Is Tutoring really necessary (1 Viewer)

JeydinNewWon

HSC
spitting facts but the HSC system is very much based on ranking, so it's quite understandable when people are petty.

Technically it's instilled in the education system.
Another reason why I dislike the HSC concept. There’s so much focus on ranking from internals to the final ATAR system. It promotes toxic competition between students and seriously ruins relationships, especially in a teenage setting where students should be making most of their long time friends.

Also while it does rank you I don’t understand why it should be used as such an arbitrary indicator of one’s intelligence. Like, why do your grades at the end of High School, I.e. just the beginning parts of your life, should determine your intellect and ability to succeed? ATAR, in the end is a rank, but it’s just what is necessary to get into the course you want.

idkkdi

HSC
Another reason why I dislike the HSC concept. There’s so much focus on ranking from internals to the final ATAR system. It promotes toxic competition between students and seriously ruins relationships, especially in a teenage setting where students should be making most of their long time friends.

Also while it does rank you I don’t understand why it should be used as such an arbitrary indicator of one’s intelligence. Like, why do your grades at the end of High School, I.e. just the beginning parts of your life, should determine your intellect and ability to succeed? ATAR, in the end is a rank, but it’s just what is necessary to get into the course you want.
To prevent oversaturation, ATAR must be a rank. ATAR being a rank actually makes the system much more transparent than a score and is arguably a good thing since aggregates are disgustingly low, e.g. 300/500 for 80 ATAR.

Internals is a fair concept, and if it ruins relationships, maybe they weren't good friends in the first place lol.
Banking everything on external tests is a very bad idea since various one-off mishaps can make or break someone's future. Rather I would advocate for the HSC to be split into four standardised tests starting from term 1 yr 12, with each successive assessment worth more. However, frankly, NSW is not bothered to spend the money or time to organise that.

Time&moretime

HSC
To prevent oversaturation, ATAR must be a rank. ATAR being a rank actually makes the system much more transparent than a score and is arguably a good thing since aggregates are disgustingly low, e.g. 300/500 for 80 ATAR.

Internals is a fair concept, and if it ruins relationships, maybe they weren't good friends in the first place lol.
Banking everything on external tests is a very bad idea since various one-off mishaps can make or break someone's future. Rather I would advocate for the HSC to be split into four standardised tests starting from term 1 yr 12, with each successive assessment worth more. However, frankly, NSW is not bothered to spend the money or time to organise that.
Yeah, ATAR has to be a rank. The purpose is primarily to help an applicant to make the right degree choice to save the heartache of making a poor one. The HSC concept isn't perfect & that may be the reason why there are further assessments for courses like med where there is the UCAT & the interviews. Not to mention PQAs, personal statements, MMI interviews & etc... I believe that's a LAT for Law? Unsure.

pikachu975

I love trials
HSC

In my school the HSC generally brought year 12s closer than ever as everyone worked together to succeed, so it probably depends on the school. I can definitely see selective schools being more competitive but in my experience at least, the HSC created a great environment for collaboration and teamwork.

dumNerd

HSC
In my school the HSC generally brought year 12s closer than ever as everyone worked together to succeed, so it probably depends on the school. I can definitely see selective schools being more competitive but in my experience at least, the HSC created a great environment for collaboration and teamwork.
People in my grade a literally gonna turn against each other

black.mamba

HSC
While tutoring isn't necessary, I think it almost always helps raise your marks. I do know some people at my school who performed amazingly without tutoring, but they were extremely naturally talented and usually passionate about learning. Again, it depends on the person, but I think that tutoring is especially helpful for the subjects mentioned.

black.mamba

HSC
arent grammar teachers good enuff?
generally grammar teachers are great but tutoring still helps imo
for maths and chemistry, i covered the topics in advance so learning at school consolidated existing knowledge (and i could chill and talk in class)
for physics, i occasionally fell behind and went to a tutor (every now and then) to quickly get me back up to speed
i just kinda suck at english so no need for an explanation there lol

dumNerd

HSC
generally grammar teachers are great but tutoring still helps imo
for maths and chemistry, i covered the topics in advance so learning at school consolidated existing knowledge (and i could chill and talk in class)
for physics, i occasionally fell behind and went to a tutor (every now and then) to quickly get me back up to speed
i just kinda suck at english so no need for an explanation there lol
What even is the point of English tutoring...

idkkdi

HSC
.... ...... ... . . . . .. . . . . .. .. . . . . . How
english is just abstract logic. if u can express complex ideas clearly u get paid the marks.
i wud suppose englih tutoring formalises your essay writing and creative skills.

dumNerd

HSC
english is just abstract logic. if u can express complex ideas clearly u get paid the marks.
i wud suppose englih tutoring formalises your essay writing and creative skills.
one-on-one attention? i don't think i got much feedback from my school teacher
So basically useful for feedback + showing you structure

Edzion education

HSC
The key to succeeding in the HSC is answering as many, high-quality questions as possible - there is a stack of resources on Boredofstudies and our website. A tutor can be extremely useful in motivating you, provide quality lessons, and can help you in developing your exam skills. Regards, edzion education

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)