What happened??? (1 Viewer)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Haya about messy writing - I've talked to various markers - if they can't read it, they move on. They don't have time to decipher shit. They are on a schedule. Applies to ALL subjects esp English, but maths also if your 0s turn into 9s and you cross shit out like no tomorrow.

Hope your dad improves.
I've actually heard otherwise. But I guess it depends on centre marking or online marking. If centre marking, when one marker can't read they usually pass the paper to other markers who may each decipher some things out. They do their best though to read it. But ofc there are extreme circumstances of hand writing.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
I've actually heard otherwise. But I guess it depends on centre marking or online marking. If centre marking, when one marker can't read they usually pass the paper to other markers who may each decipher some things out. They do their best though to read it. But ofc there are extreme circumstances of hand writing.
this is what i have heard too

hayabusaboston

HSC
I'm not calling you a liar, I'm trying to give you credit. I'm saying, it would have been easy for you just to not come on BoS at all - instead, you decided to post your ATAR up.
Oh I thought u meant "I could have avoided BoS altogether" if I wasnt a liar, which implies I lied about everything on BoS. Hm. Misinterpretation.

Well enoil, for all the quirks and criticisms of you BoS'ers, you make me laugh every day and I enjoy writing with all of you, even though I get a lot of hate haha. So I feel most content discussing with BoS';ers

HSC
So r u saying that this massive loss of expected marks came most likely from them just not marking it, cos too messy?

So they DO NOT give marks if too messy?

Legit?

Wowfuck, that is so unfair.

That is ridiculous! what if there was intelligent kid who knew everything but had fine motor development impaired (I had this as young kid actually, but got thru it via lots of training) and was very messy? What if he deserved to be no 1 in state but got 70 cos markers didnt read his solutions>?
It is fair. They are not robots that can read your mind. They are humans with eyes.

Also those people get scribes.

HSC
this is what i have heard too
Yeah they do their best but if the WHOLE script is like that it makes your reflects poorly on your paper and will impact your mark giving. I don't know the extent of your 'messiness' - myabe you can scan us the papers?

If it's some minor detail then they will pass it around and try and decipher.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah they do their best but if the WHOLE script is like that it makes your reflects poorly on your paper and will impact your mark giving. I don't know the extent of your 'messiness' - myabe you can scan us the papers?

If it's some minor detail then they will pass it around and try and decipher.
that is true. markers at 12 am in the morning are just going to skim thru quickly a messy written essay. and if u have a crap intro and conclusion, that's what your mark will probably be based on.

HSC
that is true. markers at 12 am in the morning are just going to skim thru quickly a messy written essay. and if u have a crap intro and conclusion, that's what your mark will probably be based on.
Nah lol they usually work weeknights 4-9PM and saturdays 8.30-4.30 with 1 hour breaks. Some others work 9-5.30 in a school day.

(Worked at the board.)

Onscreen is usually all done 4-9PM.

bladeys

HSC
N/A
So r u saying that this massive loss of expected marks came most likely from them just not marking it, cos too messy?

So they DO NOT give marks if too messy?

Legit?

Wowfuck, that is so unfair.

That is ridiculous! what if there was intelligent kid who knew everything but had fine motor development impaired (I had this as young kid actually, but got thru it via lots of training) and was very messy? What if he deserved to be no 1 in state but got 70 cos markers didnt read his solutions>?
How is it unfair? Youve been told from the very start that markers dont like messy handwriting.. its really not that hard to improve your handwriting

hayabusaboston

HSC
Well asianese my writing is pretty damn messy, hsc marker teacher warned me I'd lose marks if I don't get neater, but didn't believe a marker would do that

bladeys

HSC
N/A
Well asianese my writing is pretty damn messy, hsc marker teacher warned me I'd lose marks if I don't get neater, but didn't believe a marker would do that
LOL who is to blame then? No body but you, too arrogant to listen to the advice given to you by someone who clearly would know what they were talking about being an hsc marker and all

HSC
...so, someone told you and you were like: nah you don't know what you're on about douevenmark???

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Well there's your problem? You didn't listen to your advice , heh.

HSC
I didn't think it would happen to me though!
lol what the fuck its not a lottery. a human (maybe 2) will use their optic lenses and cones to attempt to decipher ink on a page. If you 'didn't want it to happen to you' then you should have put in a blank page because they need to have something there to give you marks.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Haya, you must have overestimated yourself or your writing is bad.

I received a shock in English (79) and realised after reading through this thread that I must have bad writing or overestimated how good my essays were.

I'll be posting something similar in my bingo thread when I have time to get to it, but my raw estimates of 64% in MX2 (88 exam mark), 55/70 in MX1 (91 exam mark) and 80/100 raw in Physics (14/20 mc lol) (92 exam mark) were pretty spot on. Chem, I was off with 80/100, and most likely got a 72/100 (19/20 mc lol) (88 exam mark). My point is that it is easy to overestimate yourself, even when you have done superbly.

Even though 3 of my estimates were correct, and one was slightly off and one was completely off.

And also, I knew my content very thoroughly, but I busted myself with 50 hours a week in past papers in the month lead up to exams.

Did you do every past paper for each subject at least twice? I did that and received more than I needed or wanted.

Did you understand the marking criteria and read over the sample answers?

You may have misunderstood the marking criteria's of the Sciences and possibly even in maths.

The HSC is not just about your information and knowledge, but also the communication of that information to the markers.

I'm sorry, but you have to accept the responsibility and learn from these mistakes. At least you did well enough to get that ATAR, which keeps your options open :)

EDIT: I had terrible handwriting when writing fast, but that barely affects English, as the marker grasps words here and there.

Luckily, in Maths and the Sciences I would think deeply before putting pen to paper. So in the end I took up all the time of each test to finish (All 3 hours/2 hours of the test). Although I didn't get to check my answers, I did them really good in the first place and had no problem with them, and my writing was super neat and small.

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I'll be posting something similar in my bingo thread when I have time to get to it, but my raw estimates of 64% in MX2 (88 exam mark), 55/70 in MX1 (91 exam mark) and 80/100 raw in Physics (14/20 mc lol) (92 exam mark) were pretty spot on. Chem, I was off with 80/100, and most likely got a 72/100 (19/20 mc lol) (88 exam mark). My point is that it is easy to overestimate yourself, even when you have done superbly.

Even though 3 of my estimates were correct, and one was slightly off and one was completely off.
I think your estimates are still off.

88 in MX2 seems to be about 60/100 this year.

91 in MX1 seems to be about 50/70.

88 in chem seems to be about 69/100.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)