I need urgent advice. (1 Viewer)

spiderfan44

HSC
my earth test is on monday btw
ok a test isnt that bad i guess. im assuming you are just covering earth resources and plate tectonics

i actually toke yr 11 earth and enviro science and if you want i can send you my past notes. theyre scanned from a physical notebook and there are some issues with some pages being rotated that you can fix manually.

spiderfan44

HSC
Well I was studying using the pearson chem textbook with a mix of atomi from my friend. I went pretty slowly through the content because i wanted to properly understand it rather than speed run it and have no clue what it meant.

I know this is highly unlikely, but do u reckon they would let me drop my modern history class for a period where i self study chemistry and try to catch up for the prelims? Probably not even allowed but it’s worth a try asking i guess.
honestly just take a sick day. also in the past ive being allowed to leave class to catch up on assessments, but that was organized by the school learning hub and was related to me having a disability

iloveeggs

HSC
ditch the textbook and use atomi instead. you dont have time to be using a textbook rn. atomi also helps loads trust me
try this website instead of the textbook tho https://scienceready.com.au/pages/module-3-reactive-chemistry for an overview on the main concepts you need
you need to be studying more of the big picture stuff - dont freak out if there are a few concept you dont get, aim to cover the main content. i think that webiste does a good job of outlining the main content

ok also about the modern history stuff yeah its worth asking even if it might not work but also are you allowed to take a day off to study?

spiderfan44

HSC
i do think you will be able to get through the earth content if you put in hours. i was able to get through the first 2 earth modules in a week before my prelims, at the time i was studying from 5 and finished at 8 or 9 i believe? its do able, but also if i was you id honestly just look over someone elses notes and just focus on chemistry. year 11 marks do not matter unless ur doing early entry. ill be real i did not start studying for exams until prelims during yr 11. just study for module 3 of chem

iloveeggs

HSC
honestly just take a sick day. also in the past ive being allowed to leave class to catch up on assessments, but that was organized by the school learning hub and was related to me having a disability
not sure about the leaving class stuff but yes def take a sick day if you don't have a buffer period where you will lose exam marks for taking a day off before your exam

spiderfan44

HSC
also most of my classmates didnt study during yr11 either until prelims so i would always rank well, but keep in mind i took subjects that people who arent smart take, and i go to a public school

iloveeggs

HSC
i do think you will be able to get through the earth content if you put in hours. i was able to get through the first 2 earth modules in a week before my prelims, at the time i was studying from 5 and finished at 8 or 9 i believe? its do able, but also if i was you id honestly just look over someone elses notes and just focus on chemistry. year 11 marks do not matter unless ur doing early entry. ill be real i did not start studying for exams until prelims during yr 11. just study for module 3 of chem
agreed, i personally also think earth concepts are kind of easier to revise for than mod 3 chem (this is just subjective tho and i obv dont do earth)

iloveeggs

HSC
I should of switched earlier, i’m such an idiot
hey no point beating yourself up over it rn. i wouldn't normally support anyone doign what you're doign but you seem to really love chem and i feel like that will get you far in hsc chem. im rooting for you!

spiderfan44

HSC
agreed, i personally also think earth concepts are kind of easier to revise for than mod 3 chem (this is just subjective tho and i obv dont do earth)
havent done chem. but earth module 2 mostly just covers plate boundaries, evidence for it etc, so its quite a chill and easy module. module 1 was a bit more content heavy and didnt connect well, but it something u can cover. def would prob be easier than chem

v.tex

HSC
I have emailed whether I’m able to do self study in my modern history class instead to try and catch up on prelim chem.

Thanks for the support guys, but at the moment I have stopped studying for chemistry.

The asessment is on friday and tbh i’m putting a lot of pressure and stress on myself to try and catch up at the moment. Speaking to my teacher it seemed if i don’t perform really well in this test I can’t join so I think i’m giving it a miss :(.
My only hope really is if they will let me do the self study or maybe be kind and give me an extension (which will not likely happen)

In regards to a sick day and the day before, i believe we do have a buffer period so don’t think this would be viable, but thankyou for the support.

iloveeggs

HSC
thats okay, i wish you all the best though. if anything i would seriously try for the extension on chem, do what you need to do and if your parents/carers are supportive potentially get them to ring the school and ask if you're willing. you can dm me on this forum if you need any other advice/help. good luck!

v.tex

HSC
I would definitely take the test if it would guarantee me switching even if i fail. But in the email my teacher stated this:
“Please note that sitting the exam does not guarantee a change of subjects will be facilitated. “

This is the main reason why I have changed my mind.
- Don’t think it’s possible for me to perform very well in the test while catching up on mod 3 and getting questions down sadly :(

I put my blood sweat and tears into this but i think it’s finally time to lay it down, i could continue but i would likley get an average mark and knowing my teacher they wouldn’t let me switch

v.tex

HSC
thats okay, i wish you all the best though. if anything i would seriously try for the extension on chem, do what you need to do and if your parents/carers are supportive potentially get them to ring the school and ask if you're willing. you can dm me on this forum if you need any other advice/help. good luck!
Yeah i’m definitely gonna follow up on it. I sent the email whether i could do the self study instead of my modern class (probably be unlikely) but it was worth a try.
I will ask if i can get an extension but tbh dont think they would give me one- they are kinda rooting on my downfall I swear

iloveeggs

HSC
I would definitely take the test if it would guarantee me switching even if i fail. But in the email my teacher stated this:
“Please note that sitting the exam does not guarantee a change of subjects will be facilitated. “

This is the main reason why I have changed my mind.
- Don’t think it’s possible for me to perform very well in the test while catching up on mod 3 and getting questions down sadly :(

I put my blood sweat and tears into this but i think it’s finally time to lay it down, i could continue but i would likley get an average mark and knowing my teacher they wouldn’t let me switch
oh alright. gosh this is such an unfortunate situation. not sure how much prelim chem even applies to hsc but i think its super annoying teachers wont give you a genuine shot even if you were willing to literally go over 6 months of prelim content in a fraction of that time.

v.tex

HSC
oh alright. gosh this is such an unfortunate situation. not sure how much prelim chem even applies to hsc but i think its super annoying teachers wont give you a genuine shot even if you were willing to literally go over 6 months of prelim content in a fraction of that time.
Yeah I know right.
Even if i don’t perform well, how does it affect them?
Look i know they have years of experience in this but I seriously know what’s best for me and switching to chem is it.
But oh well i guess, If I can’t figure out a way to get in the class then I will just stick with earth. While i may have it in my mind for a while I guess I can’t really do much about it- there’s no point me really sitting the test if they are gonna be like this.

The funny thing is I signed up for chem in the first place, and this very teacher advised me
not to do it because the “workload would be to hard” for me even though I was in top science and always performed well. She advised me but not half the people who failed in yr 10 science!

v.tex

HSC
I’m really praying they let me drop modern for self study on chemistry, but it’s highly unlikely :(

iloveeggs

HSC
Yeah I know right.
Even if i don’t perform well, how does it affect them?
Look i know they have years of experience in this but I seriously know what’s best for me and switching to chem is it.
But oh well i guess, If I can’t figure out a way to get in the class then I will just stick with earth. While i may have it in my mind for a while I guess I can’t really do much about it- there’s no point me really sitting the test if they are gonna be like this.

The funny thing is I signed up for chem in the first place, and this very teacher advised me
not to do it because the “workload would be to hard” for me even though I was in top science and always performed well. She advised me but not half the people who failed in yr 10 science!
this is the whole reason why ive never listened to teachers omg. there have been so many times when teachers have understimated/undermined me. its so incredibly stupid and i feel like the fact that they have experience means nothign bc every student they meet and their journey would be different

iloveeggs

HSC
I’m really praying they let me drop modern for self study on chemistry, but it’s highly unlikely :(
send the email and then focus on earth or take a break and relax. stressing out rn will be extra bad for you

v.tex

HSC
this is the whole reason why ive never listened to teachers omg. there have been so many times when teachers have understimated/undermined me. its so incredibly stupid and i feel like the fact that they have experience means nothign bc every student they meet and their journey would be different
^^^^^^^^
Lesson learnt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)