» Karate or Kickboxing for self defense ? (1 Viewer)

Linee

HSC
Which martial arts is better for self defence Karate or Kickboxing ?

What is the difference between the two?
Which one is better for real life situations (e.g. on the street) ?

note: please don't say "use a gun" or "run away", please answer my question. Thanks

08er

HSC
kickboxing is way superior to karate

roller

HSC
kickboxing is way superior to karate
In terms of self-defense purposes Karate is next to useless. Kickboxing will give you a better feel for how to defend yourself. I would also recommend Muay Thai as it teaches you fighting and grappling.

lychnobity

HSC
Kickboxing, karate is far too reliant on structured katas, and has little spontaneity (I'm meaning that it's either this series of moves, or that).

Utsawin_Guitar

HSC
KICKBOXING/MUAY THAI WAY BETTER, i sparred some karate kids, and gosh they sucked,...trust me,...for self defense your better off doing kickboxing,,lol karate is all show,

jackb123

HSC
it depends on what style of karate you do as well, kick boxing is far more universal and applicable to dynamic situations.
karate is far too structured.

maxwazza

HSC
Look for a local MMA group - a wicked combination of Muay Thai, Brazilian Ju Jitsu, wrestling etc...

Its great fun, and teaches students a wide range of ways to defend oneself.

:)

Silent_Sniper

Watching you through my sniper scope!!! Getting re
HSC
In terms of self-defense purposes Karate is next to useless. Kickboxing will give you a better feel for how to defend yourself. I would also recommend Muay Thai as it teaches you fighting and grappling.
Sorry but i find you to be very wrong. Karate is not "useless", why would it be taught for "self defence" if its "useless"??? Kick boxing is however much better in terms of attack yes but you also need to look into karate... Karate is a range of things, e.g. kicking and punching.. Kick boxing is more focused more on using your legs.. Look i did karate and small bits of kick boxing.. Karate offers more defence.. Look and btw.. You are not even meant to use anything you learn (fighting style) within the dojo or ring or whatever outside of your training area.. And another thing, karate helps you control yourself and your body...

P.s If your looking for self control and self defence go for Karate..

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Power > Technique.

Build strength and speed and you will win in most fights.

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
Martial Arts is like tea....each has its own unique taste, and whether one tastes "better" than the other, is individual.

oh btw i do Wing Chun Gung Fu :)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
And brains!!!
Brains are actually better for avoiding fights than winning them. But I guess since this asks which is best for self defense avoidance is the best defense. So yes, brains should definitely be included along with speed and strength.

Locky185

HSC
As Mrsajmon23 said its up to the individual in choosing what type of Martial Art is better suited. For me its been Taekwondo. I've been doing it for over 12 years and still enjoying it.

As for people saying that Karate is "useless" is a bit naive in saying that. Yes Katas (or Patterns) have a somewhat of a major role in Karate (same as Taekwondo) but only a fraction of the attacking techniques are used whilst sparring.

You will find that around Three quarters plus that are participating in a Martial Art in Australia (particularly in Taekwondo) are Caucasian.
Medicineasian that is the main point why Asians started Martial Arts in trying to defend themselves without weapons (against the Samurais).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)