Any predictions on Communication area? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
brilliant recount/explanation.
T cells/B cells are amazing.
Also, do we have to know clonal selection theory?
is it supposed to be one of the "mechanisms" through which they interact? I thought it was just teh self marker MHC proteins and interleukin I and IIs ?
I think we do need to know it.
When a dormant b cell is activated by an antigen it binds to, it then goes to a lymph and undergoes clonal expansion where it produces heaps of plasma b cells specific to that antigen, which is then released into the blood stream to offer humoral immunity.

The one thing i'm not too sure is if we're going to need to know the compliment system.

Aysce

HSC
Hey, can anyone explain to me blood and cell-mediated immunity?

I can't remember which one belongs to B or T-cells :/

TheOptimist

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲
HSC
Uni Grad
*shudders*
I think i'm okay with genetics, it's just the history sort of things I suck at.

1)I really suck at the collaboration questions i.e. watson and crick, wilkins and franklin. If i get a question about that, i'm a goner. As well as Sutton and Boveri.
I still don't understand what tehy really did.

2)Sutton --> observed meiosis and the behaviour of sex cells during cell division. What's the significance though?
Boveri --> Sea urchins, and the need for two gametes for the full development of the urchin. what's the significance?

idgi :(

3)How much are we meant to know about enantiostasis anyway?

I didn't think there was that much to know except the definition and an example of it

am i missing something here? :(
1) If such a question does come then it's most likely going to be on the quality of collaboration between the four, for Watson and Crick they were both close friends working in the same lab at Cambridge University - they shared infromation with one another-these guys proposing different structures for DNA using cardboard cutouts(trying to arrange the bases so hydrogen bonds formed - carried on work from Chargaff- noted that A-T & G-C existed in the same amount - however the most critical peice of puzzle could not have been solved without the aid of Franklin. Franklin and Wilkins worked at the same laboratory at Kings college, however they had a low quality of collaboration (due to the fact that Franklin was one of the only females working in such a profession and she was pretty independant), note that there was a race between Cambridge Uni and Kings College for discovering the structure of DNA, Franklin used X-ray crystallography/diffraction to partially determine the structure of DNA, this was the crucial element needed by Watson and Crick, Wilkins was also a good friend of watson or Crick (cannot remember), Wilkins took Franklin's work to Watson and Crick without her knowledge, then Watson and Crick published "A structure for DNA: The double helix" with Wilkins and Franklins work aknowledged. Overall you'd want to be saying that Watson, Crick and Wilkins had a good quality of collaboration whilst Wilkins and Franklin did not. :)

2) Sutton published his work a bit before boveri, but Boveri still piblished his work that asserted some of the same facts as Sutton, both attributed to the modern theory of chromosomal inheritance
-The nucleus is associated with chromosonal inheritance not the cytoplasm
-A full set (diploid) number of chromosones are needed for the normal functioning in organisms
- There are more but i am doing this purely from memory :(

3) Yeah just the definition and some examples including osmoconformers (e.g. sharks) and osmoregulators (e.g. mussells)

Sorry if i blabbered on too much, this is from memory, so yeah not entirely sure if this is all correct:)

TheOptimist

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲
HSC
Uni Grad

Remember that antibodies act within the blood whilst T-cells work within a cell, so B cells are Blood/Antibody- mediated immunity and T-cells operate in cell-mediated immunity:)

RishBonjour

HSC

T cells directly attack cells, specifically your own body cell (or foreign cells e.g. if a large flat word or something gets in you lol) e.g. when a virus invades your body and then INVADES a body cell, all the interferon shit is given out etc. but T cells specifically attack THIS BODY CELL (after being activated) to destroy the virus along with the cell, that is, cell mediated

On the other hand, for instance, when people are vaccinated, no t memory cells are produced, but rather just B memory cells. this is because the antigens in the vaccines are in no state of invading your cells so they stay in blood which B-cells react to (after being activated) and create antibodies and B memory cells , hence humeral response

HSC
N/A
1) If such a question does come then it's most likely going to be on the quality of collaboration between the four, for Watson and Crick they were both close friends working in the same lab at Cambridge University - they shared infromation with one another-these guys proposing different structures for DNA using cardboard cutouts(trying to arrange the bases so hydrogen bonds formed - carried on work from Chargaff- noted that A-T & G-C existed in the same amount - however the most critical peice of puzzle could not have been solved without the aid of Franklin. Franklin and Wilkins worked at the same laboratory at Kings college, however they had a low quality of collaboration (due to the fact that Franklin was one of the only females working in such a profession and she was pretty independant), note that there was a race between Cambridge Uni and Kings College for discovering the structure of DNA, Franklin used X-ray crystallography/diffraction to partially determine the structure of DNA, this was the crucial element needed by Watson and Crick, Wilkins was also a good friend of watson or Crick (cannot remember), Wilkins took Franklin's work to Watson and Crick without her knowledge, then Watson and Crick published "A structure for DNA: The double helix" with Wilkins and Franklins work aknowledged. Overall you'd want to be saying that Watson, Crick and Wilkins had a good quality of collaboration whilst Wilkins and Franklin did not. :)

2) Sutton published his work a bit before boveri, but Boveri still piblished his work that asserted some of the same facts as Sutton, both attributed to the modern theory of chromosomal inheritance
-The nucleus is associated with chromosonal inheritance not the cytoplasm
-A full set (diploid) number of chromosones are needed for the normal functioning in organisms
- There are more but i am doing this purely from memory :(

3) Yeah just the definition and some examples including osmoconformers (e.g. sharks) and osmoregulators (e.g. mussells)

Sorry if i blabbered on too much, this is from memory, so yeah not entirely sure if this is all correct:)
Thank you <3

I just don't see the significance between boveri and sutton :haha:
they didn't seem to do much in my eyes. idk :(

Aysce

HSC
T cells directly attack cells, specifically your own body cell (or foreign cells e.g. if a large flat word or something gets in you lol) e.g. when a virus invades your body and then INVADES a body cell, all the interferon shit is given out etc. but T cells specifically attack THIS BODY CELL (after being activated) to destroy the virus along with the cell, that is, cell mediated

On the other hand, for instance, when people are vaccinated, no t memory cells are produced, but rather just B memory cells. this is because the antigens in the vaccines are in no state of invading your cells so they stay in blood which B-cells react to (after being activated) and create antibodies and B memory cells , hence humeral response
I know you said this but I'm just clarifying:

T- cells -> Cell-mediated -> Destroys cells infected by viruses/parasites etc

B-cells -> Humoral/blood-mediated -> Destroy antigens in the blood that have not invaded cells yet?

HSC
N/A
hmm. I never thought of that.
Don't B cells have a way to communicate with the T cells? (idk)

I know that interleukin released by helper T-cells causes clonal expansion. Doesn't the B cell have a similar mechanism to cause T cells to react somehow too? :/

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
I know you said this but I'm just clarifying:

T- cells -> Cell-mediated -> Destroys cells infected by viruses/parasites etc

B-cells -> Humoral/blood-mediated -> Destroy antigens in the blood that have not invaded cells yet?
Don't forget the potential role of macrophages in activating helper t cells to release interleukin, which then active B cellz ^_^

Aysce

HSC
hmm. I never thought of that.
But if B cells create memory B-cells, doesn't it somehow communicate with the T cells too?

I know that interleukin released by helper T-cells cause clonal expansion. Doesn't the B cell have a similar mechanism to cause T cells to react somehow too? :/
I believe interleukin is released by the Helper T-cells where it causes T AND B-cells to differentiate into their different types.

HSC
N/A
I believe interleukin is released by the Helper T-cells where it causes T AND B-cells to differentiate into their different types.
i know, that's what i said :p

clonal expansion is for B cells :p

I meant if B cells have a way to cause T cells to react

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Only person that Blueprint is their fav module. I wish I could have gotten to do some meatier genetics with the option, but communication is probs my second fav I do. Maintaining a Balance is my least fav and then SFBHS is half or half-really interesting(immunity) or really boring.

#forever alone

Aysce

HSC
i know, that's what i said :p

clonal expansion is for B cells :p

I meant if B cells have a way to cause T cells to react
Sorry, I cbf reading your previous post :)

And is Clonal selection for only B cells? I thought they were for B and T cells..

HSC
N/A
Does someone have a way to remember the specific structure of different pathogens?

i.e. specific structures of protozoans, viruses, bacteria, fungi, prions etc etc?

HSC
N/A
Sorry, I cbf reading your previous post :)

And is Clonal selection for only B cells? I thought they were for B and T cells..
I studied that clonal selection was only for b cells, but i'm not entirely sure if i'm correct (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

edit: I googled it, and the only website i can find that says it works for both t and b cells is wikipedia:
"The clonal selection hypothesis has become a widely accepted model for how the immune system responds to infection and how certain types of B and T lymphocytes are selected for destruction of specific antigens invading the body[1]."

hmm. idk anymore :(

Aysce

HSC
I studied that clonal selection was only for b cells, but i'm not entirely sure if i'm correct (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

edit: I googled it, and the only website i can find that says it works for both t and b cells is wikipedia:
"The clonal selection hypothesis has become a widely accepted model for how the immune system responds to infection and how certain types of B and T lymphocytes are selected for destruction of specific antigens invading the body[1]."

hmm. idk anymore :(
Yes, in my notes it says the clonal selection can be for both lymphocytes but it only chooses ONE specific to the antigen.

HSC
N/A
Yes, in my notes it says the clonal selection can be for both lymphocytes but it only chooses ONE specific to the antigen.
Okay, so just to get stuff clear (for my own sake, and please correct me if i'm wrong)

1) A macrophage becomes an antigen displaying cell, where it holds the antigen it contains on it's MHCII molecule
2) presents this antigen to a helper t cell
3) helper t cell releases interleukin, causing the differentiation of Tcells and B cells specific to that antigen

yes/no

Aysce

HSC
OMG this, is something I always forget. Also the relative sizes? can someone write the order up?
Prions, Viruses, Bacteria, Protozoans, Fungi, Macro parasites.

PVBPFM

Personally I remember the first three and the last three fall into place.

Aysce

HSC
Okay, so just to get stuff clear (for my own sake, and please correct me if i'm wrong)

1) A macrophage becomes an antigen displaying cell, where it holds the antigen it contains on it's MHCII molecule
2) presents this antigen to a helper t cell
3) helper t cell releases interleukin, causing the differentiation of Tcells and B cells specific to that antigen

yes/no
Yes =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)