Just got my first year 12 assignment. What do I do now? (1 Viewer)

Dashdorm24

HSC
Got my first bio assignment for year 12, but I'm too overwhelmed with things that i could possibly do e.g. practice papers, extend notes, get straight into memorising. What should I be doing from now up until the exam and how should I structure my day in terms of fitting in the assignment into my study routine, for example, should I be studying for this assignment every single day for a fixed hour, or space it out a little as it is due in 2 weeks.

Context: Ever since I started year 12 I've been memorising everything learnt within the bio lesson through flashcards, however, theres still a lot more that needs to be memorised.

icycledough

HSC
As it's due in 2 weeks, you still have sufficient time to perform very well on it. I would definitely space it out (it might require half an hour each day, it may require 2 hours each day); only you would be the best judge for that. With your other exams you may have, you can definitely fit those in and create a realistic daily plan on how you are going to approach the next 2 weeks. But you're on the right track for sure by starting it early, as leaving it until the day before could be the worst thing you could potentially do.

iwanttodogoodinschool

HSC
As it's due in 2 weeks, you still have sufficient time to perform very well on it. I would definitely space it out (it might require half an hour each day, it may require 2 hours each day); only you would be the best judge for that. With your other exams you may have, you can definitely fit those in and create a realistic daily plan on how you are going to approach the next 2 weeks. But you're on the right track for sure by starting it early, as leaving it until the day before could be the worst thing you could potentially do.
yess, don't leave it last minute! Make sure you put a lot of effort into this since it's your first assignment and can give u a headstart against your competitors in terms of rank.

Dashdorm24

HSC
yess, don't leave it last minute! Make sure you put a lot of effort into this since it's your first assignment and can give u a headstart against your competitors in terms of rank.
Thank you
Thanks!

Should I be starting with memorising notes then progressing to practice papers closer to the exam date?

icycledough

HSC
Thank you

Thanks!

Should I be starting with memorising notes then progressing to practice papers closer to the exam date?
Exactly ... there's no point in attempting practice papers if you don't know the content (you can use practice questions to even aid you with learning the content, but I would leave past papers till after this). You want to treat past exams just like the actual exam, so I don't really see a point in doing open book practice exams, as they defeat the entire purpose of an exam (unless your school has specified that your exam will be open book)

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Context: Ever since I started year 12 I've been memorising everything learnt within the bio lesson through flashcards, however, theres still a lot more that needs to be memorised.
You’ve still got a year to go before your HSC exams, so I think it’s not inappropriate to offer this general advice: Wherever possible, seek to understand the concepts which underlie the dot points in the curriculum. It is much, much easier to remember information when you understand how it fits into a bigger picture of reality. A lot of questions are designed to test understanding, so rote responses are not likely to score well.

TheVuk

HSC
Got my first bio assignment for year 12, but I'm too overwhelmed with things that i could possibly do e.g. practice papers, extend notes, get straight into memorising. What should I be doing from now up until the exam and how should I structure my day in terms of fitting in the assignment into my study routine, for example, should I be studying for this assignment every single day for a fixed hour, or space it out a little as it is due in 2 weeks.

look to sneak in at least 30 minutes of rocket league practice per hour, and focus on ur 90s in fortnite, try to crank real hard while also leaving room for valorant and you should see results

• Haha
Reactions: 8=D

zizi2003_

HSC
it's really not a good idea to memorise content in bio- instead understand the relevant syllabus dotpoints through watching videos and doing additional research
sure, you need to have solid examples - but bio is all about application and memorisation won't always work in your favour - not for just bio, but any science

Last edited:

chaevely_park

HSC
it's really not a good idea to memorise content in bio- instead understand the relevant syllabus dotpoints through watching videos and doing additional research
sure, you need to have solid examples - but bio is all about application and memorisation won't always work in your favour - not for just bio, but any science
What did you do with the past papers after you used them? revisit them, or just looked over the solutions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)