General thoughts: HSC chemistry 2015 (1 Viewer)

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Can somebody confirm this? I personally do not think it is D because despite the hydroxyl groups reacting in the middle correctly, if you have 2 of these units placed side by side, you would have a C - O - O - C bond which should't be so right?

I picked B because of this.
This is the condensation polymerisation of 1,4 butanedioic acid and ethylene glycol.

First step produces (B) which is ethylene glycol succinate (not a polymer), this then forms polyethylene glycol succinate (PES) which IS NOT (D), rather it is D without one of the 'O' atoms on either the LHS or RHS.

I maybe wrong, but I don't see there being a clear answer :\

Personally, I am thinking B is more correct as water is eliminated during this process and it involves two monomers joining :\

JAMLO

HSC
it is B also since the question states with these monomers and the rest all have n so by elimination its B

monopoly73

HSC
wtf ur not allowed to teach if you have impact on the tests conflict of interest reporting ur teacher to bostes
shes not a marker, she's a head marker meaning that she just overveiws everyone else marking so that they are consistent. and im pretty sure you can be a hsc marker and still teach cause my english and textile teachers are bother hsc markers

IamKirby

HSC
it is B also since the question states with these monomers and the rest all have n so by elimination its B
B is not a polymer in my opinion, but D is wrong also so not sure on this.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
This is the condensation polymerisation of 1,4 butanedioic acid and ethylene glycol.

First step produces (B) which is ethylene glycol succinate (not a polymer), this then forms polyethylene glycol succinate (PES) which IS NOT (D), rather it is D without one of the 'O' atoms on either the LHS or RHS.

Personally, I am thinking B is more correct as water is eliminated during this process and it involves two monomers joining :\
I think polymers need to have repeated sub-units by definition, might have to have this checked though.

Ekman

HSC
I think polymers need to have repeated sub-units by definition, might have to have this checked though.
This is what I thought, hence I picked D. I didn't pay attention to the extra oxygen at the end since it had the n brackets, and hence it is in polymer form

Last edited:

Mr_Kap

HSC

yeh i drew it myself to figure it out and saw that none of the answers were legit (i ended up going with D because it seemed like it was what they wanted.
I just wanted to add another option "E" and draw it correctly and pick that instead.

invisible036

HSC
Do you guys think they will give marks for crossed out answers in Chemistry, like in Mathematics?

lpodtouch

HSC
Does anyone remember what the last short answer question was for chem?

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Can somebody who got 10.6 for the K question show me how they did it? Thanks :)
Draw u ice table, change in h2 is 2x=0.36, so x=0.18 change in methanol is -x change in CO is +x. Final mole for H2 is 0.5+0.36, For CO it's 1+0.18 and Methanol 2.5-0.18. Divide all these by 2 because final volume is 2L to get concentration. Then just plug into the K expression.

Ekman

HSC
Draw u ice table, change in h2 is 2x=0.36, so x=0.18 change in methanol is -x change in CO is +x. Final mole for H2 is 0.5+0.36, For CO it's 1+0.18 and Methanol 2.5-0.18. Divide all these by 2 because final volume is 2L to get concentration. Then just plug into the K expression.
Also you can just use initial concentrations as pressure does not affect k constant, and so it will remain the same.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Also you can just use initial concentrations as pressure does not affect k constant, and so it will remain the same.
That too, but they gave that the change was 2x=0.36, and it didn't actually say it was at equilibrium at 1 L.

Ekman

HSC
That too, but they gave that the change was 2x=0.36, and it didn't actually say it was at equilibrium at 1 L.
It did say it reached equilibrium. "The mixture was allowed to reach equilibrium" and the initial volume is 1L

Ekman

HSC
It's probably a mistake in the question/ bad chemistry on HSC's part then. Since you get 10 if you do it at 1L and 10.6 at 2L for change of 0.36
Lol strange, I got 10.6 in the exam as the initial K, but after recalculating now I got 10 as well lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)