PRELIM PHYS- why do we connect voltmeters in parallel? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
So this is the dot-point : explain why ammeters and voltmeters are connected differently in a circuit.

I'm confused as to why a voltmeter is connected in parallel. Okay so I get that this enables it to measure potential difference. And because the resistance of the voltmeter is super large, it doesn't use up any voltage and so that allows it to measure the potential difference (somehow?????) of the resistor it is connected to?
But why couldn't you just connect a voltmeter in series with no other resistor and get a reading on the voltmeter?

SO CONFUSED.

THANKS GUYS!!!!!!

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
ammeters are used to measure the magnitude of an electric current so if it is connected in series it will not "affect" the circuit.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Umm when you measure a voltage drop you have to measure it between two points. So you have to measure the voltage drop across two points in the circuit. This is due to voltage being the same with two components in parallel.

If you connect a voltmeter in series you will get a reading of zero!

This occurs because there is no voltage drop in that part of the circuit (you are essentially measuring the voltage drop across a wire which is close to zero any way). You would also end up with burning wires and possible damage to equipment.

For measuring current through a specific part of the circuit, you need to look at the fact that in one loop of wire the current is the same throughout the wire. (by one loop I mean it doesn't branch off at a node).

So for the ammeter it should be in series to measure the current through that section of the circuit.

HSC
N/A
yay thanks guys!!
Ok so voltage is the same in two components in parallel. but then if a voltmeter has a super high resistance that means the voltage it uses is close to zero. so there is no voltage drop across the voltmeter, which somehow enables it to measure the VOLTAGE drop of the resistor it is connected parallel to?
I think what's really bugging me is HOW the voltmeter is able to get the reading off the resistor. Not so much why it's connected in parallel because yeh voltage drop but like how does it get this reading if the voltage passing through the voltmeter is zero......?
THANKKKS AGAIN

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
yay thanks guys!!
Ok so voltage is the same in two components in parallel. but then if a voltmeter has a super high resistance that means the voltage it uses is close to zero. so there is no voltage drop across the voltmeter, which somehow enables it to measure the VOLTAGE drop of the resistor it is connected parallel to?
I think what's really bugging me is HOW the voltmeter is able to get the reading off the resistor. Not so much why it's connected in parallel because yeh voltage drop but like how does it get this reading if the voltage passing through the voltmeter is zero......?
THANKKKS AGAIN
Not sure where you got this idea from.

The voltage across a resistor is the same (unless there is an open circuit where the voltage floats).

So if you have high resistance there will still be a voltage drop across it of magnitude V = IR.

So the resistance here is constant. The voltage is what you are measuring and the current is dependent on the voltage.

The voltmeter will have some sort of dependent elements such as transistors or amplifiers which have an internal resistance in them.

The voltmeter is scaled and calibrated using some more complex combinational circuits. These combinational circuits determine the patterns shown on the 7 segment displays.

The voltage drop across the elements affects the output voltage in some components and then these are recalculated using the predetermined values of the voltage drops. How does it calculate you ask? Well this is what amplifiers are capable of. They can do complex calculations even involving calculus. In fact they are the reason why calculators work.

That's the "basics" of how modern digital voltmeters work. This is probably very confusing for you because you have probably heard of transistors and amplifiers and combinational circuits but you probably don't know what they are. If you are keen then research into them. But generally a digital voltmeter is very complex, however this is what makes them accurate.

Honestly don't worry about the digital voltmeter too much. Below you will definitely need to learn next year:

There is also another type of voltmeter which does not use internal resistance (this is a simple analog one).

There is the galvanometer, which you will learn about next year in HSC, which uses magnetism rather than internal resistances and complex calculations.

If you are lucky enough your school might have some that you can play around with. We had one and it was awesome to put the theory into practice.

cub3root

fight another day
HSC
FIRST THING YOU HAVE EVER SAID THAT IS INCORRECT!!!

If you connect a voltmeter in series with a circuit, the reading on the voltmeter will be ~the circuit voltage (assuming Rvoltmeter >> Rcircuit)
gg AD.

We will never forget

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
FIRST THING YOU HAVE EVER SAID THAT IS INCORRECT!!!

If you connect a voltmeter in series with a circuit, the reading on the voltmeter will be ~the circuit voltage (assuming Rvoltmeter >> Rcircuit)
Thanks for pointing this one out. I did not notice my error.

Fizzy_Cyst is absolutely right. Its the voltage equivalent of the whole circuit from that point as referred to as an open circuit at the point (its called the Thevenin equivalent voltage for those interested in the extra-curricular stuff behind it).

gg AD.

We will never forget
Lol. You'll need to know Thevenin/Norton stuff in 111X.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)