98.70 - Competitive for second year transfer into LLB? (1 Viewer)

ncoul

HSC
I finished my HSC this year with an ATAR of 98.70, a whole point below the typical cut-off for USYD law. I understand that although the uni stipulates 97+ and a D average for second year transfer, it is much more competitive and viable candidates should be around the 98.50 mark with a HD average.

I wish to pursue either International and Global Studies or Commerce first year and have a few queries I'd like addressed.

- What WAM/grades would I need to couple with my ATAR and be competitive for second year transfer?
- How difficult is it to attain said marks?
- I have a feeling that Commerce is more difficult and the candidature is more competitive than Int'l studies - are there scaling/aligning schemes at USYD?

Nick

HSC
I finished my HSC this year with an ATAR of 98.70, a whole point below the typical cut-off for USYD law. I understand that although the uni stipulates 97+ and a D average for second year transfer, it is much more competitive and viable candidates should be around the 98.50 mark with a HD average.

I wish to pursue either International and Global Studies or Commerce first year and have a few queries I'd like addressed.

- What WAM/grades would I need to couple with my ATAR and be competitive for second year transfer?
- How difficult is it to attain said marks?
- I have a feeling that Commerce is more difficult and the candidature is more competitive than Int'l studies - are there scaling/aligning schemes at USYD?

Nick
With your ATAR a good D average should be able to get you into LLB. To be safe I'd advise for you to AIM for an HD average for safety. I've known of people who get in with a D average so it shouldn't be too bad. But also know that there many like you who are hungry to get into law but missed out by smaller margins (99.65 and down) so you'd have to offset these differences in ATAR by your WAM.

Depends on a range of factors. Whether you are inherently good at the subjects you do, overall interest, whether you are good at exams or not. I cannot say for commerce or IGS because I am a science student.

The commerce cohort is simply larger than the IGS cohort but I don't think this would have a large bearing on competitiveness because university is all about the individual. With regard to scaling, as far as I'm aware the faculty of arts and social sciences and the Sydney business school does NOT scale marks. You will receive your raw weighted mark unless there is some very good statistical reason why marks need to be adjusted. The faculty of science scales all units as far as I'm aware.

Ask some people doing commerce or IGS to get an idea.

Good luck.

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
almost 99 is very competitive. Aim for HD's, get D's and youll be sweet
And if it doesnt work out theres also a JD

zxreth

HSC
fyi 90% of transfers into LLB are all USYD students.

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
With your ATAR a good D average should be able to get you into LLB. To be safe I'd advise for you to AIM for an HD average for safety. I've known of people who get in with a D average so it shouldn't be too bad. But also know that there many like you who are hungry to get into law but missed out by smaller margins (99.65 and down) so you'd have to offset these differences in ATAR by your WAM.

Depends on a range of factors. Whether you are inherently good at the subjects you do, overall interest, whether you are good at exams or not. I cannot say for commerce or IGS because I am a science student.

The commerce cohort is simply larger than the IGS cohort but I don't think this would have a large bearing on competitiveness because university is all about the individual. With regard to scaling, as far as I'm aware the faculty of arts and social sciences and the Sydney business school does NOT scale marks. You will receive your raw weighted mark unless there is some very good statistical reason why marks need to be adjusted. The faculty of science scales all units as far as I'm aware.

Ask some people doing commerce or IGS to get an idea.

Good luck.
Marks in the arts faculty are scaled and for some units of study only 2-3% of the cohort gets a HD. So it's best to play with your strengths in choosing the units of study.

HSC
Marks in the arts faculty are scaled and for some units of study only 2-3% of the cohort gets a HD. So it's best to play with your strengths in choosing the units of study.
I have done ASNS and JPNS units and neither of which have been scaled. I guess it depends on the department then?

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
My friend was in a similar boat to you.

He had a 98.40 ATAR, and studied BComm in 2012. He recieved a 80.35 WAM, and managed a transfer. Achieving those marks in commerce is difficult and takes hard work - probably more or less, the same amount of commitment you underwent to achieve your high ATAR.

It doesn't matter what course you do for the purposes of calculating WAM for transfer. That's why I recommend doing the easiest courses possible in your first year (e.g. WRIT units if you pick International & Global Studies)

axwe7

HSC
N/A
My friend was in a similar boat to you.

He had a 98.40 ATAR, and studied BComm in 2012. He recieved a 80.35 WAM, and managed a transfer. Achieving those marks in commerce is difficult and takes hard work - probably more or less, the same amount of commitment you underwent to achieve your high ATAR.

It doesn't matter what course you do for the purposes of calculating WAM for transfer. That's why I recommend doing the easiest courses possible in your first year (e.g. WRIT units if you pick International & Global Studies)
So... for example, Student A got an ATAR of 99.2, and Student B got an ATAR of 98.3.

They both did commerce however Student B received a HD whilst Student A received a D, so, which plays a major role? Atar or WAM? And which student would be offered the place?

BLind95

HSC
I received an ATAR of 74.85, but attained WAM of 86.5 and managed to make the cut into USYD's combined law program.
That said, if you can achieve a WAM of 80+ to go with your ATAR, you'll be sweet

All the best :wavey:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)