ATAR Calculators (1 Viewer)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
How legit are atar calculators. Using the raw mark database and my expected raw marks, I converted them into aligned marks and chucked into atar calculator. 99.3? Like srsly? I'm expecting 95.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Re: The p00n thread

How legit are atar calculators. Using the raw mark database and my expected raw marks, I converted them into aligned marks and chucked into atar calculator. 99.3? Like srsly? I'm expecting 95.

That looks about right.

enoilgam

HSC

They are reasonably accurate, although last year they werent as strong as they had been in previous years.

Last edited:

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC

He has just been around BoS (this site) for a while and has built up his knowledge over time. I remember doing an ATAR estimate for him when he was new to the boards back in late 2011.

They are reasonably accurate, although last year they werent as strong as they had been in previous years.
Really? Mine was just about spot on.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Why don't we check the accuracy for me as well, and come back to this later on. I'm estimating a 93 for me.

enoilgam

HSC

Really? Mine was just about spot on.
I remember a lot of people complaining last year that they were way off (they seemed more temperamental). The calculators were 0.3 - 0.5 off for me back in 2010, which I think was a pretty decent margin of error.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

How do you copy and paste the picture?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

ATAR calculators are pretty accurate, the UAC don't release the full set of data so some interpolation is required. That along with the fact that the UAC use raw marks as opposed to hsc marks (they are rounded so you lose some precision trying to go from hsc mark to atar) is why they are never 100%.

But when it comes to estimating before the release of exam marks, even knowing raw mark cut offs, most students under estimate the marking standards of the hsc and their own mistakes.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

ATAR calculators are pretty accurate, the UAC don't release the full set of data so some interpolation is required. That along with the fact that raw marks as opposed to hsc marks are used (they are rounded so you lose some precision trying to go from hsc mark to atar) is why they are never 100%.

But when it comes to estimating before the release of exam marks, even knowing raw mark cut offs, most students under estimate the marking standards of the hsc and their own mistakes.
I took the middle case scenario, accounting for some sillies. But then again there's not enough data as this year was the second year for new syllabus' and exam structure (maths multichoice, business studies). So the alignment may not be super super accurate.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

ATAR calculators are pretty accurate, the UAC don't release the full set of data so some interpolation is required. That along with the fact that the UAC use raw marks as opposed to hsc marks (they are rounded so you lose some precision trying to go from hsc mark to atar) is why they are never 100%.

You still estimated your atar pretty accurately though?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

You still estimated your atar pretty accurately though?
Yep lol, came within 0.05. But that was a coincidence because all the marks were WAY off. The real impressive thing was someone in an atar estimation thread I made also came within 0.05 of it. (but he posted estimated mark ranges which werent too accurate)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

So I have estimated the following raws:

English Advanced: 88/105
MEX1: 55/70
MEX2: 64/100
Chemistry: 80/100
Physics: 80/100
Economics: 70/100
I aligned it and the whatnot, and get this:
MC9Fn.jpg
q6muE.jpg

My thoughts: No way, max I can get is 94. But this says otherwise.

Last edited:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

So I have estimated the following raws:

English Advanced: 88/105
MEX1: 55/70
MEX2: 64/100
Chemistry: 80/100
Physics: 80/100
Economics: 70/100
I aligned it and the whatnot, and get this:
View attachment 29203

My thoughts: No way, max I can get is 94. But this says otherwise.
You have to compare raw marks with the database for aligned mark to put into calculator.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the first paragraph was referring to plugging your own marks into an ATAR calculator with the data for your year and the second paragraph is generalising about using whatever year the calculators have.

The fact that on results day you will be putting your results into a calculator using previous years data will also take a little bit away from the accuracy due to variance in scaling from year to year (but in subjects with large cohorts this should ideally be handled by aligning)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

You have to compare raw marks with the database for aligned mark to put into calculator.
Yeah I did, And I took away 3-4 marks from each before comparing to the database, simply accounting for sillies and stuff.

EDIT: Also, our school hasn't had an ATAR above 92 in 4 years, so I'm kinda thinking this isn't a very accurate process for someone like me.

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

Yeah I did, And I took away 3-4 marks from each before comparing to the database, simply accounting for sillies and stuff.
Sure? A 70 in eco might be close to a fail.

Anyway if this discussion is going to continue it's probably better suited to 2k13 chit chat.

(i'm off now, exam tomorrow morning)

Spiritual Bean

The only
HSC

I think a lot of students will attain higher results than they anticipated, but if you go on the ATAR estimate forum, some users exaggerate the aims and give the OP false hope, without naming any names.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

Thats wat i got. Obv look like eco is not going to count for you. But you might have just gotten yourself allrounders.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Sure? A 70 in eco might be close to a fail.
Last minute study, did the maddest essays (13 pages, but will not get more than 15 in each), lucky to get over 10 in m/c, short answers biggest bullcrap, but also correct.
My Science answering skills kicked in when doing short answers.
Doesn't matter, I'm on 12 units :cool:

(i'm off now, exam tomorrow morning)
Good Luck mate :). Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Thats wat i got. Obv look like eco is not going to count for you. But you might have just gotten yourself allrounders.
Highest ever ATAR at my school was a 97. No way at all.

I'm guessing that at my school, there are a lot more sillies than you can expect, or we just don't know how harsh marking is at my school.

I'll keep in mind and post here my final ATAR, as all p00ners are my witness of the accuracy/inaccuracy of the system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)