HSC Standard/Advanced Paper 1 Exam Thoughts (1 Viewer)

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Thinking back on S1, I think Text 2 is a lot more literal than I'd thought. I can't think of any subtler meaning than exploring the Antarctic, plus the questions on it were more "what techniques conveyed ___" rather than "how did the text show that discoveries are ___".

Unrelated, but anyone reckon they'll ask for 2 related texts for Adv Mod C?

PikyoK

HSC
My prescribed texts definitely fit into the question. I did Rober Gray's "Meatworks" and "North Coast Town" along with my related text "Spirited Away" by Hayao Miyazaki. I must admit, I did use a lot of 'confronting, provocative and unpleasant" in my essay.

cherryboi

HSC
Do u have 2 related texts for mod c? because i dont.

Will use my related for discovery- worst case scenario :uhoh:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
if they say 'to what extent' are we allowed to agree on some parts of the statement and disagree on other parts of the statement? or does it have to be a full yes or no
Yes you can.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Really fkn big. About 1-4 words per line. It's still mostly legible, just a pain in the ass to deal with all the booklets on such a small desk.
Okay I was going to say otherwise you might be one of the writing record setters for HSC.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Overall reasonably hard actually I though

Short answer was alright- very very strange layout

Essay was meh the ideas in the question re rediscovery really didn’t suit our prescribed- Motorcycle Diaries

Story was alright just had to rush slightly
our prescribed text was also mcd!!! our whole grade basically died when we saw the rediscovery bit hahah
Tbh for motorcycle diaries it's hard to do rediscovery UNLESS you prepared quotes specifically for it, because in the text he does reflect on his journey quite a bit but it'd be hard to do unless you specifically prepared quotes for it. For example in that opening part (forgot what it was) I think he reflects on how he's changed? Sorry don't really remember the text... Or you could take the approach of some people and talk about how his discoveries were definitely new.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone want to show us their favourite meme about the paper?

Last edited:

impulsebro89

HSC
Paper 1 was actually not too bad. It's weird how they didn't have any 2 markers in the SA but there's basically no difference haha.
SA was pretty good (fav. section)
Creative prompt was pretty weird, having 2 perspectives of discovery. Hopefully the markers are more lenient.
Essay was alright as well

Good luck for Paper 2 tomorrow!

jjuunnee

HSC
Tbh for motorcycle diaries it's hard to do rediscovery UNLESS you prepared quotes specifically for it, because in the text he does reflect on his journey quite a bit but it'd be hard to do unless you specifically prepared quotes for it. For example in that opening part (forgot what it was) I think he reflects on how he's changed? Sorry don't really remember the text... Or you could take the approach of some people and talk about how his discoveries were definitely new.
yeah i think i just bullshitted it a bit and said that his discoveries werent ALWAYS new (bc that was the question) and so sometimes they were and sometimes they werent. i think i said how his discovery of poverty and stuff wasnt entirely new since he was already somewhat aware of the social context at that time and so i said that it extended his existent understanding. i think i mentioned that since he has many accumulative discoveries of poverty/injustice that every one after the first one was a rediscovery lol. it was super dodgy hahaha

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
For me essay question was good, suited my essay well, creative response was good suited, the short answers on the other hand.....

Don't think I did too badly in short answer tho.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
The essay question was really good for the essay I had prepared (at least I think). I had written about how discoveries rely on people's morals and surroundings to transform their attitudes, so obviously they're not completely new, and about how in my related intellectual discoveries are bad (and Prospero in the tempest becomes corrupt because of all the knowledge he has 'discovered') etc.

Didn't end up memorising it though...

The creative was pretty stock standard imo

Interesting to not have a visual in the SA and I was kind of surprised it was only 3 texts instead of 4? Techniques were difficult for text 1 & 3 but I guess I kind of enjoyed reading them

Not as bad as I expected...

Last edited:

brbstudying

HSC
For TMD, I wrote that discoveries aren't new because there has always been poverty on the Latin American landscape due to Guevara's historical context (WWII - worldwide food shortages, inflation, they depended on the US a lot, and this was all evident in South Africa) (Most of my prepared essay was about Guevara discovering poverty/oppression and its impacts etc anyway) Like it may be new for him, but it's actually not because it has always been there and I talked about the people and how they were already aware

Last edited:

brbstudying

HSC
I had no idea of the rediscovery bit though, like I never thought about it that way o_O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)