Maths in an economics degree (1 Viewer)

sc10

HSC
I am doing an economics degree but I only did 2U maths, is the maths tough and is there any courses with hard mathematical concepts

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
"And maths in Commerce and Economics is pretty much a joke. If you can plug in numbers to equations, you're half way there. Though admittedly you do get to do some interesting maths in Economics, you use Lagrange Multipliers which is second year calculus (but you rote learn it and just use it "because it works")"

quoted from Shadowdude

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
"And maths in Commerce and Economics is pretty much a joke. If you can plug in numbers to equations, you're half way there. Though admittedly you do get to do some interesting maths in Economics, you use Lagrange Multipliers which is second year calculus (but you rote learn it and just use it "because it works")"

quoted from Shadowdude
Yeah, and I stand by that.

Maths in Economics is a bit more difficult. You do simultaneous equations too.

2u is fine for Economics, however.

HSC
Uni Grad
If you do econometrics (ECON2206), I heard you do step up on jacobean matrices, but you end up rote-learning them regardless.

sc10

HSC
Has anyone done any of the following courses ECON2209 (Business forecasting), ECON3107 (Economics of Finance) and ECON3206 (Financial econometrics) and is the maths tough is these courses and are they hard in general

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What about for someone doing General?
What about someone not doign maths?
Economics has mathematics in it. It's just part of the nature of what it is.

The problem with doing the level of mathematics is that for certain concepts, a certain level of what's called "mathematical maturity" is needed. And you get that by exposing yourself to progressively harder levels of maths, so you become more comfortable with harder and harder concepts. Some of the maths in economics can be quite high level, and if you don't have a suitable background - the jump may be too high.

I don't say that to scare you, but it's like someone taking 5.1 maths in Years 9 and 10 and then suddenly doing 2u or even 3u in Year 11. There's just this gap that they have to jump. Now I know in Economics they walk you through it, but that's no guarantee of understanding.

a19901213

HSC
Math in economic degree can sometimes be harsh regardless how good you are at math. I'm currently doing economic degree and just completed ECON1202 last semester, and to be honest, I found it quite hard.

I did my high school in QLD and I had A for my Math B (that's 2U+3U math in NSW if I recall it correctly), but still, I found the math in economic, or perhaps econometrics I should say, is quite hard to understand.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yeah, econometrics is... maths-based economics. So... yeah I'd expect the maths there to be a touch more difficult.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)