Australian Maths Competition (1 Viewer)

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
Hey, I've got some questions that I haven't been able to do. Would anyone care to do these questions as practice and offer an explanation? Thanks.

http://imgur.com/a/YfigO
For the third question from the top,

For the reader to think about:

a) Why can't we use infinitely many 1s and -1s during the prime factorization?

b) Why does the 'worst-case' polynomial have 9 integer solutions?

Last edited:

si2136

HSC
N/A
Senior was earlier than previous years I reckon this year. Couldn't do the last question though ran out of time. But the other 4 I think I did it right

Mongoose528

HSC
Senior was earlier than previous years I reckon this year. Couldn't do the last question though ran out of time. But the other 4 I think I did it right
You seem a great chance for a medal. I'm pretty confident I got 87 points and I'm hoping that one of the 3 I guessed were correct.

Mongoose528

HSC
Surely you'd get a prize. I'm hoping for a prize, fed up of missing on them by 2/3 points.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Surely you'd get a prize. I'm hoping for a prize, fed up of missing on them by 2/3 points.
Depends on how the cohort goes. There were 3 others that I had to guess that were between 2 choices.

Mongoose528

HSC
Yeah, I did. Do you know what's the right answer for the toy soldier question?
Didn't get up to it :/, only had time to concentrate on the first 27 questions, I hate the short time limit. What did you get for 26/27?

mathpie

HSC
N/A
Re: Westpac Maths Comp marathon

What did everyone get for the last 5 (free response) questions in the senior division? I couldn't get any.. lol

Mongoose528

HSC
How would you solve this algebraically: A nude number is a natural number of whose digits are a factor of the number. Find all 3 digit nude numbers where no digits are repeated.

Can't seem to make in roads :/

I can solve it case by case, but I want to know a quicker way of how to do it.

Mongoose528

HSC
There was this question from the Intermediate section (the last one).

It was something like: find how many digits are in a googolplex (10^10 to the power of 100).

I'm getting 102, because 10^100 should be 1 followed by 100 zeros right? So if that's the case, shouldn't 10 to the power of 10 to the power of 100 be 102 digits since it's 10 to the power of 1 and 100 zeros? Some people are telling me it's 101 digits.
1 followed by 100 zeros is 101 digits

si2136

HSC
N/A
Re: Westpac Maths Comp marathon

What did everyone get for the last 5 (free response) questions in the senior division? I couldn't get any.. lol
I'm trying to remember a q from there, can u recall all of them?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)