Do you want to go to a US or UK University? (1 Viewer)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
For OxBridge they pretty much only look at your ATAR, a good interview on top of that will can almost guarantee you. If you have an ATAR below 98.5 however, they won't even bother to look at your entire application.
Not entirely true. SATs can also be extremely helpful when applying. Most students apply well and sit the enterance exams well before they have undertaken the HSC exams, let alone received their ATARs.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh okay. So do you think I should only spend money on the interview only if I am almost certain that I could make it through, or is it worth a shot?
Do you have a method of paying international student fees? They are quite substantial and you are unlikely to be able to take out loans.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, would my atar be sufficient enough to apply for a degree in science at Oxbridge?
You will also need to do the enterance exams, but it should suffice. Which science are you interested in applying for? Chemistry?

Arrowshaft

HSC
You will also need to do the enterance exams, but it should suffice. Which science are you interested in applying for? Chemistry?
Physics. And my parents should be able to cover the payments required for the university (although I don’t want to put them through that). I think upon reconsideration though it would be more pragmatic for me to apply to international unis during post grad rather than undergrad, but I’ll still keep my options open I guess.

TheOnePheeph

HSC
I cannot afford a foreign undergrad degree, but just wondering, how difficult is it to get into a well ranked US university for a pHD/graduate program, coming from an Australian university? I am considering the possibility of pursuing a pHD in maths, if my uni marks are good enough.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
I cannot afford a foreign undergrad degree, but just wondering, how difficult is it to get into a well ranked US university for a pHD/graduate program, coming from an Australian university? I am considering the possibility of pursuing a pHD in maths, if my uni marks are good enough.
It really depends which schools you want to go - it's not hard at all to get into a PhD program, but yeah it isn't easy if you're looking for the top schools. Graduate school applications are mostly based off academics and relevant research experience, whereas undergrad focuses a lot on extracirricular etc. Australian degrees are fine when it comes to apply for graduate study in the US. However, keep in mind that you need a 4 year degree to get into a US institution, so you'd need honours if you're in a standard 3yr science degree. I'm only familiar with the selection process for engineering schools, so I'm not too familiar with math. I do have a bunch of friends who did their math PhD from Columbia and Harvard. However, they also did their UG in the US and were all olympians, so it's not really a fair example.

HSC
Not entirely true. SATs can also be extremely helpful when applying. Most students apply well and sit the enterance exams well before they have undertaken the HSC exams, let alone received their ATARs.
In the UK there are no SATs. There are only the entrance exams you do which depend on which degree you choose to apply for.

HSC
It really depends which schools you want to go - it's not hard at all to get into a PhD program, but yeah it isn't easy if you're looking for the top schools. Graduate school applications are mostly based off academics and relevant research experience, whereas undergrad focuses a lot on extracirricular etc. Australian degrees are fine when it comes to apply for graduate study in the US. However, keep in mind that you need a 4 year degree to get into a US institution, so you'd need honours if you're in a standard 3yr science degree. I'm only familiar with the selection process for engineering schools, so I'm not too familiar with math. I do have a bunch of friends who did their math PhD from Columbia and Harvard. However, they also did their UG in the US and were all olympians, so it's not really a fair example.
You’re correct, another thing is that in order to get into a Postgraduate OR PhD, to boost your chances significantly you’ll need to be at a Go8 University and be in the top percentile if you cohort amongst other things.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
In the UK there are no SATs. There are only the entrance exams you do which depend on which degree you choose to apply for.
UK Universities are more then happy to look at SAT results if undertaken by International Students. I know of a fair few Australian applicants to Oxbridge who had their SAT results help push their application up. Just because it is not a “UK Secondary” thing does not mean for international students it is not helpful as part of their application process.

HSC
UK Universities are more then happy to look at SAT results if undertaken by International Students. I know of a fair few Australian applicants to Oxbridge who had their SAT results help push their application up. Just because it is not a “UK Secondary” thing does not mean for international students it is not helpful as part of their application process.
Yes, that’s more common for US Students applying to the UK. As that is there secondary school qualification. We don’t recommend Australian students to do that and focus on getting the best ATAR they can get.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Physics. And my parents should be able to cover the payments required for the university (although I don’t want to put them through that). I think upon reconsideration though it would be more pragmatic for me to apply to international unis during post grad rather than undergrad, but I’ll still keep my options open I guess.
I’d still apply you might regret not applying for undegraduate and it is good practice for Post Grad applications.

TheOnePheeph

HSC
You’re correct, another thing is that in order to get into a Postgraduate OR PhD, to boost your chances significantly you’ll need to be at a Go8 University and be in the top percentile if you cohort amongst other things.
What are the Go8 universities? I'm either going to be going to ANU or USyd for maths and I heard they both are internationally recognised. I won't be able to afford to do undergrad at an Ivy league uni though and I also have no olymiad experience so as silly as it is I would have no chance getting in.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
What are the Go8 universities? I'm either going to be going to ANU or USyd for maths and I heard they both are internationally recognised. I won't be able to afford to do undergrad at an Ivy league uni though and I also have no olymiad experience so as silly as it is I would have no chance getting in.
ANU and USyd are both Go8, Group of Eight (Go8) is just a group of the older ("sandstone") research focussed universities in Australia - ANU, USyd, UNSW, Melbourne, Monash, UWA, UQ and Adelaide

TheOnePheeph

HSC
ANU and USyd are both Go8, Group of Eight (Go8) is just a group of the older ("sandstone") research focussed universities in Australia - ANU, USyd, UNSW, Melbourne, Monash, UWA, UQ and Adelaide
Ah ok, thanks for the clarification

bob1213

HSC
N/A
hey there,
im in y10 rn and want to go to some of these prestigious overseas universities (particularly harvard, yale, princeton, and oxbridge) what ec's would you recommend, and what do I do to get involved in these ec's (note: I do not do duke of ed currently, and don't plan to in the future) cheers
thanks,

idkkdi

HSC
hey there,
im in y10 rn and want to go to some of these prestigious overseas universities (particularly harvard, yale, princeton, and oxbridge) what ec's would you recommend, and what do I do to get involved in these ec's (note: I do not do duke of ed currently, and don't plan to in the future) cheers
thanks,
what ec doesn't really matter. just do something to a state level or higher for the us. and also have some stuff to show a bit of breadth.

oxbridge get a high atar, do well on their specific test and interview, do something related to the degree u want to go into; somehow demonstrate interest. ec's aren't as important for the UK.

bob1213

HSC
N/A
what state level ec do u recommend (I wanna go premed) (top 10 NSW selective student btw)

bob1213

HSC
N/A
oh yea yea ik that lol, ty tho. do yall know any ecs/competitions related to med (wanna do premed)

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

God Did
HSC
oh yea yea ik that lol, ty tho. do yall know any ecs/competitions related to med (wanna do premed)
It might also be worth looking into A levels/GSCE and SAT, the country's respective ATAR. That may be beneficial. I know a few people who did SAT for example last year that wanted to study in USA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)