10? 11? or 12 units for year 12? (1 Viewer)

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
is it better to have 10 or 11 or 12 units for the HSC? pretty confused on whether i should drop subjects or keep them.!

ediisjoz

HSC
alot of people drop to 10 units for the HSC, which is what i did - it surely lessened my workload and i have more time at school (in frees) to study... it depends if you HATE a subject or not.

make sure if you DO drop a subject, it's not because of the teacher or whatever, do it because you actually hate the topic :( i dropped legal... and i kept business.. worst decision of my life

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
If you absolutely hate a certain subject then drop it. Just make sure you won't regret it....

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
i hate business studies but then if i drop it, that means next year i will only have 9 units and there are no other subjects to pick up...Unless 11 units is a good option?
If i were to have 11 units, how do they calculate 1 unit?!?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Buiboi said:
i hate business studies but then if i drop it, that means next year i will only have 9 units and there are no other subjects to pick up...Unless 11 units is a good option?
If i were to have 11 units, how do they calculate 1 unit?!?
10, 11, 12, 13...they're all good so long as you actually want to do what you're doing - don't feel as if you have to drop/keep something.

With the units, every subject is looked at on a unit by unit basis, so if the worst subject is a 1unit subject that will be ignored in UAI calculation, and if it is a 2u subject then one unit of that subject will be ignored.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
if you want to do a subject then do it, dont worry about how many units it will add up to....if it becomes too much later then you can drop it (provided you have enough units)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
i'd say 12 would be the best if you REALLY want an opinion.

or 10 if you're doing well. there's no point doing extra if you are successful in your achievements thus far.

i do 11 =/

mm99

HSC
well im doing 12 units, but it depends on wat ud rather do. the general argument about choosing 10 or 12 units is that if u do 10, its an easier work load. but if u do 12, u have the security of one subject (your worst one) not counting.
also, as the the others said, it really depends on how many subjects you WANT to do. don't let anyone pressure u into doing a subject u dont like.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
I think I'm going to drop EE1 next term which is the start of year 12 which means I'll only have 11 units.

I'll have to work hard on everything else because I'll no longer have the security of having one subject not count.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
hmmm am currently finding all my subjects pretty ok almost easy to handle. i mean not EASY but i'm not dying if you get what i mean. i don't need outside help tutoring etc.
so if i pick up that extra unit of ext english ( 4unit english) and drop economics i shall have 11 units. and from what i understand 11 is ok? why do 12 if your worst subject doesnt get counted anyway?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
There is no way to tell how many units are best when you are doing the HSC, every person is different in how they are able to cope with the workload. At the rate I'm going, I will be doing 15 units for the HSC, with 3 units accelerated, so it really depends on the person and how they can cope with the workload.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
10 units is the best advice for ya kids. 10 units for da HSC
is a problem free...
philosophy...

hakuna matata!

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Well currently I am doing 10 units for my HSC with the opportunity to drop another 2 units if needed be. I am only doing 10 units this year because last year I completed my HSC in IPT, so my HSC will actually consist of 12 units with a solid mark already locked away.

The whole argument on the number of units really does depend on the student and their abilities. I know people that drop 2 units and say they shall have more in school study time but yet they don't use their frees for any study most of the time. But then again some people need to have a break in the school day so again it depends. Although carrying 12 units through to the HSC does carry the advantage of having a backup if you 'stuff up' one 2 units.

What I don't recommend is dropping for dropping sake, just because you are only required to do 10 units in the HSC doesn't mean you have to drop.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
There is no way to tell how many units are best when you are doing the HSC, every person is different in how they are able to cope with the workload. At the rate I'm going, I will be doing 15 units for the HSC, with 3 units accelerated, so it really depends on the person and how they can cope with the workload.
Wow, 15 units, that's dedication. Good on you! Won't 15 units be difficult to handle?

Personally I will be doing 11 units, the extra unit coming from maths ext1 - even though I am, and will be, failing quite badly, I will always continue it because:
-it can get scaled up quite highly
-relates to maths 2u material
-some universities requires this subject

Even though I don't enjoy studying for it, I will still continue it for the sake of it :D

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
yoakim said:
Wow, 15 units, that's dedication. Good on you! Won't 15 units be difficult to handle?
SoulSearcher said:
I will be doing 15 units for the HSC, with 3 units accelerated, so it really depends on the person and how they can cope with the workload.
So SoulSearcher shall be completing 3 of those 15 units this year, meaning that next year he shall be doing 12 units.

HSC
im doing 12 units plus 2 from accelerated ipt which i finished last year.. and if i continued geography.. i wouldve done finished that this year.. so yeah.. end of next year.. should be 14 units

is that too much? should i drop a subject at the end of prelim?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
the-1-n-only-me said:
im doing 12 units plus 2 from accelerated ipt which i finished last year.. and if i continued geography.. i wouldve done finished that this year.. so yeah.. end of next year.. should be 14 units

is that too much? should i drop a subject at the end of prelim?
Well it sounds like you will only be doing 12 units next year, which is normal for many students, so it depends on whether you feel like you can perform well enough in your other subjects so that you do not need your geography marks. Also remember that you have already done 2 units of your HSC, so that removes a bit of the burden off your back next year.

anniea89

HSC
I'm doing 12. I've got my two exts (eng 1 and math 1) and that's enough. I"ve been told I could pick another ext for eng, math and french, but I know that I won't be able to manage. Personally, I'm happy with the my subjects this year and I'm just hoping that it continues for yr 12.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)