Is Tutoring really necessary (2 Viewers)

YonOra

HSC
" I’ve personally never had a tutor, apart from an English tutor......" mmmm, well that's a great opening sentence. "Never" had a tutor, and then, oh wait......"apart from....."

I think you ought to have stuck with that tutor, maybe they may have taught you about irony or humility. Take your pick.
Why dissect such pointless semantics? It's a simple mistake mate. Not to mention, the sentence flows logically for any competent reader. Let's be honest, the english language is full of broken rules.

Speed’o’sound Sonic

HSC
Not sure who this man fysiqs is but he’s spreading a lot of hate around and I’d recommend ignoring anything he posts. Had a go at me for putting up estimated raws and UCAT scores so I’ve taken them down.

fysiqs

HSC
Not sure who this man fysiqs is but he’s spreading a lot of hate around and I’d recommend ignoring anything he posts. Had a go at me for putting up estimated raws and UCAT scores so I’ve taken them down.
Good for you, the single best thing you have done on this site.

Speed’o’sound Sonic

HSC
notice how noone cared except him don't worry bout it everyone's proud
Leave him alone lads he probably just failed HSC and is jealous someone less toxic then him and more accomplished is feeling good. He has a right to feel proud lol his gonna be top 1% of the state if you don't want to see it then don't lmao
Cheers mate. Happy to be part of a community where (almost) everyone is happy to share their experiences and support each other.
I’ve sent them a pm to make sure they’re okay and not going through anything. Not sure if they’ll respond but it’s up to them.

YonOra

HSC
Cheers mate. Happy to be part of a community where (almost) everyone is happy to share their experiences and support each other.
I’ve sent them a pm to make sure they’re okay and not going through anything. Not sure if they’ll respond but it’s up to them.
The compassion of a doctor ;)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Necessary? No.

Helpful? Potentially - if the student is engaged and looking for help and the tutor has the skills to help that individual.

I have done a lot of tutoring as the tutor and have had some very successful students, but I have also had students with whom I was not a good fit, in which case it is best for both for another tutor to take over... and I have had students with little if any interest in actually learning, in which case the whole thing is a waste of time for both parties.

JeydinNewWon

HSC
Leave him alone lads he probably just failed HSC and is jealous someone less toxic then him and more accomplished is feeling good. He has a right to feel proud lol his gonna be top 1% of the state if you don't want to see it then don't lmao
Honestly, I don’t understand why people get so jealous over others being “smarter” than them. It’s such a petty thing, really. Like just face it, there’s always going to be someone smarter/better than you at something. But there’s equally good chance you’ll be better at them at something too. There is really no point in comparing what mark you got here and there because all you need to know is that you did your personal best. Just because someone was “smarter” than you, doesn’t make you any less “smart”. In fact, I look toward people who are smarter than me as inspiration, and rather than get jealous and bathe in my misery, just look for ways to change things around and work harder next time. Speed of sound sonic is one of the best people I’ve met here on this forum, and considering how he was even kind enough to ask this fellow if he was ok, speaks loads.

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
Honestly, I don’t understand why people get so jealous over others being “smarter” than them. It’s such a petty thing, really. Like just face it, there’s always going to be someone smarter/better than you at something. But there’s equally good chance you’ll be better at them at something too. There is really no point in comparing what mark you got here and there because all you need to know is that you did your personal best. Just because someone was “smarter” than you, doesn’t make you any less “smart”. In fact, I look toward people who are smarter than me as inspiration, and rather than get jealous and bathe in my misery, just look for ways to change things around next time.
spitting facts but the HSC system is very much based on ranking, so it's quite understandable when people are petty.

Technically it's instilled in the education system.

Time&moretime

HSC
What do you think of this? "For the first time in NSW, students will receive free tutoring in 2021 thanks to a landmark $337 million program that is part of the NSW 2020-21 Budget. The program increases the ongoing support for students' education after a disruptive school year." as sourced from a media release from the NSW government.

Speed’o’sound Sonic

HSC
What do you think of this? "For the first time in NSW, students will receive free tutoring in 2021 thanks to a landmark $337 million program that is part of the NSW 2020-21 Budget. The program increases the ongoing support for students' education after a disruptive school year." as sourced from a media release from the NSW government.
I guess we’ll find out sooner or later... maybe they’re giving out $$$ for tutoring like they have been with the sporting program in the past few years.

JeydinNewWon

HSC
spitting facts but the HSC system is very much based on ranking, so it's quite understandable when people are petty.

Technically it's instilled in the education system.
Another reason why I dislike the HSC concept. There’s so much focus on ranking from internals to the final ATAR system. It promotes toxic competition between students and seriously ruins relationships, especially in a teenage setting where students should be making most of their long time friends.

Also while it does rank you I don’t understand why it should be used as such an arbitrary indicator of one’s intelligence. Like, why do your grades at the end of High School, I.e. just the beginning parts of your life, should determine your intellect and ability to succeed? ATAR, in the end is a rank, but it’s just what is necessary to get into the course you want.

idkkdi

HSC
Another reason why I dislike the HSC concept. There’s so much focus on ranking from internals to the final ATAR system. It promotes toxic competition between students and seriously ruins relationships, especially in a teenage setting where students should be making most of their long time friends.

Also while it does rank you I don’t understand why it should be used as such an arbitrary indicator of one’s intelligence. Like, why do your grades at the end of High School, I.e. just the beginning parts of your life, should determine your intellect and ability to succeed? ATAR, in the end is a rank, but it’s just what is necessary to get into the course you want.
To prevent oversaturation, ATAR must be a rank. ATAR being a rank actually makes the system much more transparent than a score and is arguably a good thing since aggregates are disgustingly low, e.g. 300/500 for 80 ATAR.

Internals is a fair concept, and if it ruins relationships, maybe they weren't good friends in the first place lol.
Banking everything on external tests is a very bad idea since various one-off mishaps can make or break someone's future. Rather I would advocate for the HSC to be split into four standardised tests starting from term 1 yr 12, with each successive assessment worth more. However, frankly, NSW is not bothered to spend the money or time to organise that.

Time&moretime

HSC
To prevent oversaturation, ATAR must be a rank. ATAR being a rank actually makes the system much more transparent than a score and is arguably a good thing since aggregates are disgustingly low, e.g. 300/500 for 80 ATAR.

Internals is a fair concept, and if it ruins relationships, maybe they weren't good friends in the first place lol.
Banking everything on external tests is a very bad idea since various one-off mishaps can make or break someone's future. Rather I would advocate for the HSC to be split into four standardised tests starting from term 1 yr 12, with each successive assessment worth more. However, frankly, NSW is not bothered to spend the money or time to organise that.
Yeah, ATAR has to be a rank. The purpose is primarily to help an applicant to make the right degree choice to save the heartache of making a poor one. The HSC concept isn't perfect & that may be the reason why there are further assessments for courses like med where there is the UCAT & the interviews. Not to mention PQAs, personal statements, MMI interviews & etc... I believe that's a LAT for Law? Unsure.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

In my school the HSC generally brought year 12s closer than ever as everyone worked together to succeed, so it probably depends on the school. I can definitely see selective schools being more competitive but in my experience at least, the HSC created a great environment for collaboration and teamwork.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)