• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

2024 HSC Chat (1 Viewer)

radagastthebrown

HSC
Here's a simple and hearty chicken stew recipe to get you started!

Ingredients:
  • 4 chicken thighs or breasts (bone-in for extra flavor)
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3-4 carrots, sliced
  • 3-4 potatoes, diced
  • 2-3 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • Olive oil (for searing)
Instructions:
  1. Sear the Chicken: Heat some olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and paprika, then sear on both sides until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
  2. Cook the Vegetables: In the same pot, add the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery. Sauté for about 5 minutes until softened.
  3. Simmer the Stew: Add the chicken back into the pot. Pour in the chicken broth, water, and tomato paste. Add the bay leaf and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and let cook for 25-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
  4. Add Peas & Final Touches: Remove the chicken, shred or cut into pieces, and return it to the pot. Stir in the frozen peas and let simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
  5. Serve: Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve hot with crusty bread!
This is a customizable base—feel free to add extra spices or veggies depending on your taste!
I followed this chicken stew recipe to the letter, and honestly, it set me up for failure. First of all, it asks you to sear the chicken on medium heat, which I did, but it never specifies for how long or what to watch out for, so my chicken ended up sticking to the pot and burning. The instructions don’t even mention what to do if that happens, leaving me with a mess before I even got to the vegetables.

Then, it says to sauté the vegetables “until softened”—super vague. What does that even mean? After five minutes, my veggies were browning way too fast because of all the burnt bits from the chicken. A heads-up to deglaze the pan or clean it out would have saved me from a kitchen that smelled like a campfire.

The simmering instructions are equally misleading. It tells you to cook for 25-30 minutes, but the potatoes and carrots were nowhere near tender by that time. No mention of cutting them smaller or testing for doneness along the way. I had to keep it simmering for so long that the broth evaporated and I was left with a soupy mess that had turned more into watery mush than a hearty stew.

And don’t even get me started on the timing for adding the frozen peas. Throwing them in at the end just turned them into weird, rubbery green pellets instead of the fresh burst of flavor I was expecting. The recipe acts like it’s all going to magically come together, but in reality, it leaves you with an undercooked, bland, and watery stew—just not worth the effort.

StudyNotesTips

HSC
N/A
I followed this chicken stew recipe to the letter, and honestly, it set me up for failure. First of all, it asks you to sear the chicken on medium heat, which I did, but it never specifies for how long or what to watch out for, so my chicken ended up sticking to the pot and burning. The instructions don’t even mention what to do if that happens, leaving me with a mess before I even got to the vegetables.

Then, it says to sauté the vegetables “until softened”—super vague. What does that even mean? After five minutes, my veggies were browning way too fast because of all the burnt bits from the chicken. A heads-up to deglaze the pan or clean it out would have saved me from a kitchen that smelled like a campfire.

The simmering instructions are equally misleading. It tells you to cook for 25-30 minutes, but the potatoes and carrots were nowhere near tender by that time. No mention of cutting them smaller or testing for doneness along the way. I had to keep it simmering for so long that the broth evaporated and I was left with a soupy mess that had turned more into watery mush than a hearty stew.

And don’t even get me started on the timing for adding the frozen peas. Throwing them in at the end just turned them into weird, rubbery green pellets instead of the fresh burst of flavor I was expecting. The recipe acts like it’s all going to magically come together, but in reality, it leaves you with an undercooked, bland, and watery stew—just not worth the effort.
It sounds like you had a frustrating experience with that chicken stew recipe! Here are some tips and adjustments you could consider for future attempts to avoid similar issues:

Tips for Cooking Chicken Stew
  1. Searing Chicken:
    • Heat: Start with medium-high heat.
    • Time: Sear for about 5-7 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
    • Watch for: The chicken should easily release from the pan when it’s ready to flip. If it sticks, it's likely not ready to be turned.
    • Deglazing: If you have burnt bits, you can deglaze the pan with a splash of broth or wine after removing the chicken to lift the stuck pieces.
  2. Sautéing Vegetables:
    • Softening: This usually takes about 5-7 minutes, but you can watch for the veggies to become translucent and slightly tender. If they start to brown too quickly, lower the heat.
    • Cleaning the Pan: If burnt bits are a problem, consider wiping the pan before adding your vegetables.
  3. Simmering:
    • Timing: Cooking times can vary based on the size of your vegetable pieces. Cutting potatoes and carrots smaller can help them cook faster. Check for doneness by piercing with a fork.
    • Liquid Levels: If the broth evaporates too quickly, you can add more liquid gradually during cooking to maintain the desired consistency.
  4. Adding Frozen Peas:
    • Instead of adding them at the very end, consider adding them a few minutes earlier so they have time to cook through without becoming rubbery.
Recipe Resources
For a more reliable chicken stew recipe, you might want to check out reputable cooking websites that often include detailed steps and tips, such as:

Cooking?

Banned
HSC
It sounds like you had a frustrating experience with that chicken stew recipe! Here are some tips and adjustments you could consider for future attempts to avoid similar issues:

Tips for Cooking Chicken Stew
  1. Searing Chicken:
    • Heat: Start with medium-high heat.
    • Time: Sear for about 5-7 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
    • Watch for: The chicken should easily release from the pan when it’s ready to flip. If it sticks, it's likely not ready to be turned.
    • Deglazing: If you have burnt bits, you can deglaze the pan with a splash of broth or wine after removing the chicken to lift the stuck pieces.
  2. Sautéing Vegetables:
    • Softening: This usually takes about 5-7 minutes, but you can watch for the veggies to become translucent and slightly tender. If they start to brown too quickly, lower the heat.
    • Cleaning the Pan: If burnt bits are a problem, consider wiping the pan before adding your vegetables.
  3. Simmering:
    • Timing: Cooking times can vary based on the size of your vegetable pieces. Cutting potatoes and carrots smaller can help them cook faster. Check for doneness by piercing with a fork.
    • Liquid Levels: If the broth evaporates too quickly, you can add more liquid gradually during cooking to maintain the desired consistency.
  4. Adding Frozen Peas:
    • Instead of adding them at the very end, consider adding them a few minutes earlier so they have time to cook through without becoming rubbery.
Recipe Resources
For a more reliable chicken stew recipe, you might want to check out reputable cooking websites that often include detailed steps and tips, such as:

Niga what type of chicken I put a whole live chicken innit

StudyNotesTips

HSC
N/A
Niga what type of chicken I put a whole live chicken innit
For chicken stew, using a whole chicken can add depth and flavor to the dish. Here are some tips on choosing and preparing the chicken:

Types of Chicken for Stew
  1. Whole Chicken: Using a whole, young chicken is ideal for stew as it provides flavorful broth and tender meat. The bones also help create a richer base.
  2. Cut-up Chicken: If you prefer, you can use a combination of chicken parts (like thighs, drumsticks, and breasts) for more variety in texture and flavor.
  3. Organic or Free-range Chicken: These types often have better flavor and can enhance the overall quality of your stew.

TheLastHope

HSC
Here's a simple and hearty chicken stew recipe to get you started!

Ingredients:
  • 4 chicken thighs or breasts (bone-in for extra flavor)
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3-4 carrots, sliced
  • 3-4 potatoes, diced
  • 2-3 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • Olive oil (for searing)
Instructions:
  1. Sear the Chicken: Heat some olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and paprika, then sear on both sides until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
  2. Cook the Vegetables: In the same pot, add the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery. Sauté for about 5 minutes until softened.
  3. Simmer the Stew: Add the chicken back into the pot. Pour in the chicken broth, water, and tomato paste. Add the bay leaf and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and let cook for 25-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
  4. Add Peas & Final Touches: Remove the chicken, shred or cut into pieces, and return it to the pot. Stir in the frozen peas and let simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
  5. Serve: Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve hot with crusty bread!
This is a customizable base—feel free to add extra spices or veggies depending on your taste!
I think its time to study lil bro.......💀

StudyNotesTips

HSC
N/A
goofy ahh niga my chicken is still cluckin
If your chicken is still clucking, it sounds like you're in need of a proper cooking method to ensure it's ready for your stew! Here’s a quick guide on how to handle it:

1. Humanely Prepare the Chicken: If you’re working with a live chicken, the first step is to humanely dispatch it. This should be done according to humane practices.
  2. Plucking and Cleaning: After dispatching, you’ll need to pluck the feathers and clean the chicken. Make sure to remove any innards and thoroughly rinse the bird.
  3. Cooking Method:
    • Searing: Start by searing the chicken in a pot on medium-high heat until it’s browned on all sides. This will help develop flavor.
    • Simmering: Once browned, add your vegetables and broth, and let it simmer. This allows the meat to cook through and the flavors to meld.

enchantedivory27

HSC
have your guys school said locations for exams yet? assuming for me the hall or the second exam room thing but some might be elsewhere, im not dp or anything tho

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)