A Guide to University for First Years (1 Viewer)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Re: A First Year's Guide to University

Thanks for the update.

We didn't have anyone from MQ contribute to this guide so we weren't aware of these differences.

I'll have it updated tomorrow.
No worries, it wasn't a criticism :)

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A

I'm perfectly calm..?

Was simply mentioning some things that deviate from the norm at MQ for the benefit of future readers.
In addition to that UNSW is getting pretty strict on tutorial attendances even if there are no participation marks. You must attend 80% of the tutes or you can fail the course by not being able to complete a final assessment. Enforcement on this rule is course dependent, but don't risk it. I had a level 3 lecturer failing students for missing 4 tutes.

I noticed business courses don't care about attendances but arts do (probably to do with tighter budget and lecturers don't want to be under anyone's sights).

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC

Add a "scoring with the usyd ladies" section.
Semi-srs

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

1. Depends on subjects. Psych has 4 contact hours a week, Chem approx 6, Biology approx 5, maths 3 (maths subjects tend to be 'half' subjects, or only worth half the normal number of credit points so you do two of them per semester which makes it 6 contact hours a week), History and philosophy of science 3-4. If you did, say, a chem, a bio, two maths, and a psych in first semester, you would be looking at approx 20 hours/week.

Don't harass, don't be a tool, maybe be a hipster, be interesting. Being attractive also helps.
Chem is at least 7 hrs a week. 3x1hr lectures, 1hr tute, 3hr weekly lab.

flashtrick

Gap year? If only...
HSC

must I define 'approx' for you m'dear? :p There are the odd weeks when labs aren't run, like wk 1 and 13 that I'm aware of.
Not sure if I already asked this, but how do they spread the hours over the week?
It'd suck to have 4 hours of lectures/lab every weekday. Much prefer having a 6-8 hour day, leaving another day of the week with absolutely nothing.

madharris

HSC
N/A

Not sure if I already asked this, but how do they spread the hours over the week?
It'd suck to have 4 hours of lectures/lab every weekday. Much prefer having a 6-8 hour day, leaving another day of the week with absolutely nothing.
It varies depending on your timetable. If you do science then the best you MAY get it at is 4 days a week.

Before you have the opportunity do your timetable, make sure you look at the available subject times before hand so you can plan and know what kind of time table you have in mind instead of seeing it for the first time and ending up getting a shit one :p
(if your uni allows you to see the times that is)

D94

HSC
N/A

I think what I am saying is common for all universities - there will be a set program of study that most students follow. To ensure no clashes, they design the times around the set courses for that semester. There may also be priorities for higher years, such as labs and tutorial rooms.

They will almost always offer at least a couple of timeslots if there are a lot of students. A few degrees may have a common course so they obviously have to take that into account. It's a pretty elaborate system, so you may be 'unlucky' if you have 4 hours of labs/lectures everyday.

You really can't tell until the class times are released. You may be able to structure your classes such that you get a free day or even 2 depending on your classes.

nightweaver066

HSC

In addition to that UNSW is getting pretty strict on tutorial attendances even if there are no participation marks. You must attend 80% of the tutes or you can fail the course by not being able to complete a final assessment. Enforcement on this rule is course dependent, but don't risk it. I had a level 3 lecturer failing students for missing 4 tutes.

I noticed business courses don't care about attendances but arts do (probably to do with tighter budget and lecturers don't want to be under anyone's sights).
Not exactly. I've heard that in maths at UNSW (maybe it's the same for others too?), even if you skip all the tutorials, so long as you do well in the final exam, you won't be penalised.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A

Not exactly. I've heard that in maths at UNSW (maybe it's the same for others too?), even if you skip all the tutorials, so long as you do well in the final exam, you won't be penalised.
It's all dependent on the tutor/lecturer, but it's getting stricter these days probably due to fears of budget cuts. If you fail to attend the tutes, they won't let you take the final assessment/exam, hence failing the course by not completing one module of the course.

AnimeX

HSC
N/A

hey,
to what extent does cramming work in uni?
and is "homework" set out in uni, like the questions you're supposed to do from the textbook?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

Confirmed by math administration Francy "it's okay spiral if you don't attend tutorials as long as you pass finals"

But you should attend

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A

hey,
to what extent does cramming work in uni?
and is "homework" set out in uni, like the questions you're supposed to do from the textbook?
its person dependent. there's no "homework" but just assessments like essays and quizzes and what not. It's all dependent on how good you can work. I usually do a 3000 word research paper in one night.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

Yikes, that's a bit much :/
It's the same for some of my law subjects and business subjects where the final is worth 50% :\

On that note, certain subjects have a "must pass the finals to pass the subject" provision. I think that's mostly sciences and engineering, but it's still something that can happen.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

It's the same for some of my law subjects and business subjects where the final is worth 50% :\

On that note, certain subjects have a "must pass the finals to pass the subject" provision. I think that's mostly sciences and engineering, but it's still something that can happen.
As far as i know Must Pass Final to Pass provisions are pretty normal. But i've never heard of students being denied the opportunity to attempt their final due to insufficient tutorial attendance, that's really rough.

Kids, just go to your classes!

D94

HSC
N/A

I've only had 2 courses which have had that requirement...one was Physics and the other was Maths (today). Could be different at different universities.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Confirmed by math administration Francy "it's okay spiral if you don't attend tutorials as long as you pass finals"

But you should attend
Lectures apply too, some of them are Soo boring and useless :)

You shouldn't feel guilty about skipping lectures.

JustDance

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad

You shouldn't feel guilty about skipping lectures.
Yeah, I'd agree. It makes me sad acctually.

williamdaft

HSC

Wow, such a thorough guide. Thank you OzKo!

Also, when do I create my timetable? (Starting BCom @UNSW - 3rd March)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)