General thoughts: HSC chemistry 2015 (1 Viewer)

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
the K question wasnt even hard lol. Just use an ICE table and you are sweet. I'm glad they asked a K question as it is by far the most routine and easiest part of industrial chemistry.
Everyone seems to be getting different answers for it lol

el_manu

HSC
Marking criteria changes over time

I think they'd be looking for you to be specific with the type of polystyrene and polyethylene so I talked about LDPE, HDPE, crystal polystyrene and expanded polystyrene just to be safe
same. I also drew the branching of LDPE and the dense HDPE as well.

nerdz1

HSC
Can somebody confirm this? I personally do not think it is D because despite the hydroxyl groups reacting in the middle correctly, if you have 2 of these units placed side by side, you would have a C - O - O - C bond which should't be so right?

I picked B because of this.

apurba

HSC
Can somebody confirm this? I personally do not think it is D because despite the hydroxyl groups reacting in the middle correctly, if you have 2 of these units placed side by side, you would have a C - O - O - C bond which should't be so right?

A polymer is a large molecule, or macromolecule, composed of many repeated subunits. Because of their broad range of properties, both synthetic and natural polymers play an essential and ubiquitous role in everyday life.

Note that it says "repeated subunits."

There are no repeated units for option B, and hence the answer must be D.

myinnermonkey

Time Lord Companion
HSC
lol, do you know what you are saying? When they say with reference to the graph, that means you only speak about temperatures and pressures. You wouldn't speak about ratio of reactants or concentrations of contaminants as it wasn't mentioned in the graph. 3 marks for temperature and 3 marks for pressure is enough, no need to speak about anything else unless if it relates to temperature (for example excessively high temperatures melt catalyst) and pressure (excessively high pressures are hard to maintain, dangerous, etc.)
Imo, 3 marks for each is like giving away easy marks, but I guess it depends on their marking criteria this year. But for an exam like that, I feel like they wouldn't be as lenient bc then it doesn't really distinguish the top students. Idk, I might be wrong and you could be right, but for sciences I think giving more information is better bc the criteria can be really specific :) but in this case talking about the catalyst does actually relate to temperature..

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC

Anyway though, it's not B, because by MC common sense

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
The question didn't specifically ask for temperature and pressure; they asked for conditions with reference to the graph. This means that you talk about all the conditions, and talk about the graph in relate to temp and pressure. To talk about temp conditions, you have to say that haber process uses moderate temperatures of 400-450 degrees, however the graph shows that maximum yield is obtained from 500atm and 200 degrees. This low temperature would however mean that the reaction rate is very slow so production isn't efficient, thus that's why 400 degrees is usually used. To further compensate for the slow reaction rate, magnetite catalyst is used. For a six mark question, I don't think talking only about temperature and pressure is enough tbh
do you think i can get full marks if i forgot the name of the catalyst lol. i wrote about temperature cant be too high or the catalyst will get damaged but never named it

myinnermonkey

Time Lord Companion
HSC
do you think i can get full marks if i forgot the name of the catalyst lol. i wrote about temperature cant be too high or the catalyst will get damaged but never named it
I don't think it's necessary to actually name the catalyst as long as you acknowledged it :)

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC
You want to be very specific and use scientific language when answering Science questions.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Lol as expected, equilibrium constant question was standard (they never really ask you harder ones).

kawaiipotato

HSC

That's what i thought but everyone is saying its D.

monopoly73

HSC
the past HSC question didnt say include a diagram either! i remember VIVIDLY being angry at the criteria since it didnt specify, but I learnt my lesson and drew a diagram of each one today.

I swear on my life brah
no he is right because my chem teacher is the head hsc marker for chemistry board of studies and she said that you needed a diagram

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
no he is right because my chem teacher is the head hsc marker for chemistry board of studies and she said that you needed a diagram
wtf ur not allowed to teach if you have impact on the tests conflict of interest reporting ur teacher to bostes

nerdz1

HSC
A polymer is a large molecule, or macromolecule, composed of many repeated subunits. Because of their broad range of properties, both synthetic and natural polymers play an essential and ubiquitous role in everyday life.

Note that it says "repeated subunits."

There are no repeated units for option B, and hence the answer must be D.
By IUPAC convention, the brackets imply the if you essentially place the unit side by side, then it should work out to be the actual polymer. However, with D, this does not work. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeat_unit and their example with condensation polymers. If you place the unit side by side, you get a C - O - C bond which works out correctly.

nerdz1

HSC
Can somebody who got 10.6 for the K question show me how they did it? Thanks :)

synx

HSC
Btw does anyone have any idea of when sample solutions may be posted up? thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)