General thoughts: HSC chemistry 2015 (1 Viewer)

sameermu

HSC
They haven't worded it very well but before any question is asked, it says "The mixture is allowed to reach equilibrium". Thus certain people will interpret that as saying it reached equilibrium at 1L...

Anousha

HSC
WOOH DIDNT STUDY ES AND MS and it wasn't in it (option: forensic chemistry)

wizzledonker

HSC
WOOH DIDNT STUDY ES AND MS and it wasn't in it (option: forensic chemistry)
Would have helped if you mentioned that bit about mass spec being useful alongside HPLC, you might have done but it still helps to have a broad knowledge.

Emmo121

HSC
Lol did anyone do a title for the line graph ? and do you need to ?

SilentWaters

HSC
That equilibrium question for industrial chem is an interesting one. Typically, only a change in temperature will affect the value of K.

The initial and final values of 10 and 11 respectively (2 sf) seem pretty disparate to me.

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
Wrote it for safety.

How is 4 marks awarded to a graph. Like wtf, srs
ikr 4 marks is ridiculous, by the way for the x axis did you guys put the first year at x=0, i was wondering whether i should do that or not but i didn't, so theres a 1 unit gap between the x=0 and x=1950 or whatever the year was

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Lol did anyone do a title for the line graph ? and do you need to ?
Yeah and I just called it changes in the ozone concentration above the Antartic over the past 50 years or something along those lines

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
This is the condensation polymerisation of 1,4 butanedioic acid and ethylene glycol.

First step produces (B) which is ethylene glycol succinate (not a polymer), this then forms polyethylene glycol succinate (PES) which IS NOT (D), rather it is D without one of the 'O' atoms on either the LHS or RHS.

I maybe wrong, but I don't see there being a clear answer :\

Personally, I am thinking B is more correct as water is eliminated during this process and it involves two monomers joining :\
This is reassuring

I went along with the same thought process

+ Check your email :p

Anousha

HSC
GUYSSS, who knows the definite answers to multiple choice: 10,15,19 ?

SilentWaters

HSC
I maybe wrong, but I don't see there being a clear answer :\
(B) is clearly the answer. A condensation polymer can be two monomers long (dimer).

EDIT: Yes, okay if you want to be incredibly nit-picky, you could say (B) is an oligomer (a molecule consisting of only a few repeating subunits - see http://goldbook.iupac.org/O04286.html). IMO it boils down to which answer is 'more' correct - a lame excuse for BOSTES getting sloppy with the chemistry.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)