$50K Psychology Scholarship at Macquarie vs Psychology at USYD (1 Viewer)

bellatrix123

HSC
So I just got awarded a $50K scholarship ($10 K per annum for 5 years) for the course I want (Bachelor of Psychology) and early entry for the psychology honours program at Macquarie University. I'm so conflicted though...I've heard that the psychology program at USYD is really good, and it is more prestigious and academic.

Which would look better for future employers...studying with a scholarship at Macquarie or at just a bachelor at USYD?

Which uni should I go for, and should I take the scholarship? I like the USYD campus better and it seems more social, but on the other hand Macquarie seems much more chill and flexible with timetabling.

*also I heard it's very competitive to get into honours at USYD for psychology.

bellatrix123

HSC
Thank you so much for your reply! Yea, isn't USYD honours REALLY REALLY hard !! Ok :) I'm gonna consider taking the scholarship then AHAH ! Do you know much about UNSW Psych as well? (though the trimesters freak me out) !

Adamconnor12

HSC
So I just got awarded a $50K scholarship ($10 K per annum for 5 years) for the course I want (Bachelor of Psychology) and early entry for the psychology honours program at Macquarie University. I'm so conflicted though...I've heard that the psychology program at USYD is really good, and it is more prestigious and academic.

Which would look better for future employers...studying with a scholarship at Macquarie or at just a bachelor at USYD?

Which uni should I go for, and should I take the scholarship? I like the USYD campus better and it seems more social, but on the other hand Macquarie seems much more chill and flexible with timetabling.

*also I heard it's very competitive to get into honours at USYD for psychology.
Was that the Leaders Scholarship? If you don’t mind me asking what ranks did you get (and what is your school rank) for the year 11 scores to get that? That is if it is the one I am thinking of...

SM2001

HSC
N/A
bear in mind that MQ is potentially axeing their faculty of human sciences. You should email/contact them about the status of that as it will defintiely impact the quality of education for degrees like psych

bellatrix123

HSC
Was that the Leaders Scholarship? If you don’t mind me asking what ranks did you get (and what is your school rank) for the year 11 scores to get that? That is if it is the one I am thinking of...
Yea it was !! I actually handed in my year 12 report, they're flexible with what report you give.

I was
- Biology rank 2/60
- English 30/157
- 2 u maths 44/90
- 3 u maths 30/70
- IPT 2/16
- PDHPE 2/15

But i think they're more interested in your extracurricular activities and any changes you made to your community!

bellatrix123

HSC
bear in mind that MQ is potentially axeing their faculty of human sciences. You should email/contact them about the status of that as it will defintiely impact the quality of education for degrees like psych
Thanks for replying, what do you mean by "axeing their faculty of human sciences?" as in cutting costs ? :0

Adamconnor12

HSC
Yea it was !! I actually handed in my year 12 report, they're flexible with what report you give.

I was
- Biology rank 2/60
- English 30/157
- 2 u maths 44/90
- 3 u maths 30/70
- IPT 2/16
- PDHPE 2/15

But i think they're more interested in your extracurricular activities and any changes you made to your community!
Thanks for the reply - well done on your results and the scholarship! Were you a school captain/school leader?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for replying, what do you mean by "axeing their faculty of human sciences?" as in cutting costs ? :0
Cutting staff and merging degrees such as Pysch into different faculties. Not much information has been released yet so we can not really tell you more.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe accept Macquarie now and move USYD to your highest UAC preference. Next I’d suggest that you defer USYD offer so if you decide you don’t want to go to Macquarie anymore you can take up the USYD offer down the track. Note you may be required to pay back some of the scholarship but I’d contact Macquarie for more information surrounding that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)