avoid accumulating excess salt.

Hope this helps you.

RishBonjour

HSC
I'm finding it really difficult to cover all of the content in Biology! Does anyone have an effective way to study biology? I have just been going through each dot point, but there is so much!!
Biology IMO, you can cram hard and get yourself a band 5. (band 6 IF lucky - but doubt it)
Read some quality notes and do past papers, you should be fine.

But also don't just "memorise" - they tend to give a lot of more analysis based questions (much better test of understanding imo).

For biology beasts :
- distinguish between homeostasis and enanstiostasis.

Aysce

HSC
I'll break it down but I don't know if it's right:

Definition of homeostasis: The maintenance of a stable internal environment in response to stimulus (changes in the internal and external environment)
Definition of enantiostasis: The maintenance of metabolic and physiological functions of the organism in response to changes in the external environment.

Difference: Enantiostasis solely focuses on the solute concentration of the internal environment whilst homeostasis focuses upon a broader range of factors e.g. Internal temperature, water levels, hormonal levels.

Meh, it was worth a try. Is this a HSC question?

RishBonjour

HSC
I'll break it down but I don't know if it's right:

Definition of homeostasis: The maintenance of a stable internal environment in response to stimulus (changes in the internal and external environment)
Definition of enantiostasis: The maintenance of metabolic and physiological functions of the organism in response to changes in the external environment.

Difference: Enantiostasis solely focuses on the solute concentration of the internal environment whilst homeostasis focuses upon a broader range of factors e.g. Internal temperature, water levels, hormonal levels.

Meh, it was worth a try. Is this a HSC question?

Nah its not an HSC question, I was thinking about it before my Half yearly to understand both fully.
what I figured, in terms of them maintaining physiological environment is that Homeostasis DIRECTLY counters the stimuli or the change in environment while enanstiostasis involves altering something else to maintain physiological functioning

e.g. the blue swimmer crap pumps out hydrogen when it lacks solutes to increase enzyme functioning but does not directly counteract the solute

Thats just the way I look at it though, makes sense. but I doubt they will ask it. enanstiostasis - if is not even on the internet.. its just a shiz dot point.

wavess

HSC
Biology IMO, you can cram hard and get yourself a band 5. (band 6 IF lucky - but doubt it)
Read some quality notes and do past papers, you should be fine.

But also don't just "memorise" - they tend to give a lot of more analysis based questions (much better test of understanding

Yeah band 6 would be near to impossible because the content is too much. Band 5 if you are one of those people that can understand things quickly.
I've crammed biology in a week in an exam in yr 11, and I only managed to get a 70. Obviously I've learnt from that mistake.

Aysce

HSC
Nah its not an HSC question, I was thinking about it before my Half yearly to understand both fully.
what I figured, in terms of them maintaining physiological environment is that Homeostasis DIRECTLY counters the stimuli or the change in environment while enanstiostasis involves altering something else to maintain physiological functioning

e.g. the blue swimmer crap pumps out hydrogen when it lacks solutes to increase enzyme functioning but does not directly counteract the solute

Thats just the way I look at it though, makes sense. but I doubt they will ask it. enanstiostasis - if is not even on the internet.. its just a shiz dot point.
To be honest, I don't really know for sure if your answer is correct. Did you ask your teacher? Don't take it like I'm bagging you or anything, I just don't want to learn the wrong things is all.

RishBonjour

HSC
To be honest, I don't really know for sure if your answer is correct. Did you ask your teacher? Don't take it like I'm bagging you or anything, I just don't want to learn the wrong things is all.
I was just thinking :p
I looked it books and stuff couldn't find anything. Naah didn't ask my teacher.
But it makes sense (if it popped up up in hsc- I would write what you said first and then write that so I eff with the markers head)

Why can't biology have definite answers like maths :(
e.g. fish kidneys - different books say different things. so much confusionnnn

Aysce

HSC
I was just thinking :p
I looked it books and stuff couldn't find anything. Naah didn't ask my teacher.
But it makes sense (if it popped up up in hsc- I would write what you said first and then write that so I eff with the markers head)

Why can't biology have definite answers like maths :(
e.g. fish kidneys - different books say different things. so much confusionnnn
Hehe

Fish kidneys are pretty distinguishable - Marine/Saltwater and Freshwater. I finally understand meiosis thanks to Jnney. Just draw tonnes of diagrams and imagine it in your head =)

RishBonjour

HSC
Hehe

Fish kidneys are pretty distinguishable - Marine/Saltwater and Freshwater. I finally understand meiosis thanks to Jnney. Just draw tonnes of diagrams and imagine it in your head =)
ahha yeah but I was referring to the urine thing. Some books say fish excretes ammonia through gills while some say marine fish excretes urea through kidney

btw:
found enanstiostasis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rys0hcJopVI&list=PL8C9FB38DABFE8322&index=59&feature=plpp_video

fuaarkk 500 views.

I drew the stages of meiosis a few days ago to visualise- helped :)

Aysce

HSC
ahha yeah but I was referring to the urine thing. Some books say fish excretes ammonia through gills while some say marine fish excretes urea through kidney

btw:
found enanstiostasis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rys0hcJopVI&list=PL8C9FB38DABFE8322&index=59&feature=plpp_video

fuaarkk 500 views.

I drew the stages of meiosis a few days ago to visualise- helped :)
Don't fish just generally excrete ammonia?

Can you clarify that? - Like what types of fish (marine/fresh) excrete ammonia via gills? I thought it went through kidneys

Edit: Checked and for all fish ammonia is excreted
Via gills. Thanks!

wavess

HSC
I really want to study biology but I have stupid english to do! Is anyone studying biology rather than English?

RishBonjour

HSC
I really want to study biology but I have stupid english to do! Is anyone studying biology rather than English?
I've basically sacrificed bio + eco for english.
I have a feeling ill get around 85 for bio lol

and @ace, yeah thats what i learnt too! they all excrete ammonia. biology is focus is wrong then.

Btw, how many past papers have you guys done? I generally don't do any for bio. But I just look at questions lto see if I could answer them :L

Aysce

HSC
I've basically sacrificed bio + eco for english.
I have a feeling ill get around 85 for bio lol

and @ace, yeah thats what i learnt too! they all excrete ammonia. biology is focus is wrong then.

Btw, how many past papers have you guys done? I generally don't do any for bio. But I just look at questions lto see if I could answer them :L
Yeah I checked many sources and it makes sense - you have lots of water and ammonia, why bother passing it via kidneys when you can just release water + ammonia via gills :L

I've done:
- All of Dot point
- 2001-2003 questions sorted by topic
- 2004-2007.

Doing more after english and some from textbook. Hope I go well in HSC, I never did too well in biology at school. Only got 77% in trial (lost 6 marks in MC lolwut) so I think I've progressed since then (hopefully)

RishBonjour

HSC
Yeah I checked many sources and it makes sense - you have lots of water and ammonia, why bother passing it via kidneys when you can just release water + ammonia via gills :L

I've done:
- All of Dot point
- 2001-2003 questions sorted by topic
- 2004-2007.

Doing more after english and some from textbook. Hope I go well in HSC, I never did too well in biology at school. Only got 77% in trial (lost 6 marks in MC lolwut) so I think I've progressed since then (hopefully)
WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF is this.
did you do CSSA?
Dont worry, I am CERTAIN, you will go well in HSC.
For Bio, I did this CSSA 2010 or 11 that my teacher gave us, it was pretty good. I did the first 3 pages of dot point - and then couldn't be bothered lol
For Hsc, I'm just hoping I get a band 6 tbh, although my teacher's words at the start of the year "No, Its impossible, he will not get 96 in HSC"
(Cus my internals were good - someone said " watch miss he will get 96") haha
hmm. That sorta motivated me, but now I cbfed
eco + 3u FTW

nirukk

HSC
I am sorting out time for each. Already done biology about 85% so 17th and 18th would be full on bio.

Aysce

HSC
did you do CSSA?
For Bio, I did this CSSA 2010 or 11 that my teacher gave us, it was pretty good. I did the first 3 pages of dot point - and then couldn't be bothered lol
For Hsc, I'm just hoping I get a band 6 tbh, although my teacher's words at the start of the year "No, Its impossible, he will not get 96 in HSC"
eco + 3u FTW
Yes I did the CSSA trial, MC was horrendous, got full marks for option (or lost 1-2 marks) and 12 marks for the bulk of it which is terrible. All I ask too is a band 6 overall, and I will be happy. I'm just trying my best and hoping it pays off :L

Aysce

HSC
did you do CSSA?
eco + 3u FTW
Yes I did the CSSA trial, MC was horrendous, got full marks for option (or lost 1-2 marks) and 12 marks for the bulk of it which is terrible. All I ask too is a band 6 overall, and I will be happy. I'm just trying my best and hoping it pays off :L

wavess

HSC
^ so am I!! I hope the hsc doesn't make the questions complicated! Bio doesn't scale up right? If it did, I would be over the moon

Aysce

HSC
^ so am I!! I hope the hsc doesn't make the questions complicated! Bio doesn't scale up right? If it did, I would be over the moon
It's scaling is underrated, it isn't as bad as people think. Last year I think you needed 79/100 for B6 but obviously that changes. I'm aiming for 90 raw but I'll never know lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)