2023 HSC chat (7 Viewers)

Cathode_RT

HSC
notes are dumb anyway unless ur doing humanities, I didn’t make any general notes in y11/y12 other than in class while the teachers talking and I rlly don’t think it impacted me
imo the process of making notes itself is the revision process, so (at least for me) I dont make them particularly neat, mostly scribbling down textbook points I want to remember. I found that the more detailed or organised I made them in order to "read over them later", the less I was able to remember the actual content because the goal was to make "a good set of notes" instead of learning the content.

Of course, there's a fine line between both approaches, and its always good to create detailed notes throughout the year for quick reference, but far too many times ive seen peers writing up notes a week or so before the exam, often really detailed and intricate, which objectively is a waste of time

carrotsss

HSC
imo the process of making notes itself is the revision process, so (at least for me) I dont make them particularly neat, mostly scribbling down textbook points I want to remember. I found that the more detailed or organised I made them in order to "read over them later", the less I was able to remember the actual content because the goal was to make "a good set of notes" instead of learning the content.

Of course, there's a fine line between both approaches, and its always good to create detailed notes throughout the year for quick reference, but far too many times ive seen peers writing up notes a week or so before the exam, often really detailed and intricate, which objectively is a waste of time
yeah I just do random dot points to gather my thoughts when I’m covering/relearning something but I think the way most people use notes is unhelpful

oml

HSC
??? there are soooooo many out there for free (also, send them to me if they'te about Slessor, Metamorphisis, the Artist in the Floating World, or Richard III)
I know, but I kind of just wanted to buy from students who get 90+ and state ranks bc I'm not settling for any lower. My school doesn't have any of those prescribed texts so I didn't get any of them but if I do ill send them to you lol - also if anyone has English ext 1 notes pls contact me

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC

I think it also depends on the module. Like for modules where you're tested on short answers, you kind of need notes for a wide enough net for any question. But for essay modules, all you really need is specific, highly detailed notes on random things to trick the marker into thinking you know more.

Cathode_RT

HSC
I think it also depends on the module. Like for modules where you're tested on short answers, you kind of need notes for a wide enough net for any question. But for essay modules, all you really need is specific, highly detailed notes on random things to trick the marker into thinking you know more.
Ok yeah defo, for English, my biggest saviour was a TEE table containing all the quotes I wanted to use for my essays. I made them during the T2 - T3 holidays prior to trials, and just kept using the same quotes in every essay until the HSC. That way, I didn't forget quotes and I was less likely to mess up the exact wording or technique associated with a specific quote.
Attached for reference :)

Attachments

Rattlehead15

HSC
It's crazy because ive spent $100 buying notes from other people (which im probably never going to use) mainly for English though, I am going to kms if I don't get a band 6
O
??? there are soooooo many out there for free (also, send them to me if they'te about Slessor, Metamorphisis, the Artist in the Floating World, or Richard III)
I may have some Artist and Richard III stuff Ill shoot it over

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
Ok yeah defo, for English, my biggest saviour was a TEE table containing all the quotes I wanted to use for my essays. I made them during the T2 - T3 holidays prior to trials, and just kept using the same quotes in every essay until the HSC. That way, I didn't forget quotes and I was less likely to mess up the exact wording or technique associated with a specific quote.
Attached for reference :)
For English, I like to start the essay writing process by making the most random connections possible. The weird part is they can't really deny you cause it could just be your artistic interpretation.

For e.g., for my Othello one I said the quote 'whip ye me devils' is a subconscious throwback to his time in slavery in which he still suffers from the internalised racism of that experience. I wrote that in my essay and they actually liked it, so imo just write bullshit and get marks

C_master

HSC
Also congrats all the 2023ers, all of you should go enjoy this break now because it might be one of the few breaks you can truly doze off. Many of you were very active and persisted in your studies from what I see which is really good. Wherever you go, I wish you all the best for your future goals 👍 .
Thx I just started first term of Yr 11 I truly needed this 😕

C_master

HSC
notes are dumb anyway unless ur doing humanities, I didn’t make any general notes in y11/y12 other than in class while the teachers talking and I rlly don’t think it impacted me
As a visual learner I agree

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)