Sci extension (1 Viewer)

2022hsc

HSC
N/A
Is science extension now offered across all schools or only those with a particular number to take it/private schools? I am interested in lightening up my workload once in year 12 to focus on english + modern essays and it sounds like a relatively easy subject (although I may be wrong). An online hsc exam sounds amazing in comparison to 3 x 1200 handwritten essays in 2 hours.
Also what's the difference between science extension, senior science and investigating science?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I believe Senior Science is now Science Extension. Back when I did my HSC my school only had one student do this subject in the whole cohort.

I believe most schools would offer this subject.

I don't think it's an easy subject though, as suggested by its name.

From NESA:

Science Extension: This course focuses on the authentic application of scientific research skills to produce a Scientific Research Report. Students propose and develop a research question, formulate a hypothesis and develop evidence-based responses to create their Scientific Research Report which is supported by a Scientific Research Portfolio.

Investigating Science: This course provides students with the opportunity to develop an understanding of the ethical, social, economic and political influences on science and scientific research in the modern world.

2022hsc

HSC
N/A
I believe Senior Science is now Science Extension. Back when I did my HSC my school only had one student do this subject in the whole cohort.

I believe most schools would offer this subject.

I don't think it's an easy subject though, as suggested by its name.

From NESA:

Science Extension: This course focuses on the authentic application of scientific research skills to produce a Scientific Research Report. Students propose and develop a research question, formulate a hypothesis and develop evidence-based responses to create their Scientific Research Report which is supported by a Scientific Research Portfolio.

Investigating Science: This course provides students with the opportunity to develop an understanding of the ethical, social, economic and political influences on science and scientific research in the modern world.
One person?! A couple subjects didn't run this year due to lack of students in cohort, but I am assuming extension subjects require less students to run. Thank you for clarifying the difference between the subjects.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
One person?! A couple subjects didn't run this year due to lack of students in cohort, but I am assuming extension subjects require less students to run. Thank you for clarifying the difference between the subjects.
No worries. I'm not sure how many students are needed for Extension courses to run, although what you said makes sense.

The class started with 3 people I believe, with 2 of them eventually dropping.

Funny thing is, that person ended up receving an award for "coming first" in that subject at our school 😅😂

Last edited:

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
I lasted in Extension Science (which is senior science) for about 2 terms, would be mindful of how much time you're willing to put into a subject considering it's only 1 unit. If you are interested in the creation and production of a scientific research paper of a topic in your interests, for sure you can give it a try. Although ngl, wouldn't do it if you have another extension subject (my reason for dropping it - took time away from other important subjects which ACTUALLY are going to count). The workload for Extension Science is massive, its a bit content heavy as well. Also, considering I believe only 6 people E4'd in the online HSC exam last year (or at least what the teacher told me) it's not a very rewarding subject in terms of scaling and ATAR contribution although may serve as a head start when you write papers in uni.

quickoats

HSC
I believe Senior Science is now Science Extension.
Senior science does not exist anymore - it got cut out of the syllabus in 2018-19. It has been “replaced” by investigating science, but the courses are very different.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Senior science does not exist anymore - it got cut out of the syllabus in 2018-19. It has been “replaced” by investigating science, but the courses are very different.
I am aware that the Senior Science course is no longer running. However I didn't think that Investigating Science was the subject that "replaced" it. I thought that would've been Science Extension. Thanks for the clarification.

rbxii3

HSC
Extension science is more like an introduction to university research. It helps to think of it as "extension investigating science", although you don't need to take investigating to take extension.

Course Content

Module 1 looks at the history of the scientific method, including the philosophical origins, what constitutes "science", error, bias, etc. Basically, its module 1 (Thinking Scientifically) of year 7 science, but at a year 12 level.

Module 2 is your research proposal. It's mostly to do with formulating a hypothesis, gaining a better understanding of the field you plan to explore, and so on.

Module 3 is looking at data collection and analysis. The inquiry question explains it best:
How is evidence used to make decisions in the scientific research process?
Module 4 is your actual research report. Usually, you'll spend the second half of term 2, and all of term 3 (until submission) doing module 4, because it's weighted as the most significant portion of your marks.

Assessments and Course Requirements
There are a total of 3 internal assessment tasks for the course (plus the HSC), and it must be taken with at least 1 2-unit science (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Investigating, Earth/Enviro).

Usually, Assessment Task 1 is presenting your research proposal, and includes elements of module 1 and 2 (but mostly mod 2).
Assessment Task 2 is module 1+3 and, depending on your school/teacher, is the only written paper for the whole course.
Assessment Task 3 is your major project. There's no trial paper for this course (unless your teacher doesn't like you), so your major is weighed 40% (may vary depending on your school).

Major Project
The extension science major project is a research report into a scientific field of your choice. You are expected to conduct research, analyse data, and produce a "functional" scientific report (like you would find on JSTOR). The report should be 2500-3000 words, and include diagrams, graphs, and whatever else is necessary to present the findings. Universities such as UNSW and USyd also run programs in the 6-week holidays to give you essentially a crash course in Science Extension. For more information, take a look at the Science Extension Student Guide (I can't post links, but just Google it).

HSC "Paper"
The HSC "Paper" for extension science is (at time of writing) the only digital HSC exam (hence the quotes around "paper"). It takes 1.5 hours, and is usually one of the last "papers" in the HSC block.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)