10 or 12 Units for Year 12 (Poll) (2 Viewers)

How many Units will you take for your HSC?

Votes: 46 25.7%

Votes: 51 28.5%

Votes: 62 34.6%
  • 12+

Votes: 20 11.2%

• Total voters

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
sikhman said:
yeah....i'm thinking of doing 14 units next year....4u maths+ 4u english + latin + sdd + chem....i'm doing them out of interest....nothing to do with safety net lol
I doubt you will get any sleep next year.

SimonLee13

HSC
Lol sif use H4rdc0r3 in all facets of your internet life. I'll do 12 probably, drop a 2u sub by half yearlies though. If you drop you get heaps more time to spend on other subjects and theres less stuff to learn. 10 u > 12 u if you're sure you don't stuff up anything.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Changed my mind now...If I do pick up 4 unit maths, I'll definitely be leaning towards 10 units.

bawd

HSC
the-derivative said:
Depends what your school is like. At my school, we're not allowed to rest during free periods so we have to do work. :(
That sucks. How do they know, though?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
the-derivative said:
Depends what your school is like. At my school, we're not allowed to rest during free periods so we have to do work. :(
That's the policy in my school but the teachers hardly enforce it.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
bawd said:
That sucks. How do they know, though?
You can enforce that rule by putting all the students who have free periods into a class room and have a staff member inspecting what they do.

SimonLee13

HSC
Is it worth doing 12 units instead of 10 if im pretty sure I'll do worst in one of my 2u subjects? (Geography)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
SimonLee13 said:
Is it worth doing 12 units instead of 10 if im pretty sure I'll do worst in one of my 2u subjects? (Geography)
If you're going to do bad in a subject anyway, then the concept of having 12 units for back up purposes is kind of useless.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
If you're going to do bad in a subject anyway, then the concept of having 12 units for back up purposes is kind of useless.
Then would it be intelligent to take up Cosmology?

Subjects that I am continuing throughout my HSC life are really my strengths and I already have very strong 11 Units of them...

beve

Jesus
HSC
lyounamu said:

Subjects that I am continuing throughout my HSC life are really my strengths and I already have very strong 11 Units of them...
Well you can always drop out if you feel its going to end up too much for you; it's not like you need it. Would be more like the cherry on top of your already heavily-iced cake... :p

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
beve said:
Well you can always drop out if you feel its going to end up too much for you; it's not like you need it. Would be more like the cherry on top of your already heavily-iced cake... :p
I will be sorry to Board of Studies throughout my HSC life if I do so. Doing Cosmology takes large amount of money and Board of Studies pays everything basically.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:

I think it's better to do a subject because you really enjoy it, rather than looking for some sort of security. What I'm about to say isn't really directed to you, because I know you're an oustanding student, but I just want to say to everyone:
If you choose more than 10 units in order to give you a sense of security, isn't that a sign that you are already accepting the possibility of failure before you have even started?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
I think it's better to do a subject because you really enjoy it, rather than looking for some sort of security. What I'm about to say isn't really directed to you, because I know you're an oustanding student, but I just want to say to everyone:
If you choose more than 10 units in order to give you a sense of security, isn't that a sign that you are already accepting the possibility of failure before you have even started?
But I am not really choosing Cosmology for that extra security purpose. As I mentioned earlier, I am choosing this because I am interested in the course.

But I am worried that I am making such a hurried decision without fully knowing about the course and there aren't many ways to find out what kind of course this is without doing the course myself.

I keep asking myslef along the lines of "What if the course is not what I thought it would be?" or "What if the course is not the course where my academic potential & abilities lie?".

Ahhhh, I am so screwed and don't want to restart the chain of ranting after making a stupid subject selection like I did at the end of Year 10. I want to convince myself that I am a suitable material for a challenging course like Cosmology. But I am actually not a good material for any course if I hold no aptitude or interest for the course. I will give myself a second-thought on this.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
lyounamu said:
But I am not really choosing Cosmology for that extra security purpose. As I mentioned earlier, I am choosing this because I am interested in the course.

But I am worried that I am making such a hurried decision without fully knowing about the course and there aren't many ways to find out what kind of course this is without doing the course myself.

I keep asking myslef along the lines of "What if the course is not what I thought it would be?" or "What if the course is not the course where my academic potential & abilities lie?".

Ahhhh, I am so screwed and don't want to restart the chain of ranting after making a stupid subject selection like I did at the end of Year 10. I want to convince myself that I am a suitable material for a challenging course like Cosmology. But I am actually not a good material for any course if I hold no aptitude or interest for the course. I will give myself a second-thought on this.
Isn't Cosmology insanely hard?
A friend of mine did it for her HSC last year (she had completed her dance HSC the year before) and completely hated it. Loathed it, she never would shutup about it.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
alex.leon said:
Isn't Cosmology insanely hard?
A friend of mine did it for her HSC last year (she had completed her dance HSC the year before) and completely hated it. Loathed it, she never would shutup about it.
Yes, apparently it is. But that's not the thing I am worried about. The thing I am worried about is that Cosmology may end up as a waste because I am very strong in 11 units of my subjects, meaning that Cosmology won't count towards my UAI.

Your friend hated it? That may be attributed to the following reasons:

• she may have performed quite badly in it
  • she may not have had interest in the subject
  • she may have had other subject commitments
In saying that, I don't know whether I will like the course or not. But I am sure about one thing: I will give myself a best go.

lolokay

HSC
lyounamu said:
Yes, apparently it is. But that's not the thing I am worried about. The thing I am worried about is that Cosmology may end up as a waste because I am very strong in 11 units of my subjects, meaning that Cosmology won't count towards my UAI.

Your friend hated it? That may be attributed to the following reasons:
  • she may have performed quite badly in it
  • she may not have had interest in the subject
  • she may have had other subject commitments
In saying that, I don't know whether I will like the course or not. But I am sure about one thing: I will give myself a best go.
you think having a distinction course not count towards your UAI would make it a 'waste'?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lolokay said:
you think having a distinction course not count towards your UAI would make it a 'waste'?
I should have worded it better. It's just that I am frustrated over the issue. (whether I should do it or not)

Cosmology is, as people already mentioned, an academically demanding course. Given its level of complexity and sophistication, large amount of time must be sacrificed to cover the topics. Doing this course, therefore, will require great amount of time being used. (including my own personal time)

If I were to spend that time on other subjects that I would otherwise spend on Cosmology, I remain faithful that I can attract greater results in the 11 units concerned.

Of course, it won't be a total waste as I would have learnt some valuable lessons. (e.g. how to handle my time better, how to cope with university-level contents, knowing how the university life would be like)

But in terms of UAI-wise, it will actually be a total waste if UAC was not to count it.

lolokay

HSC
and what if it was counted, but you could've gotten a better UAI if you had devoted the time to your other subjects, would it be a waste still?

you're doing the course because you're interested in learning the material/want more of a challenge - not because it's going to give you a better UAI

(I apologise if I'm misinterpreting what you're saying)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lolokay said:
and what if it was counted, but you could've gotten a better UAI if you had devoted the time to your other subjects, would it be a waste still?

you're doing the course because you're interested in learning the material/want more of a challenge - not because it's going to give you a better UAI

(I apologise if I'm misinterpreting what you're saying)
Yeah, of course. That's the prime reason. Even if Cosmology went as a "waste", I would not regret doing Cosmology. (for now, lol)

And, not at all. You didn't misinterpret my post. It was I who completely bamboozled you with such a poor wording of the post.

I should have said that, it is not much of a benefit in terms of UAI-wise because doing the course would mean that I will have to devote some of my time into the course. Ah, that clears some up.

Seriously, reading my previous post addled my brain quite a bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)