MATH1141 Question Worked Solutions (3 Viewers)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
it is the question from homework set one lol. i just submitted and got 46%

lol, I'd have to disagree on the 2nd part, when i talk to Wolfe it like brief 1 min max at best and then he's off
HW set one is not a test........

You must be talking about quiz one......

D94

HSC
N/A
lol, the tutorials (IMO) are pointless. you waste an hour (or two) of your time going through what others had difficulty with (that you may not necessarily have) but when you put your hand up its 5 minutes till the end of class and the tutor is like "nahh bro, we'll do that one next week"

the SSS thing is also quite "useless." i went to the week 2 one and there were a lot of people there (like 12 or so, all asian, dont know how that's relevant) and there was only one teaching guy trying to answer all different types of questions in like an hour and when people cut into your time like what can you really do? "oi bro, **** off mate"
Go to your tutor or lecturer's consultation times. I provided other suggestions as well.

IDK if you are doing MATH1131 or MATH1141, but my MATH1141 tutorials were pretty useful - we mainly did [X] questions and most of us didn't know how to do those.

D94

HSC
N/A
Awww,
that is a real shame. I work best with worked solutions. They are the quick way to solve what problems you are having :O
And in all fairness, most of the time, when you put your hand up to suggest a question, they go in numerical order, so they may never get to the hard ones at the end...
I understand, and I've had really good tutors and a couple of less than impressive tutors.

Maybe if you know someone from a higher year that has done MATH1141, you could ask for their workbook.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
In my tute this week for algebra we missed out on doing the last 2 questions in time (which were X questions), but the tute in general was still very helpful and clear on most points.

The Physics psc's are helpful depending on who we get as out lecturer for the day.

If you still have a few problems, then maybe e-mail your tutor who will most likely help straight away.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Go to your tutor or lecturer's consultation times. I provided other suggestions as well.

IDK if you are doing MATH1131 or MATH1141, but my MATH1141 tutorials were pretty useful - we mainly did [X] questions and most of us didn't know how to do those.
I asked my calculus 1141 tutor if he could go though a question with me in his consultation time and he said drop by my office on Wednesday 10am and I thought good but as it turned out he had a scheduled lesson then and I'm just like "mateeeee"

Most of the students in the tutorials are asking about the "easy stuff" like adding vectors or differentiating something with should be trivial stuff to 1141. The tutors I have write the questions to do up on the board in accending order and we never get through it all :(

D94

HSC
N/A
I should firstly mention that your situation isn't unique so don't feel like it's something to do with you.

Send him an email with your questions. You can always ask other tutors in their consultation times. If you have friends in other tutorials, ask them for their tutor's details.

After your next tutorial, ask your tutor about their consultation times and if he says Wed 10AM then remind him of your encounter - don't leave without a satisfactory answer, otherwise you will be in the exact same situation again. Be persistent, after all, you are paying for your education. If you need to, raise your concerns with the School or first year maths director because it does appear to be unacceptable if your tutor isn't able to assist you even in their consultation times.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I should firstly mention that your situation isn't unique so don't feel like it's something to do with you.

Send him an email with your questions. You can always ask other tutors in their consultation times. If you have friends in other tutorials, ask them for their tutor's details.

After your next tutorial, ask your tutor about their consultation times and if he says Wed 10AM then remind him of your encounter - don't leave without a satisfactory answer, otherwise you will be in the exact same situation again. Be persistent, after all, you are paying for your education. If you need to, raise your concerns with the School or first year maths director because it does appear to be unacceptable if your tutor isn't able to assist you even in their consultation times.
I can see what you mean but I really don't want to bother him too much. He said he is doing his PhD and is really busy so I can see that having lots of studentss email him stuff will be quite cumbersome. But i rationalized in my head that if he didn't want to be bothered he shouldn't have became a tutor. Who else could I receive help from if this tutor is still giving me a run around?

MilkDrinker

HSC
Hi all,
did anyone get that physics quiz question about the staircase and the ball?

I don't even get the question... how is it possible that the ball roll at right angles to the treads and then reach the 10th step...?

HSC
N/A
I asked my calculus 1141 tutor if he could go though a question with me in his consultation time and he said drop by my office on Wednesday 10am and I thought good but as it turned out he had a scheduled lesson then and I'm just like "mateeeee"

Most of the students in the tutorials are asking about the "easy stuff" like adding vectors or differentiating something with should be trivial stuff to 1141. The tutors I have write the questions to do up on the board in accending order and we never get through it all :(
You can refer to this for consultation from lecturers.
http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/sites/default/files/consultroster14s1.pdf

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi all,

I don't even get the question... how is it possible that the ball roll at right angles to the treads and then reach the 10th step...?
I didn't get it lol so I just guessed. I can tell you it's not 8 & 13

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Hi all,

It was quite a simple question and was similar to one from the hw set.

There were much harder questions in that quiz than the last ones. (Hardest were 2,3,6,7).

Did you get maximum?

I lost 0.33 on minimum because I forgot its a parabolic path.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Btw, for future reference you may want to not post up too many questions about the quizzes until they are closed and the answers are up (example tonight at 9pm).

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
did you have to calculate some deformation or something?

can you just like leave it blank or something?

i can't believe we are 3 or so weeks into uni and they're expecting us to work like machienes. I mean i know uni is meant to be hard and challening (it is tertiary education after all) but maybe they should do a bit more teaching instead "business running." most of the people i've spoken to are falling to pieces and they were (what they told me) top students. they should have like a "cooling off" time, its like when you buy fish you don't just drop them into the water, you need to let the fish adjust then take them out of the bag and then put them in the big water. also very important to clean the tank once in a while
I think the difficult adjustment some students are finding-including me-is a result of that four months of extra long holidays we had post HSC...

MilkDrinker

HSC
I thought the maximum was the easy part, I applied the same method for the minimum but it didn't exactly work.

Btw, for future reference you may want to not post up too many questions about the quizzes until they are closed and the answers are up (example tonight at 9pm).
sure thing :D

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I think the difficult adjustment some students are finding-including me-is a result of that four months of extra long holidays we had post HSC...
Don't worry too much about it though.

The notation and theory is slightly altered to HSC version at the moment.

And plus the transition is a bit more difficult than most think.

Most likely next year or something we will know what to do right from the start and will be on top of all the work.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I thought the maximum was the easy part, I applied the same method for the minimum but it didn't exactly work.

sure thing :D
Its parabolic....

I tried that method and got 3.6, it was wrong, gave it a good thought, and you actually need to calculate it for when h=0.171, not h=0.19. The final answer was 3.8

But nevertheless all the sillies I made shamefully decreased my mark to just below 80%.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with this, however I was still doing some past papers "for fun" just to pass time and was looking for a job

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)