• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What do you guys think of the Western Sydney guys supporting the hamas attack on the israelites and rallying over this? (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
I don't think many people support Hamas; nobody really agrees with terrorism - I think the discussion boils down to either being pro-Israel or anti-Israel. Would I be right in suggesting that?

Decapped

HSC
N/A
Insane how you've gone from not believing the media, to believing Instagram reels now to not knowing what to believe because there are discrepancies between what the news and Twitter is saying LOL

Decapped

HSC
N/A
I don't think many people support Hamas; nobody really agrees with terrorism - I think the discussion boils down to either being pro-Israel or anti-Israel. Would I be right in suggesting that?
I don't think you have to really be any tbh, the issue I have is the certainty that people have that either side is wrong. Pro-Israel suggests that you support them. No, I don't support them, I partially support the current measures they are taking to combat terrorism.

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
Insane how you've gone from not believing the media, to believing Instagram reels now to not knowing what to believe because there are discrepancies between what the news and Twitter is saying LOL
ur literally trying to drag it on. yea idk what to believe anymore becuase of the different things ive seen

Decapped

HSC
N/A
ur literally trying to drag it on. yea idk what to believe anymore becuase of the different things ive seen
Uh hello? That's exactly the problem, can you not critically analyse why there might be something wrong with a Twitter account with an inherent bias posting on only one side of the war? Would you not think to appeal to the many thousands of different reliable news sources who cover both sides?

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
Uh hello? That's exactly the problem, can you not critically analyse why there might be something wrong with a Twitter account with an inherent bias posting on only one side of the war? Would you not think to appeal to the many thousands of different reliable news sources who cover both sides?
yes but when im reading news articles saying different things i dont know what to believe, is what im saying

year10studentpreparin

HSC
😂 😂
Thank you man I couldnt have done it without ya

souli

HSC
I really wasn't going to comment on the thread because I feel like the title alone is enough to try and provoke certain groups; it's definitely racially charged lol. Generally speaking, also due to the fact that I don't like to involve myself in politics anymore; because no matter what side you pick there are always facts from one (or even both sides!) you won't hear; or certain voices that might be amplified by the media when they shouldn't be. Thus, I don't know a lot about this Israel/Palestine issue.

I have however been kept in the loop with some details, like the shutdown of electricity and water (I can understand WHY Israel has done this; to try and curb any resistance by the Palestinians) but it's definitely wrong on an ethical level and shouldn't have been done. Why would you harm and hurt a majority when you are targeting a certain sect of society, the source of resistance? Why isn't the collateral damage by the IDF being considered? I understand that there are always casualties in war that shouldn't be happening but to such a large extent to deprive an entire population of essential human basics; water and electricity is extreme; essentially setting hundreds of thousands up for death. We are talking about human lives here. Innocent civilians, children, and people in hospitals; the most vulnerable parts of the population. I can sympathise with the Palestinians and why they want independence if this is a frequent occurrence within their nation.

Furthermore, today I discovered that Israel has recently bombed a hospital with 600 vulnerable people; tweeting about it online declaring their supposed victory in destroying a Hamas base, and later deleting the tweet and denying their actions and blaming it on a radical group (the Palestinians themselves). This is despicable; again preying on the most vulnerable members of society and I wholeheartedly believe responsibility should be taken by Israel for their actions. If they cannot apologise, they should at least accept that it was an error on their half. Additionally, how on Earth is Israel getting away with using White Phosphorus gas? This is a war crime in itself!

What led me to post this today was the bombing of the 3rd oldest Church (St. Porphyrius Greek Orthodox Church. Note: second time they've bombed an Orthodox church for no reason) in the world. Not only because I myself am Christian (even if I wasn't I'd still react the same), but I find it incredibly horrific that religious intolerance (second time this has happened) can reach these levels (I've previously seen many videos of people in Israel spitting on Christians for performing religious acts) and that respect is not given for religion; or even for the fact a building has historical origins so old they can be traced back to 435AD. Where is the respect for remnants of the ancient world? And more importantly, that building was being used for citizens to seek refuge; approximately 400 innocent civilians (FAMILIES AND CHILDREN) have been killed. The fact that this was unprovoked, and one of the IDF leaders later went on a tirade at Russia (which is an Orthodox nation) stating that they would get revenge on Russia for supporting their enemies (??) only beckons questions that there may have been ulterior motives in this bombing. They knew there were innocents there and continued the plan to bomb it irrespective of whoever was there.

In my opinion, there are certain lines in war that cannot be crossed. You cannot throw ethics out the window, or else the horrors of history may just repeat themselves. In my eyes, Israel has crossed this line with all their attacks on civilians. It's extremely confronting and I do bear in mind while it's a complex and multifaceted issue; it's unethical and morally wrong to cross the lines that have been crossed. Again, I do not support Israel, nor Hamas as I don't have the full picture (kudos to the media) but I cannot just sit in silence while all these horrible crimes go on. I do think Israel should be held responsible for these war crimes, and it's very frustrating as a member of Western society not to see our media or our leaders condemn these actions.

Also, just to answer the question in the title; we live in a free country. Anyone should be able to protest for or against (express their opinions) about whatever they wish. When there is a problem in protesting for or against one side, that's the death of democracy and there is no freedom of speech. Some people have left quite disparaging comments about Arab people not assimilating into the nation... this being problematic... they should be going home to the front lines of their country to fight... etc. I strongly disagree and think these comments are quite disgusting. Anyone should be able to protest wherever they want about whatever issue they want. Perhaps, in their mind, these people are doing the most they can to stand up for whatever issue they're protesting about. Maybe to you, it means nothing because it's not directly impacting the events occurring in Palestine/Israel. But to them, they feel they're doing their bit. They're spreading awareness, showing solidarity about an issue important to them. They're spreading their views. They're sending a message to our government and expressing how they feel. An essential part of being human. And I believe credit is due to them for standing up for their beliefs. Not many people do that anymore; a lot of society has adopted an 'idc' attitude unless an issue directly affects them directly (arguably selfish, but that's a conversation for another time) and that's even led to the government believing they have the right to take away certain rights to protest, while we sit back and say nothing.

Again, I'd just like to reiterate that I'm not taking any sides in this issue, this is just my opinion. All I seek is to point out that it's wrong to ignore certain actions that have been performed; ignored by the media and that we cannot just sit back with our arms crossed forever (as individuals, and also the leaders of our country who refuse to condemn these actions). And to emphasize more significantly while I don't support a side, we cannot just throw morals and ethics out the window, especially during war. If people within our nation, whether they are 'Wester Sydney guys' or not, want to hold protests to spread awareness about certain issues within our society, they should. Especially taking into consideration these significant inhumane acts performed by Israel. That's what democracy is about. Being able to express your opinion, without fear of persecution, just like I have:)

Rattlehead15

HSC
When there is a problem in protesting for or against one side, that's the death of democracy
I believe you might be referring to one of my past comments. I'd just like to reiterate that I was not frowning upon every Palestinian/Israeli protest. I was criticising in particular the protest that occurred by Palestinian supporters outside the opera house. Yes, they have a right to protest. But I do believe that after burning Israeli flags and chanting 'Gas the Jews' there should have been state involvement. I agree with freedom of speech and all of that, but is it really the death of democracy if you're simply not allowed to chant for the death of other people and make distasteful remarks about the Holocaust? I would say the same if there were Israeli protests where they chanted for the death of Muslims. Apart from this opinion, I am largely uninvolved in this whole situation and I don't have a 'side' if you will. Thanks by the way for keeping it civil and discusional, unlike lots of this thread and the wider media I suppose.

Decapped

HSC
N/A
yes but when im reading news articles saying different things i dont know what to believe, is what im saying
Can you maybe provide some evidence?
I really wasn't going to comment on the thread because I feel like the title alone is enough to try and provoke certain groups; it's definitely racially charged lol. Generally speaking, also due to the fact that I don't like to involve myself in politics anymore; because no matter what side you pick there are always facts from one (or even both sides!) you won't hear; or certain voices that might be amplified by the media when they shouldn't be. Thus, I don't know a lot about this Israel/Palestine issue.

I have however been kept in the loop with some details, like the shutdown of electricity and water (I can understand WHY Israel has done this; to try and curb any resistance by the Palestinians) but it's definitely wrong on an ethical level and shouldn't have been done. Why would you harm and hurt a majority when you are targeting a certain sect of society, the source of resistance? Why isn't the collateral damage by the IDF being considered? I understand that there are always casualties in war that shouldn't be happening but to such a large extent to deprive an entire population of essential human basics; water and electricity is extreme; essentially setting hundreds of thousands up for death. We are talking about human lives here. Innocent civilians, children, and people in hospitals; the most vulnerable parts of the population. I can sympathise with the Palestinians and why they want independence if this is a frequent occurrence within their nation.

Furthermore, today I discovered that Israel has recently bombed a hospital with 600 vulnerable people; tweeting about it online declaring their supposed victory in destroying a Hamas base, and later deleting the tweet and denying their actions and blaming it on a radical group (the Palestinians themselves). This is despicable; again preying on the most vulnerable members of society and I wholeheartedly believe responsibility should be taken by Israel for their actions. If they cannot apologise, they should at least accept that it was an error on their half. Additionally, how on Earth is Israel getting away with using White Phosphorus gas? This is a war crime in itself!

What led me to post this today was the bombing of the 3rd oldest Church (St. Porphyrius Greek Orthodox Church. Note: second time they've bombed an Orthodox church for no reason) in the world. Not only because I myself am Christian (even if I wasn't I'd still react the same), but I find it incredibly horrific that religious intolerance (second time this has happened) can reach these levels (I've previously seen many videos of people in Israel spitting on Christians for performing religious acts) and that respect is not given for religion; or even for the fact a building has historical origins so old they can be traced back to 435AD. Where is the respect for remnants of the ancient world? And more importantly, that building was being used for citizens to seek refuge; approximately 400 innocent civilians (FAMILIES AND CHILDREN) have been killed. The fact that this was unprovoked, and one of the IDF leaders later went on a tirade at Russia (which is an Orthodox nation) stating that they would get revenge on Russia for supporting their enemies (??) only beckons questions that there may have been ulterior motives in this bombing. They knew there were innocents there and continued the plan to bomb it irrespective of whoever was there.

In my opinion, there are certain lines in war that cannot be crossed. You cannot throw ethics out the window, or else the horrors of history may just repeat themselves. In my eyes, Israel has crossed this line with all their attacks on civilians. It's extremely confronting and I do bear in mind while it's a complex and multifaceted issue; it's unethical and morally wrong to cross the lines that have been crossed. Again, I do not support Israel, nor Hamas as I don't have the full picture (kudos to the media) but I cannot just sit in silence while all these horrible crimes go on. I do think Israel should be held responsible for these war crimes, and it's very frustrating as a member of Western society not to see our media or our leaders condemn these actions.

Also, just to answer the question in the title; we live in a free country. Anyone should be able to protest for or against (express their opinions) about whatever they wish. When there is a problem in protesting for or against one side, that's the death of democracy and there is no freedom of speech. Some people have left quite disparaging comments about Arab people not assimilating into the nation... this being problematic... they should be going home to the front lines of their country to fight... etc. I strongly disagree and think these comments are quite disgusting. Anyone should be able to protest wherever they want about whatever issue they want. Perhaps, in their mind, these people are doing the most they can to stand up for whatever issue they're protesting about. Maybe to you, it means nothing because it's not directly impacting the events occurring in Palestine/Israel. But to them, they feel they're doing their bit. They're spreading awareness, showing solidarity about an issue important to them. They're spreading their views. They're sending a message to our government and expressing how they feel. An essential part of being human. And I believe credit is due to them for standing up for their beliefs. Not many people do that anymore; a lot of society has adopted an 'idc' attitude unless an issue directly affects them directly (arguably selfish, but that's a conversation for another time) and that's even led to the government believing they have the right to take away certain rights to protest, while we sit back and say nothing.

Again, I'd just like to reiterate that I'm not taking any sides in this issue, this is just my opinion. All I seek is to point out that it's wrong to ignore certain actions that have been performed; ignored by the media and that we cannot just sit back with our arms crossed forever (as individuals, and also the leaders of our country who refuse to condemn these actions). And to emphasize more significantly while I don't support a side, we cannot just throw morals and ethics out the window, especially during war. If people within our nation, whether they are 'Wester Sydney guys' or not, want to hold protests to spread awareness about certain issues within our society, they should. Especially taking into consideration these significant inhumane acts performed by Israel. That's what democracy is about. Being able to express your opinion, without fear of persecution, just like I have:)
I ain't reading allat

year10studentpreparin

HSC
I don't think you have to really be any tbh, the issue I have is the certainty that people have that either side is wrong. Pro-Israel suggests that you support them. No, I don't support them, I partially support the current measures they are taking to combat terrorism.
agreed

Nah sorry
but just like a lot of ethnics/other people have said here (said about their people) if you keep complaining about australia or the western world of how its worse and how ur old country is better then get your ass back there lmao
I am an ethnic Christian 3rd generation whos been to where his parents resided multiple times etc (third world country corrupt etc) and whenever a fellow ethnic keeps on complaining about the west or says that Australia or the west is doomed I make sure to remind them about the shthole they come from lmao
You do know a lot of us in western sydney legit fled from war in a place where there was no democracy, nobody is saying we should persecute people for their opinion or if they keep whining about the west or australia its more like its really bad taste to keep talking sht about the country that gave you freedom and rights LMAO

Last edited:

year10studentpreparin

HSC

they clearly crossed the line tho,
innocents were literally taken and held hostage and killed and your first act is to start a rally to support the actions of hamas and chant 'gas the jews' or some crap like that?
Thats disgusting and no one should have to be unsafe of the city they live in.
Also did you see that Arab guy assault those teenagers with jewish flags lmao

year10studentpreparin

HSC
I believe you might be referring to one of my past comments. I'd just like to reiterate that I was not frowning upon every Palestinian/Israeli protest. I was criticising in particular the protest that occurred by Palestinian supporters outside the opera house. Yes, they have a right to protest. But I do believe that after burning Israeli flags and chanting 'Gas the Jews' there should have been state involvement. I agree with freedom of speech and all of that, but is it really the death of democracy if you're simply not allowed to chant for the death of other people and make distasteful remarks about the Holocaust? I would say the same if there were Israeli protests where they chanted for the death of Muslims. Apart from this opinion, I am largely uninvolved in this whole situation and I don't have a 'side' if you will. Thanks by the way for keeping it civil and discusional, unlike lots of this thread and the wider media I suppose.
Yeah this is exactly how I feel about it as well, Rattlehead just put it in a more succinct and civil way lol thanks bro

TankKuno

HSC
because no matter what side you pick there are always facts from one (or even both sides!) you won't hear; or certain voices that might be amplified by the media when they shouldn't be. Thus, I don't know a lot about this Israel/Palestine issue.
EXACTLY!!!

TankKuno

HSC
imo even if i am a bit delusional and what i want is impossible to happen, we should all just focus on humanitarian efforts, supporting the innocent civilians, the injured, the sick, children, refugees etc, instead of saying the isralies are evil or the hamas is evil. It doesn't help any situaiton, demonising the side u dont support, neither does supporting extremist and terrorist actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)