10 most elegant mathematics formulas (1 Viewer)

jamesboyd9

HSC
buchanan said:
a<SUP>4</SUP>+b<SUP>4</SUP>+c<SUP>4</SUP>+d<SUP>4</SUP>=(a+b+c+d)<SUP>4</SUP> has infinitely many nontrivial integer solutions. The proof of this was published this month and utilises Mazur's theorem that an elliptic curve has at most 16 rational torsion points. (Note this was also used by Wiles to prove Fermat's Last Theorem).

I've attached the article.
um
what?

a<SUP>4</SUP>+b<SUP>4</SUP>+c<SUP>4</SUP>+d<SUP>4</SUP> absolutly does not equal (a+b+c+d)<SUP>4</SUP>

(a+b+c+d)<SUP>4 </SUP>= a<SUP>4</SUP> + ... like a billion combinations of a,b,c & d ... + d<SUP>4</SUP>

what am I missing here?

P

pLuvia

jamesboyd9 said:
um
what?

a<SUP>4</SUP>+b<SUP>4</SUP>+c<SUP>4</SUP>+d<SUP>4</SUP> absolutly does not equal (a+b+c+d)<SUP>4</SUP>

(a+b+c+d)<SUP>4 </SUP>= a<SUP>4</SUP> + ... like a billion combinations of a,b,c & d ... + d<SUP>4</SUP>

what am I missing here?
He's saying for that identity, there are infinitely many non-zero integer solutions.

tau281290

HSC
I think 1 + 1 = 2 is quite remarkable knowing that this is the origin of where all other math equations are derived. The origins of 1 + 1 has been long lost in the histories of thousands of years since human civilisation developed. Nevertheless, perhaps the Neanderthals also employed such a remarkable equation.

LoL

lolokay

HSC
well I wouldn't really call sin2ø + cos2ø = 1 unique..

e = cos ø + i sin ø is pretty cool though

samwell

HSC
dont noe y but i seem to like integration by parts formula.

samwell

HSC
tau281290 said:
I think 1 + 1 = 2 is quite remarkable knowing that this is the origin of where all other math equations are derived. The origins of 1 + 1 has been long lost in the histories of thousands of years since human civilisation developed. Nevertheless, perhaps the Neanderthals also employed such a remarkable equation.

LoL
hahahahahah u must be some hilarious guy lol.

Last edited:

shaon0

HSC
Imagine how smart the people are, who came up with these formulae/ideas.

HSC
samwell said:
dont noe y but i seem to like integration by parts formula.
integration by parts is just the reverse product rule.
but yeah i think anyone who can come up with these formula's is pretty insane

samwell

HSC
tacogym27101990 said:
integration by parts is just the reverse product rule.
but yeah i think anyone who can come up with these formula's is pretty insane
I think newtons method is pretty cool how it is derived. The estimation of a root using gradient and fuction. The derivation was a smart thing. Although i dislike Newton's Character he was a smart dude. An application of maths to physics formulas like Newtons law of gravitation.

lilley.matthew

HSC
  1. Definately Euler's - especially cause it gives negative logs- and the proof to get there is amazing as well
  2. Pi/4=1/1-1/3+1/5-1/7...
  3. The integral of sec x - although hardly a formula is an incredibly cool trick
  4. 2^n=nC0 + nC1 ... NcN
  5. tan a + tan b + tan c = Tan a * tan b *tan c (when a, b, c are in a triangle)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Obviously differenciation by First Principles is the most elegant.

/sarcasm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)