"I don't read club" (2 Viewers)

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
These are all in my opinion and highly debatable. But I'd thought I'd put this out here to prove that the book is not always better than the movie:

Times the movie has been better than the book (in @HazzRat's opinion):

Hamilton
1697629899524.png

The Shining
1697629928336.png

American psycho
1697629957675.png

These are the only ones in which I've read both the book and movie and found the movie better.

Hamilton is just a boring American history biography. The Independence Hall tour in Philadelphia I went to was better than it. That is not to say it wasn't a bad biography, in fact it was probably the best one I've read. It's just all biographies get really dull by the fith chapter and the author always has to make it a massive thing instead of a short-and-sweet endevour.

The Shining book was good (by Steven King) but the movie is just a classic so it's hard to beat. The book is really completely different. Jack is Irish as opposed to black???

The American Psycho book is just a boring ass 80's white-collar drama. Long dialogue, not much happens. And the film is a classic (don't look at the Rotten Tomatoes reviews, look at the audience scores). One and a half hours is the perfect length to watch a story about a psyhopath, a book just feels too long when you've got no connection to the character. + in my signature I'm future Patrick Bateman so I just had to give it a plug.

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
These are all in my opinion and highly debatable. But I'd thought I'd put this out here to prove that the book is not always better than the movie:

Times the movie has been better than the book (in @HazzRat's opinion):

Hamilton
View attachment 40740

The Shining
View attachment 40741

American psycho
View attachment 40742

These are the only ones in which I've read both the book and movie and found the movie better.

Hamilton is just a boring American history biography. The Independence Hall tour in Philadelphia I went to was better than it. That is not to say it wasn't a bad biography, in fact it was probably the best one I've read. It's just all biographies get really dull by the fith chapter and the author always has to make it a massive thing instead of a short-and-sweet endevour.

The Shining book was good (by Steven King) but the movie is just a classic so it's hard to beat. The book is really completely different. Jack is Irish as opposed to black???

The American Psycho book is just a boring ass 80's white-collar drama. Long dialogue, not much happens. And the film is a classic (don't look at the Rotten Tomatoes reviews, look at the audience scores). One and a half hours is the perfect length to watch a story about a psyhopath, a book just feels too long when you've got no connection to the character. + in my signature I'm future Patrick Bateman so I just had to give it a plug.
I WATCHED AMERICAN PSYCHO THE OTHER WEEK OMG IT WAS SO GOOD AND THE NARRATIVE DISNT ACTUALLY END UP GOING ANYWHERE BUT I LOVED IT BECAUSE IT MADE ME FEEL SO WEIRD AJD IT WAS EERY AND UGH SO GOOD

xoNat

don't worry, be happy
HSC
How is American Psycho that good though?

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
I WATCHED AMERICAN PSYCHO THE OTHER WEEK OMG IT WAS SO GOOD AND THE NARRATIVE DISNT ACTUALLY END UP GOING ANYWHERE BUT I LOVED IT BECAUSE IT MADE ME FEEL SO WEIRD AJD IT WAS EERY AND UGH SO GOOD
It does go somewhere. It's about the soulless/"money-never-sleeps" manifestations of capitalism. Notice how Patrick Bateman is the only character with a real personality and all the other ones are just lifeless white-collar drones. Bateman ends up going on a murderous rampage to prove he can break free from the system. But this goes no where. In the end, no one knows who he is, the house he stored bodies in is cleaned up for commercial sale (wouldn't want potential buyers seeing all this violence in their near-to-be investment), and everything goes back to normal in the pursuit of capital. It's a weird plot and an odd moral but it is there if you look for it.

Last edited:

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Wait I'm pretty sure fight club is a book and even having not read it I can garuantee the movie is better OMG FIGHT CLUB MOVIE IS INSAAAAANE 🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩❤❤❤❤

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
Also, a couple weeks ago I started watching Netflix on the bus and I must say I’m never going back. Instead of coming home all exhausted from a day of school and then having to do your break, you can just get right get into it refreshed.

xoNat

don't worry, be happy
HSC
Also, a couple weeks ago I started watching Netflix on the bus and I must say I’m never going back. Instead of coming home all exhausted from a day of school and then having to do your break, you can just get right get into it refreshed.
I did that in year 7 😍 I do my maths homework on the bus now :(

xoNat

don't worry, be happy
HSC
How and why??? I tried that once but it was too cumbersome to be worthwhile
~40 minute bus ride, it doesn't get too busy so I sit near the back and write the questions down on a loose leaf paper or a question booklet (it's good for questions that take a bit longer) and I rest it on my laptop which I just hold up. Ok it does sound a little cumbersome but it's really not that bad and helps for my motivation to do more work when I get home as I've already started.

Rattlehead15

HSC
Lmao this thread is so relatable. I don't read at all outside of school. From yr7 to yr12 Ive probably read 7 books max, like one per year outside of school and none of which have been in the last two years. Its funny cos I do english extension 2 and everyone talks about their favourite books etc and I read zilch and have no idea what it all means. My english teacher legit thought I hated the subject just because I dont read. I like writing, not reading.
As for non-book recommendations, I suggest you binge Breaking Bad after the hsc.

Rattlehead15

HSC
I just stare outside the bus window like an npc or play clash royale

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
I just finished Beef. (absolute banger - highly recommend)

What show should I start watching next?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
yeah omg during exams on my way to and from school especially i'd watch episodes of a show i downloaded and was really into on the bus (my commute was pretty long so it worked). i would read too. it was amazing, felt like i was losing no time 🔥

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)