HSC Standard/Advanced Paper 1 Exam Thoughts (1 Viewer)

MONONYMOUS

HSC
Wouldn't it be better if English was cut into two categories, the first being communication and life skills, and the other being the study of literature? Analysing a text and identifying the 'deliberate' literary techniques that authors use in their texts is never going to be of any use to most of us

justin28272

HSC
I found the short answer question on the rise of Hitler to be the most difficult, it really caught me off guard.

Idkwhattoput

HSC
Uni Grad
Did anyone else know that we were going to be given writing space for the short answer questions? I was prepared to write in booklets until I turned over the page. Caught me off guard because I had to write all my answers in a smaller space
Yeah. They said it in the video they put on the site

mal22113

HSC
Ye, I think hey made this new syllabus too hard. They expect us to memorise and have quotes ready for every kind of random idea the throw at us? I mean, I don't think many people expected love from a book about hanging witches...
The Crucible question was a real wild card...the play is about the dangers of persecuting individuals without evidence and Miller was using it didactically to warn 1950s America that history was repeating itself with the Red Scare etc. and NESA seriously got LOVE as a key concern?? Did they even read the text??? Somehow managed to link my argument back to how the play presented the dangers of hatred and therefore showing why love is necessary but like that's a bit of a stretch and I doubt many people actually had clear arguments lol (only other potential discussion topic that comes to mind is the affair between Abigail and Proctor which is a bit yikes when considering Abigail was originally meant to be 12)
I agree! We also study the The Crucible! If they want unprepared responses then they should get rid of the prescribed text section entirely otherwise they should give us more time!! And what even were those texts in section 1 - I found them super hard to understand - had like 1 technique only for each text in the 5 marker comparative :(

Not sure about what others did for The Crucible, but I managed to write 10 pages combining the theme of love with hysteria and moral integrity as individuals act to protect/abandon those they love, highlighting the need for love and its importance in today's society... seemed to work really well with a lot of people at Scots writing about it as well ...:eek::p like what Nicholaii did but in more depth...hopefully, Paper2 won't be as specific as those questions though o_Oo_O

Also, our pre-trial paper was based on Justice in The Crucible ;0 so was expecting NESA to throw a random human experience into the question tbh...

Last edited:

BMWM2

HSC
Overall I found the paper fairly enjoyable - Essay was pretty tough as expected (I did 1984 and I feel the question was quite oddly specific for common mod) but the short answers were pre good - the last one was actually interesting - onto Paper 2 now, Mod A and B will be fine, C will be a bit scary purely because of the trepidation, I along with all of us here have no idea what to expect (well, we do kinda but still, limited resources)

StudyOnly

HSC
Not sure about what others did for The Crucible, but I managed to write 10 pages combining the theme of love with hysteria and moral integrity as individuals act to protect/abandon those they love, highlighting the need for love and its importance in today's society... seemed to work really well with a lot of people at Scots writing about it as well ...:eek::p like what Nicholaii did but in more depth...hopefully, Paper2 won't be as specific as those questions though o_Oo_O

Also, our pre-trial paper was based on Justice in The Crucible ;0 so was expecting NESA to throw a random human experience into the question tbh...
I wrote something similar, although there wasn't much depth/analysis to it. Also, 10 pages in 45mins?!

LostCrypt

HSC
I found an image of the poster (standard text 1). Will I get into trouble for posting it?

mal22113

HSC
I wrote something similar, although there wasn't much depth/analysis to it. Also, 10 pages in 45mins?!
yeah... I got my short answers done in 37 minutes so spent the remainder on the essay...:):)

Last edited:

akkjen

HSC
N/A
does anyone know if we need to explicitly write quotes from our prescribed texts for module C in our reflection?
e.g.
I used visual imagery because Arthur Miller used visual imagery in the quote, "quote"

karishmaxyo

HSC
does anyone know if we need to explicitly write quotes from our prescribed texts for module C in our reflection?
e.g.
I used visual imagery because Arthur Miller used visual imagery in the quote, "quote"
We've been told to give examples so I think your better off doing it

Idkwhattoput

HSC
Uni Grad
I found an image of the poster (standard text 1). Will I get into trouble for posting it?
Wait. I do advanced. Is it possible you guys got a poster and we didn't?

Edit: After seeing the poster, I realise we definitely did not have a poster. I guess it was unique to standard.

shohaalam

HSC
Imo the essay for 1984 was good as all themes could be adapted to it. Plus any rote learners would have struggled with it. Short answer on the other hand was just too hard. The texts were simply too complicated. I think they mixed questions 1 and 3. Text 1 was full of metaphors yet they asked text 3 bout it
100000000000% agree. also, they didn't put any images in short answer AND they put two 5 markers???? bruh, that's literally 2 mini essays that ate up so much of my time clufnlvjbsnldf

Black Elmo

HSC
Did anyone else know that we were going to be given writing space for the short answer questions? I was prepared to write in booklets until I turned over the page. Caught me off guard because I had to write all my answers in a smaller space
all the booklets and things were a mess and added to the stress

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)