Any predictions on Communication area? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Prions, Viruses, Bacteria, Protozoans, Fungi, Macro parasites.

PVBPFM

Personally I remember the first three and the last three fall into place.
you wouldn't happen to have a way to remember their structure, would you?

i.e. unicellular, prokaryote, eukaryote etc etc

RishBonjour

HSC
I know you said this but I'm just clarifying:

T- cells -> Cell-mediated -> Destroys cells infected by viruses/parasites etc

B-cells -> Humoral/blood-mediated -> Destroy antigens in the blood that have not invaded cells yet?
yes :D

ohh btw
taylor swift. absolute class.

RishBonjour

HSC

I remember this table I made, everytime I think of them, the images pop up in my head and I basically read things from the images :L

prions- non living
virus- conflicting perspectives on living or not
bacteria- single celled prokaryotic
protozoans- single celled eukaryotic
fungi - single or multi cellular - eukaryotic
macro parasites- multi cellular eukayrotic

basically, it gets more complex as they increase.

HSC
N/A
I remember this table I made, everytime I think of them, the images pop up in my head and I basically read things from the images :L

prions- non living
virus- conflicting perspectives on living or not
bacteria- single celled prokaryotic
protozoans- single celled eukaryotic
fungi - single or multi cellular - eukaryotic
macro parasites- multi cellular eukayrotic

basically, it gets more complex as they increase.
you have photographic memory? jeeze louise

i jelly :(

RishBonjour

HSC
you have photographic memory? jeeze louise

i jelly :(
no I don't lol far from it, thats like when you look at something for one second and you remember it.
I have to stare at something for a while and then it stays in my head :)
(unlike essays - takes 3-4 days to memorise lol)

ahh, hope the bio test goes well. I'm a tad worried about the experiments though, I always stuff them up.

Also, when they say "plot the graph" - do we plot and then connect dots or line of best fit or what?

HSC
N/A
no I don't lol far from it, thats like when you look at something for one second and you remember it.
I have to stare at something for a while and then it stays in my head :)
(unlike essays - takes 3-4 days to memorise lol)

ahh, hope the bio test goes well. I'm a tad worried about the experiments though, I always stuff them up.

Also, when they say "plot the graph" - do we plot and then connect dots or line of best fit or what?
better than me :(
i stare and it STILL doesn't sink in.

I think if it's a curve, you draw a curve
and if it's a line, line of best fit

phillmacrack

HSC
apparently my teacher was saying, know that activation energy potential graph thingy back to front.....

wavess

HSC
I may not be entirely correct here so I'm open to some comments/constructive criticism.

Okay so Beadle and Tatum experimented with Neurospora Crassa (Bread mould) by first growing it on a minimal medium (A medium with no amino acids). They then decided to expose the bread mould to X-rays in which mutations occurred. They tried to grow it on the same medium - those that did not grow were grown on a complete medium (A nutrient base providing all different amino acids necessary for growth), whilst those that did grow were thrown away. It was found that those that were grown on the complete medium grew healthily since it was provided with the amino acids it was missing. From this, they hypothesised that the X-rays mutated the gene responsible for creating the enzymes that converted nutrients into amino acids, hence proposing one gene - one protein.

Although, they later realised that one gene produces proteins OTHER THAN enzymes, hence they change it to one gene - one polypeptide.
Thank you so much for making it clear!!

Aysce

HSC
yes :D
ohh btw
taylor swift. absolute class.
Ily rishy haha

On an unrelated note, it's been a while since we've last talked =)

Yeah but you'll think I'm insane.

Prions - When they are not mutated ie not considered a pathogen, they are curled in shape. It's when the mutated/harmful prions come into contact with the normal ones that they become straight in structure. No genetic material.
Viruses - They can be made of both living and non-living components - they have a protein coat that encloses their genetic material which includes DNA and RNA.
Bacteria - These are prokaryotic, meaning they have no nucleus or membrane bound organelles. Look up a picture and remember as bacteria being ugly, spherical/rod shaped with lots of flagellates.
Protozoan - Eukaryotic - have membrane bound organelles and a nucleus (just rote learned)
Fungi - Single or multicellular
Macro parasites - Multicellular eukaryotic

Just rote learn them I guess hahahaha

RishBonjour

HSC
Ily rishy haha

On an unrelated note, it's been a while since we've last talked =)
haha yeah, gave up coming on bos. hsc depresses me :(

btw, a question about communication. When we perceive sound in the cerebrum, what areas are involved in it? is it just the auditory cortex, broca's area and werneick's area :/

Aysce

HSC
haha yeah, gave up coming on bos. hsc depresses me :(

btw, a question about communication. When we perceive sound in the cerebrum, what areas are involved in it? is it just the auditory cortex, broca's area and werneick's area :/
We perceive sound within the temporal lobe, or more specifically within Wernicke's area which interprets language. Right next to Wernicke's area is the place where hearing of other sounds occur.

Just remember:

Frontal lobe - Broca's area - controls the articulation and delivery of speech
Temporal lobe - Wernicke's area and a few general areas - controls interpretation of sound and speech. (sound)
Occipital lobe - Reads information from the retina ie responsible for vision. (sight)
Parietal lobe - Interprets written language (not really important)

The main ones you should know are parts of the brain involved in sound, speech and sight.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

RishBonjour

HSC
We perceive sound within the temporal lobe, or more specifically within Wernicke's area which interprets language. Right next to Wernicke's area is the place where hearing of other sounds occur.

Just remember:

Frontal lobe - Broca's area - controls the articulation and delivery of speech
Temporal lobe - Wernicke's area and a few general areas - controls interpretation of sound and speech. (sound)
Occipital lobe - Reads information from the retina ie responsible for vision. (sight)
Parietal lobe - Interprets written language (not really important)

The main ones you should know are parts of the brain involved in sound, speech and sight.

Hope this helps.
ahhh, yes finally, I had them a tad mixed up
thanks dude <3

Aysce

HSC
ahhh, yes finally, I had them a tad mixed up
thanks dude <3
No problem bro.

It feels good helping out people on BOS for once. I can't help with 3u since there are too many pros :haha:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)