told us to include cost, practicality, social and environmental impacts
how to approach this q and how would marks be allocated

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
6 mark question
told us to include cost, practicality, social and environmental impacts
how to approach this q and how would marks be allocated
Is this the 2012 HSC paper? Look at its marking guidelines and sample answers if so.

And give us the full question. The verb plays a major part in the structure of your answer.

Also, get into the habit of realising that impacts or -s means at least two.

If you give the question then I can help answer it.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
In general, a 6 mark question, evaluate means you must make a judgment based on criteria given, so here is my view of a certain full marks if you include the following in a coherent and concise manner
1)determine the galvanic cell you are doing, state the anode and cathode(essentially oxidation and reduction equation), electrolyte, possibly overall equation(this is to highlight you understand the chemistry of the cell-because the materials and voltage of the cell will directly determine your other criteria)
2)This type of question may possibly be best done in a table, but essentially for cost-you should say in one sentence whether it is low, medium or high cost-with consideration of the voltage and materials which can help to back up your reasoning
3)practicality-so say, for the lead-acid cell, for example, it is not practical for use in applications where weight consideration is important-it is very heavy, however, in a motor vehicle or as a temporary energy source-it does not matter-because the weight it adds is of very minute/unimportant consideration, despite having low energy density-it is very practical-because it is rechargeable-essentially state at least one reason and evaluate its practicality in different applications it can be potentially/is used for
4)social impacts-state at least one positive and one negative-so for dry cell batteries, for example, positive is lead to the development of small, portable electronic devices increasing convenience, but negative may be this proliferation results in an increased dependence on electricity, and as dry cells are made from non-renewable, finite resource, might run out...
5)environmental impacts-two impacts to be safe, i.e. negative and or/positive so negative for dry cell might be the zinc casing might break, leach metals in tips-which can possible leach into water supplies, for lead acid is that concentrated sulphuric acid, when split into environment, can be detrimental to ecosystems etc
6) evaluate whether the galvanic cell is overall good based on summarising the above criteria-i.e. might include lost cost, high practicality, low dire environmental impact and overall positive social impacts-so overall a very beneficial galvanic cell for society-of course, the evaluation could depend on the exact question asked..

hope this helped and any more questions on chemistry you are welcome to pm me:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)