• Australian Labor Party

Votes: 101 50.0%

• Total voters

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Tomorrow's Oz:

LABOR MPs reeling from a string of devastating polls that predict electoral ruin for the party expect Julia Gillard to be finished as Prime Minister within two weeks.

Kevin Rudd, who was mobbed by voters on the campaign trail in Geelong on Friday, is expected to be returned to the ALP leadership three years after he was dumped for Ms Gillard by the party's "faceless men".

It is believed the leadership crisis will come to a head in the final two parliamentary sitting weeks of the current government, which start on Monday next week.

Many in the Labor caucus now share the view of most MPs in NSW that while Labor may not win the September 14 election with Mr Rudd as leader, it faces a wipeout under Ms Gillard, with the loss of as many as 40 seats. Key Labor MPs in Ms Gillard's Victorian stronghold have become spooked and can no longer be counted on to support her.

Union leaders, who helped bring down Mr Rudd and have supported Ms Gillard's leadership, are also conceding her hold on the top job is over.[...]
After three years, the reign is over

IT'S now a question of how and when Julia Gillard's blighted leadership will end.

Remarkably close to the third anniversary of the removal of Kevin Rudd, Labor MPs seem determined to restore the former leader in the hope he can save their individual seats and the collective parliamentary Labor Party from being shunted to a decade in the wilderness. Having eschewed Rudd twice in the past because they put their hatred for him above the recognition of the voters' hatred for Gillard, Labor MPs have now been spooked into action.

How they will actually finish a determined Prime Minister is not clear but it will have to be in the next two parliamentary sitting weeks and unless Gillard agrees to go it will be bloody. Even if she resists, it is clear she cannot last as leader with her "friends" now announcing her demise.

Tony Abbott has Gillard's number but will face a new/old challenge in Rudd. He'll probably also face a new election timetable, which will be to everyone's liking, no matter who they vote for.

Okashi

HSC
Looks like Christopher Pyne was right. Unbelieveable! I always found it funny how Labor's hatred of Rudd outstripped the basic human instinct for survival. I see they woken up to their senses now.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Looks like Christopher Pyne was right. Unbelieveable! I always found it funny how Labor's hatred of Rudd outstripped the basic human instinct for survival. I see they woken up to their senses now.
Yes, Christopher Pine has certainly been proved right by something that hasn't even yet happened, and even if it does would happen weeks after he said it would and without some supposed major policy announcement from Rudd.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I still don't buy it, I've no doubt there are a lot of MP's who are worried, and maybe there are even a majority who now want change, I just don't think that the leadership will change, it's too late, and Rudd won't want to take the reigns and loose (unless he is that arrogant that he thinks he can win).

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
RUDDMENTUM

yessss LET'S GET IT GOING
Haha

Gillard is a dead duck and has been since she took over. I don't doubt that the above media reports are correct, although I would be surprised if Kevin Rudd would accept the job now.

Lentern

HSC
I still don't buy it, I've no doubt there are a lot of MP's who are worried, and maybe there are even a majority who now want change, I just don't think that the leadership will change, it's too late, and Rudd won't want to take the reigns and loose (unless he is that arrogant that he thinks he can win).
He absolutely will take it if the position becomes vacant.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
He absolutely will take it if the position becomes vacant.
I don't know, I wouldn't put it past Rudd to wait till Gillard steps down (for health reasons or whatever upon the labor drones decide on) and then he tells everyone that he gave them the chance to save themselves twice before, they didn't want it and they can now all go fuck themselves.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
It's not too late at all. see e.g. Barnett or Hawke.

He 100% will take the job if Gillard is persuaded to go. (Yes, he does think he can win)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Gillard is an idiot that is actually setting women in Australia backwards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)