Maglev trains and Meissner effect (1 Viewer)

noctua

HSC
Do maglev trains use the meissner effect to levitate?

I understood it so, however my teacher mentioned that this was not the case and that I would be penalised if we wrote that in the HSC.

So how does maglev trains really work? or is my physics teacher just out of his mind?

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Levitation is not caused by the Meissner Effect in maglev.

Really strong magnetic fields provide really large like pole repulsion forces between the track and the train. These repulsive forces cause the train to levitate

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
It would be very hard to implement a system with constantly supercooled material (lower than 150 K) in an environment which is at about 300 K.

Thinking of it that way, then you can tell that its quite difficult to have Maglev trains operating off Meissner Effect.

noctua

HSC
Levitation is not caused by the Meissner Effect in maglev.

Really strong magnetic fields provide really large like pole repulsion forces between the track and the train. These repulsive forces cause the train to levitate
So is there a reason why superconductors are used as electromagnets than normal conductors?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
So is there a reason why superconductors are used as electromagnets than normal conductors?
Do you mean as in general? In general they are used to make really large magnitudes of magnetic fields (like in MRI).

emilios

HSC
Can someone tell me what I need to know about maglev trains? That section of the syllabus is such an unorganized mess.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
What I understand is that there are 2 types of Maglev trains
-) EMS(Electromagnectic Suspension System)
-) EDS(Electrodynamic Suspension
The one with a superconductor is used by the EDS
It uses SC magnets on the vehicle and electrically conductive strips or coils in the guideways to levitate the train, this does not require the same degree of computer monitioring and adjustment while travelling, but the requirement for very low temp. means that, for the moment, this is not a practical system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)