First Year Mathematics A (Differentiation & Linear Algebra) (1 Viewer)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Re: MATH1131 help thread

How do you know what function to pick out for g(x)?
When x is large, f(x) "looks like" x/(2x^3) = 1/(2x^2), because the -1 on the denominator becomes negligible. So we know we want to compare f(x) to 1/(2x^2) (or can just do it to 1/x^2, since all we need is the limit of f(x)/g(x) to be a positive constant), and this is helpful because we know the convergence status of the improper integral of 1/(x^2).

Last edited:

matchalolz

HSC

I'm not following how we went from the first step to the second step

Screen Shot 2017-06-03 at 11.02.03 am.png

matchalolz

HSC

Why are we multiplying cos(x^6) by 3*x^2?

Screen Shot 2017-06-03 at 3.35.50 pm.png

Rip finals

matchalolz

HSC

We're multiplying it by the derivative of the x^3 in the integral upper limit, because of the chain rule.
why do we need to do this? can you elaborate on this please?

matchalolz

HSC

is it like y = F(x^3)

and because F(x^3) is a function of a function, to differentiate y with respect to x you go (3*x^2)*F'(x), where F'(x) = f(x) = cos(x^6)

leehuan

HSC
I know that the answer is . But I don't know how to properly set out a logical answer because they wanted us to explicitly state any tests we use and how we used it. So I was just looking for some guidance on how I can set out a response?

(I don't remember if I already asked this question either)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I know that the answer is . But I don't know how to properly set out a logical answer because they wanted us to explicitly state any tests we use and how we used it. So I was just looking for some guidance on how I can set out a response?

(I don't remember if I already asked this question either)

Last edited:

matchalolz

HSC
I'm back for another semester of struggling through math

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 3.57.58 pm.png

Can someone explain this?

Sorry if this is so basic but I legit don't get it

Sp3ctre

HSC
I'm back for another semester of struggling through math

View attachment 34159

Can someone explain this?

Sorry if this is so basic but I legit don't get it
You could also use the the differentiation: d(tan^-1(x/a))/dx = a/(a^2+x^2).

Although this method is easier when you're differentiating something in the form tan^-1(x/a), you can treat a as 1/2 and you will get:

-1/2/(1/2)^2 + x^2

= -1/2/(1/4 + x^2)

Times numerator and denominator by 4:

= -2/(1+4x^2)

Edit: As suggested by He-Mann, although this method can be significantly easier to differentiate certain functions, it is best avoided if you do not have a conceptual understanding of differentiation of inverse trig functions since you are just plugging in values into a formula

Last edited:

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
You could also use the the differentiation: d(tan^-1(x/a))/dx = a/(a^2+x^2).

Although this method is easier when you're differentiating something in the form tan^-1(x/a), you can treat a as 1/2 and you will get:

-1/2/(1/2)^2 + x^2

= -1/2/(1/4 + x^2)

Times numerator and denominator by 4:

= -2/(1+4x^2)
This is just mindlessly plugging into formulas which should be avoided at all costs for this case. matchalolz does not have a good idea of how to do this fundamental question so giving formulas without explanation/proof is worthless for the purposes of learning which is top priority in this case.

Whenever you make a claim, it is best to provide proof because the reader does not necessarily believe whatever you say unless it's trivial.

Sp3ctre

HSC
This is just mindlessly plugging into formulas which should be avoided at all costs for this case. matchalolz does not have a good idea of how to do this fundamental question so giving formulas without explanation/proof is worthless for the purposes of learning which is top priority in this case.

Whenever you make a claim, it is best to provide proof because the reader does not necessarily believe whatever you say unless it's trivial.
You're right, sorry. I don't know why but I thought for a second that I could somehow help by giving an alternate solution and thought that it would add to his knowledge of how to tackle those types of questions. Apologies for my stupidity :spin:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)