Are wages in Australia too high? (1 Viewer)

Are wages too high in Aust and you support 457 visas

• Yes

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
Are wages in Australia too high and if so please explain why? Do you support the use of 457 visas to cut the cost base of labour in Australia?

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
Are wages in Australia too high and if so please explain why? Do you support the use of 457 visas to cut the cost base of labour in Australia?
There is no such thing as too low or high a wage, as the cost of labour is determined by market forces (Well in theory....). This of course doesn't apply to the idea of a minimum wage which by the virtue of its existence is always too high...

Emily Howard

HSC
No, Visa thing is supported by fuckwits like Gina because they want minimum wage foreign workers.

Instead of putting the jobs out there to strayans in many of the cases they went straight to visa's. Would not be surprised if international workers are preferred becuz they wnt be familiar with work rights - cmon in retail sector. Retail sector was also marked as one that needed Visa workers, biggest bullshit out there. We have oversupply of those qualified for retail.

if the argument is dat no aussies will do it, incorporate dole recipients with workin in those positions fo the dole/monies instead of bringin in ppl on visas.

Wages are artificially high because of the labour movements - dats why we have penalities on the weekend/late night cos we had undersupply of work force historically so to entice em n shit but dnt need no more - but cost of living is high to balance that. If wages go down, cost of livin will need to go down.

also bbygurl u forget that party leaders do not make all the decisions in politics re: your past posts n dp

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
No, we pay a lot more in other areas - Australia is one of the most expensive places in the world to live in and we get relatively lower wages. In comparison to the US, we have to pay quite a bit more with a lower median income.

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
No, we pay a lot more in other areas - Australia is one of the most expensive places in the world to live in and we get relatively lower wages. In comparison to the US, we have to pay quite a bit more with a lower median income.
lel plz m8.

lee337

HSC
Uni Grad
Pretty sure Aus has higher median income, thus our higher expenses.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
lel plz m8.
I was wondering when somebody was going to point out how stupid the statement was. Yes Australia is expensive if you're living on the average wage of somebody from Gabon, not if you're living on the average wage of somebody who lives in Australia. The majority of people think they don't earn enough because we as a society have this desire to buy and own more which can only be accomplished by earning more or taking out loans that you yourself know you will never be able to pay back. Also your facts on the US are wrong. One only has to do a 5 minute check of Census data as I did to get the figures. The Median income for people over the age of 15 in Australia is $577 a week ($30,004 a year) according to the 2011 Census, while in the US it is $26,588 a year according to their 2011 census data. Of course this doesn't tell us anything about the cost of living in either of these countries on the whole, or regional variations within. For example I could have lived in Germany in 1923 during hyperinflation and my wage per week could be something like a 100 million marks, doesn't tell you anything about how expensive it is to live there.

Last edited:

Garygaz

HSC
Lel plz I'm in America right now, everything is as cheap as fuck.

Mcchicken at the stop along the highway to Vegas, 1 dollar. Most expensive burger (quarter pounder deluxe) 2.20.
25 pack of ciggies: $4.50
6 pack of beer: $8
I got a ham and cheese toasted sandwich, chips and soup for 9 dollars sitting in a restaurant. Don't even get me started on the cost of cars or groceries..

Emily Howard

HSC

Mcchicken at the stop along the highway to Vegas, 1 dollar. Most expensive burger (quarter pounder deluxe) 2.20.
I got a ham and cheese toasted sandwich, chips and soup for 9 dollars sitting in a restaurant. Don't even get me started on the cost of cars or groceries..
surprised u hvnt been lynched fo yo anti-semitic behavour yet

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
No, 457 visas are taking our jobs.

Damn, I want to go there.

surprised u hvnt been lynched fo yo anti-semitic behavour yet
Not cool

Emily Howard

HSC
m8 he's in america, brother of the jews, n he was in the anti israeli league dnt see da problem

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A

A mate of mine said you can get a gallon of coke for 80 cents any truth to dat? Because that would be super awesome

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)