USyd Chatter Thread 2017 (1 Viewer)

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Doing pretty well. I'm loving all of the subjects I'm doing this semester.

And I've got my graduation ceremony on Thursday.

sea-r-du

HSC
N/A
Doing pretty well. I'm loving all of the subjects I'm doing this semester.

And I've got my graduation ceremony on Thursday.
Congratulations! Just curious, is there a fee payable to attend your ceremony? I know other unis (unsw) apparently have to pay $160 for one. Also would you get a plaque or a frame for your testamur?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
There aren't any fees for the ceremony itself, although you will have to hire academic dress. The frame is an optional extra that you can buy from the Sydney Store.

sea-r-du

HSC
N/A
Guys, I'm planning to do a 2nd major in Information Systems. The requirement for a IS major is "For a major in Information Systems the minimum requirement is 24 credit points chosen from the senior units of study listed for this subject area." Having said that, I don't necessarily have to complete INFO1105: Data Structures, which is a Junior Level unit, just INFO1103 is enough in order to proceed into 2nd year INFO/ISYS/COMP subjects and then into 3rd year - as long I've satisfied the pre-requisite, is that right?

sida1049

HSC
Guys, I'm planning to do a 2nd major in Information Systems. The requirement for a IS major is "For a major in Information Systems the minimum requirement is 24 credit points chosen from the senior units of study listed for this subject area." Having said that, I don't necessarily have to complete INFO1105: Data Structures, which is a Junior Level unit, just INFO1103 is enough in order to proceed into 2nd year INFO/ISYS/COMP subjects and then into 3rd year - as long I've satisfied the pre-requisite, is that right?
Not sure if this is relevant, but it might be worth-while to note that unit of studies can't double count towards your majors. So while INFO3315 Human-Computer Interaction can count towards a computer science or an information systems major, it can't count towards both simultaneously. But as long as you have 48 senior credit points counting towards both of your majors (24 credit points each), you're fine. (So in the event that you wish to double major in computer science and information systems, it would be in your interest to do INFO1105 since it increases the number of senior units available to you. I can't remember your first major so this may not be relevant, lol.)

Also, I totally recommend INFO1105 if you are considering a computer science major (or more generally, any major that requires programming, since INFO1105 is your first real encounter with the problem of optimising performance). I did meh in INFO1103, but completely smashed INFO1105 just because the content was a lot more interesting. The coding isn't really any more tedious than INFO1103, since they don't actually want you to write fully function programs, but to get the overall structure of your program right (so thankfully I could forget 40-50% of INFO1103, including exceptions and reading/writing to files). (I also found the workload of INFO1105 to be less than that of INFO1103.)

sea-r-du

HSC
N/A
Not sure if this is relevant, but it might be worth-while to note that unit of studies can't double count towards your majors. So while INFO3315 Human-Computer Interaction can count towards a computer science or an information systems major, it can't count towards both simultaneously. But as long as you have 48 senior credit points counting towards both of your majors (24 credit points each), you're fine. (So in the event that you wish to double major in computer science and information systems, it would be in your interest to do INFO1105 since it increases the number of senior units available to you. I can't remember your first major so this may not be relevant, lol.)

Also, I totally recommend INFO1105 if you are considering a computer science major (or more generally, any major that requires programming, since INFO1105 is your first real encounter with the problem of optimising performance). I did meh in INFO1103, but completely smashed INFO1105 just because the content was a lot more interesting. The coding isn't really any more tedious than INFO1103, since they don't actually want you to write fully function programs, but to get the overall structure of your program right (so thankfully I could forget 40-50% of INFO1103, including exceptions and reading/writing to files). (I also found the workload of INFO1105 to be less than that of INFO1103.)
Yeah I've thought about doing Computer Science as a 2nd major but I'm more interested into the project management side of things, so I think IS would suit better for this case. Haha my 1st major would either be in Statistics, Maths or even Psychology - depending how i'll feel by the end of the year. I'll definitely have a look into INFO1105 but for now I think that I focus on INFO1103, and see how it goes.

marxman

HSC
Hoo boy, The USA could have just used the INFO1903 Midsem instead of that MOAB. Note to future people who have no coding experience wanting to try out CS: fuck advanced informatics :)

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone know of any (relatively) easy finance/commerce subjects that I can do next sem? Thinking about doing ECMT1020 or INFS1000, but not sure what other 2 subjects to pick. Maybe Trading & Dealing (FINC3014)? QBUS2810? Anyone got any ideas?

sida1049

HSC
Does anyone know of any (relatively) easy finance/commerce subjects that I can do next sem? Thinking about doing ECMT1020 or INFS1000, but not sure what other 2 subjects to pick. Maybe Trading & Dealing (FINC3014)? QBUS2810? Anyone got any ideas?
Do you mean units of study specifically administrated by the Faculty of Commerce, or "commerce-y" units of study? Since ECMT is technically administrated by the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences...

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you mean units of study specifically administrated by the Faculty of Commerce, or "commerce-y" units of study? Since ECMT is technically administrated by the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences...
I do comm/engg, so I thought it'd be only business school units, apparently not though since I can also do ECMT units. I can do ACCT, CLAW, ECMT, ECOS, FINC, IBUS, INFS, MKTG, QBUS and WORK units.

Am I even still allowed to do junior electives though? I'm in my 4th year and according to cusp I can only do junior electives until my 3rd year, but people don't really follow cusp so not entirely sure if it's being truthful...

I realised I didn't actually answer your question: as long as I'm allowed to do the subject in my degree, I don't mind what unit of study it is, whether it's administrated by the Faculty of Commerce or is a commerce-y type of unit.

sida1049

HSC
I do comm/engg, so I thought it'd be only business school units, apparently not though since I can also do ECMT units. I can do ACCT, CLAW, ECMT, ECOS, FINC, IBUS, INFS, MKTG, QBUS and WORK units.

Am I even still allowed to do junior electives though? I'm in my 4th year and according to cusp I can only do junior electives until my 3rd year, but people don't really follow cusp so not entirely sure if it's being truthful...

I realised I didn't actually answer your question: as long as I'm allowed to do the subject in my degree, I don't mind what unit of study it is, whether it's administrated by the Faculty of Commerce or is a commerce-y type of unit.
Hmm that's interesting. If you've done your fair share of mathematical statistics, ECMT units are piss-easy (at least for first and second year). Unfortunately that's the extent of my knowledge for those subjects lol. Are you allowed to do ECON units? Since they are the first-year equivalent of ECOS units, and are generally considered to be easy.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm that's interesting. If you've done your fair share of mathematical statistics, ECMT units are piss-easy (at least for first and second year). Unfortunately that's the extent of my knowledge for those subjects lol. Are you allowed to do ECON units? Since they are the first-year equivalent of ECOS units, and are generally considered to be easy.
Haha every bit of info is helpful. I'm allowed to do ECON1002 (and have done it), but not sure if I'm allowed to do other ECON units. I can add ECON1005 in my UoS selection in Sydney Student (I assume this means I'm allowed to do it) but I have never heard of ECON1005 until tonight so I'm a bit skeptical about the subject, but the tute and lecture for it is on a Friday which is not ideal.

sida1049

HSC
Haha every bit of info is helpful. I'm allowed to do ECON1002 (and have done it), but not sure if I'm allowed to do other ECON units. I can add ECON1005 in my UoS selection in Sydney Student (I assume this means I'm allowed to do it) but I have never heard of ECON1005 until tonight so I'm a bit skeptical about the subject, but the tute and lecture for it is on a Friday which is not ideal.
What about ECON1006 The Economics of Everything? It sure sounds interesting, and given how eclectic it is, I doubt it would be considered difficult.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
lol yeah came across that one too, definitely an interesting sounding subject. I think as long as ECMT1020 lecture is recorded, that might actually not be bad. I'll just need to double check with usyd that I'm actually allowed to do ECON1006. Thanks for your help :)

sida1049

HSC
lol yeah came across that one too, definitely an interesting sounding subject. I think as long as ECMT1020 lecture is recorded, that might actually not be bad. I'll just need to double check with usyd that I'm actually allowed to do ECON1006. Thanks for your help :)
Can confirm: the ECMT1020 lectures are recorded, and as long as you've done some kind of statistics (e.g. MATH1X05), it's a piece of cake (I'm in the course right now).

Good luck!

Edit: Also, no compulsory attendance for tutorials are labs either.

Last edited:

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Can confirm: the ECMT1020 lectures are recorded, and as long as you've done some kind of statistics (e.g. MATH1X05), it's a piece of cake (I'm in the course right now).

Good luck!

Edit: Also, no compulsory attendance for tutorials are labs either.
Sweet. I did 1905, but that was a loooong time ago (for reference, I'm now in my 4th year...) but shouldn't be too bad hopefully. I usually try and make it to labs/tutes for subjects though, hate doing study at home.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)