Math Advanced Prediction/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

CopperPike

HSC
Honest estimation, a 77-81 raw will amount to an 89-92 scaled this year. Last year the examination wasn't too bad, with the exception of the cricket question (which wasn't even bad at all). 2021, comparatively, will have a greater spread of results and a smaller percentage of those in the top 1-0.001%. The raw mean mark will be a lot lower.
Hopefully… we will have to wait and see.Yeah the 2020 was quite a breeze. 2013 wasn’t that bad at all, and 75 was scaled to a band 6. I reckon the cutoff will probs be 73 (maybe) but more close to 74-75 imo

zbolland

HSC
Hopefully… we will have to wait and see.Yeah the 2020 was quite a breeze. 2013 wasn’t that bad at all, and 75 was scaled to a band 6. I reckon the cutoff will probs be 73 (maybe) but more close to 74-75 imo
It should be noted that 2013 was probably the same difficulty as today's exam. From a quick look at the questions with my old-syllabus hat on, it honestly seemed to be a difficult paper, back in 2013. I think we can expect very similar scaling as you said.

But we really shouldn't speculate over this kind of stuff - we represent a very minute portion of the state who completed the exam and do not know how everyone felt (but what from what I gauge, people weren't too happy).

HSC
Honest estimation, a 77-81 raw will amount to an 89-92 scaled this year. Last year the examination wasn't too bad, with the exception of the cricket question (which wasn't even bad at all). 2021, comparatively, will have a greater spread of results and a smaller percentage of those in the top 1-0.001%. The raw mean mark will be a lot lower.
praying u r right

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Q25's solution is very messed up. I mean what were they thinking.
Q25 is the exact sort of mistake that everyone should be checking for after each answer by asking yourself "is my answer reasonable?" As several people have noted, turning $8,000 into over $60,000 in 8 years at less than 1% interest pa = unreasonable. Just like the normal distribution / number of babies question, where the given answer is also obviously unreasonable.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I know some of the solutions are wrong in this pdf I agree with CM_Tutor and Trebla.

I find the second part is extremely questionable. I mean can you remove a factor of 5 from the question?
Is it just mean, or is the arithmetic in 26(b) wrong? isn't it ?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Oops, I'm wrong... I read their working for the time as

but I have misread and it is actually

5uckerberg

HSC
Oops, I'm wrong... I read their working for the time as

but I have misread and it is actually

Then by default, it has to be for the velocity as the particle reaches the ground noting that the negative represents slowing down.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Then by default, it has to be for the velocity as the particle reaches the ground noting that the negative represents slowing down.
Yes and No.

The velocity at impact with the ground is indeed or in a downwards direction. The particle is not slowing down, however, it is speeding up as it is accelerating in the negative direction and moving in the negative direction.

Note, also, that while this is an example of projectile motion, the particle has been projected vertically and so all of the motion is occurring in one dimension, as is typical in Advanced Maths motion questions. What makes it unusual is that motion is all vertical rather than all horizontal along an -axis.

RaymondB

HSC
Guys for the second short answer I used tan instead of cos, what is wrong with me (also how many lost marks is that, will I at least get maybe 2 pity marks pls cause I did the right working out, wrong trig identity)

Porogamiii

HSC
Guys for the second short answer I used tan instead of cos, what is wrong with me (also how many lost marks is that, will I at least get maybe 2 pity marks pls cause I did the right working out, wrong trig identity)
Yeah to add on to this, does anyone know if the HSC marks include error carried forward within questions. Like if we got a wrong value but used it in the right formula would we get 1 mark out of 2?

RaymondB

HSC
Yeah to add on to this, does anyone know if the HSC marks include error carried forward within questions. Like if we got a wrong value but used it in the right formula would we get 1 mark out of 2?
Yeah I think they do carry on if you get the wrong answer but still do correct working out (i.e they give you pity marks)

uniqueusername1

HSC
honestly that wasn't a bad paper

but we all got baited by last years hsc, plus how easy the cssa and other school trial papers were

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)