MQ Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
I see on the enrollment tab of student.mq.edu that u can "plan" to enroll in semester 2 subjects. Is there any point doing that? If I don't do it will I lose out on spots or something next semester?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
well I am entering my 2nd year of uni (if that helps lol)
http://www.students.mq.edu.au/student_admin/enrolmentguide/reenrolmentpreparation/

The link below tells you when you can enrol.
http://www.students.mq.edu.au/stude...ate_unit_re-enrolment_and_class_registration/

Group D Completed 25-39 credit points Friday 27 January from 8am to 12am (Register for classes)
Group E Completed 19-24 credit points Monday 30 January from 8am to 12am (Register for classes)
Group F Completed 0-18 credit points Tuesday 31 January from 8am to 12am(Register for classes)

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
I see on the enrollment tab of student.mq.edu that u can "plan" to enroll in semester 2 subjects. Is there any point doing that? If I don't do it will I lose out on spots or something next semester?
Well it means that you can give work your available hours for next semester already.

If you book into semester 2 subjects now, then you avoid the risk of your preferred lecture times becoming full.

Doesn't really matter whether you enrol in second semester stuff or not.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Opinions on difficulty of MKTG101 vs ECON110 vs BBA102?

I'm seeing mixed opinions of MKTG101 being hard/easy. Not sure if I should do ECON110 as content overload of economics might overwhelm me (didn't do HSC Eco). Heard BBA102 is a WAM Booster.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Well it means that you can give work your available hours for next semester already.

If you book into semester 2 subjects now, then you avoid the risk of your preferred lecture times becoming full.

Additionally more classes tend to open later, closer to when semester starts. I usually end up with a better timetable in semester 2 simply because I've got months to figure it out. It is nice to have your timetable sorted months in advance :lol:

Zoinked

Beast
HSC

I'm such a nerd I enrolled and sorted out a GOAT time table for semester 2 as well haha.

@BLITZ, thoughts on textbooks? Necessary or not? its meant to cost me around $600 to buy textbooks for first semester alone.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
I'm such a nerd I enrolled and sorted out a GOAT time table for semester 2 as well haha.

@BLITZ, thoughts on textbooks? Necessary or not? its meant to cost me around $600 to buy textbooks for first semester alone.
A tip I heard was to attend lectures for a few weeks to see if they're really needed.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad

Depends on the subject. For subjects that have homework you can always take photos of the homework questions from a library version of the textbook which you can always get out for several hours on a loan.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Opinions on difficulty of MKTG101 vs ECON110 vs BBA102?

I'm seeing mixed opinions of MKTG101 being hard/easy. Not sure if I should do ECON110 as content overload of economics might overwhelm me (didn't do HSC Eco). Heard BBA102 is a WAM Booster.
BBA102 is a bit of a hit and miss subject as well. I'd say MKTG101 would be more consistently a WAM Booster as it is very similar to Business Studies.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
A few things with textbooks:
-Some classes have digital versions. These tend to be cheaper.
-See if you can find second hand textbooks in Facebook groups or on sites like Textbook Exchange
-Textbooks often sell out at the Co-Op and you could be waiting a while for new stock to arrive. In this case you'll need to visit the library and find the content you need. If this is the case, I'd recommend photocoping or photographing questions for several weeks (and read them then and there to make sure the don't refer you to somewhere else!) So you have a copy.

Some units you need textbooks because you'll do a lot of your work from questions within them. Accg100 and Accg101 use the same textbook, so you'll only need one copy for the whole year. Accg200 and accg301 also had the same book, but that's not quite relevant to you yet. I recall some tutorials for accg100 were adamant you had a copy of the book with you in class, others cared only if you had prepared the work. I'm not sure which unit it was where we did an in class question that was marked, so you needed a copy in order to do it!

I think centerlink also has a loan they do once a semester for students. Somebody here might have more information on that.

Personally, if you can't afford to buy the books, figure out which you absolutely need and buy the cheapest option. Visit the library and take photos of anything you need for what you don't buy.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I stopped buying textbooks at Co-op... jekkle is my saviour uahaha. All the textbooks i have bought, particularly if i've had to purchase a new edition were like $30 cheaper with free shipping.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Also if anyone needs any of these textbooks let me know and I'd be happy to sell them to you !

Management Accountin- 7e - Langfield Smith, Thorne, Smith and Hilton
E-Business: Organisational and Technical Foundations - Papazoglou and Ribbers
Information Technology for Management - 10th Edition - Turban, Volonino and Wood
Intermediate Financial Accounting (Accg224 Custom Publication) - Leo, Loftus and Rankin
Systems Design and Analysis - 9th Edition - Kendall and Kendall
Modern Database Management - 11th Edition - Hotter, Ramesh and Took
Information Technology Auditing - 4th Edition - Hall
Accounting - 9th Edition - Hoggett, Edwards et all.

My textbooks for this semester still aren't listed yet so some of the IT books are pending, but all the accounting ones are 200% available.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I did ACST101 and ACCG101 last sem.

I have the following textbooks available:

1. ACCG100/101 - Carlon, S., McAlpine-Mladenovic, R., Palm, C., Mitrione, L., Kirk, N. and Wong, L. (2016) 'Financial Accounting: Reporting, Analysis and Decision Making', Wiley, QLD, Australia.

2. ACST101 - Parino, R. et al. 2014. Fundamentals of Corporate Finance (Australian 2nd Ed.). Milton, QLD: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.

The finance textbook I bought second hand from Co-op.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
ProdigyInspired I remembered something that you should consider with your timetable.

There are these extra classes called PAL. Basically they're a study/revision session for your units run by a student who did really well in that unit in the past.

Many of us here have regularly attended them, and they're fantastic.

Even if you aren't struggling, they're great for revision and notes and the people are great too.

Your timetable may not allow for you to attend these, but they are worth it.

Try looking up PAL MQ on Google and see if the new timetables are up.

Free extra classes are always great :)

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
ProdigyInspired I remembered something that you should consider with your timetable.

There are these extra classes called PAL. Basically they're a study/revision session for your units run by a student who did really well in that unit in the past.

Many of us here have regularly attended them, and they're fantastic.

Even if you aren't struggling, they're great for revision and notes and the people are great too.

Your timetable may not allow for you to attend these, but they are worth it.

Try looking up PAL MQ on Google and see if the new timetables are up.

Free extra classes are always great :)
Thanks for the heads up. They aren't up yet. I ended up putting two of my tuts on a separate day and see how I go. If I can cope for the first half-semester I'll switch over.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Sounds like a good plan.

After a semester it's going to be much easier for you to figure out what will and won't work for you.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Happy with it? :)
Well except for the clashing lecture for the morning that meant a night lecture I am!

Got exactly what I planned it to look like based on the 2017 timetable dates that they'd released.However 10 minutes after timetables openned today 12 classes were full(out of multiple subjects but still)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)