10 vs 12 (1 Viewer)

Determined101

HSC
Hey guys,

Firstly, a bit about my current situation.
Top 100 school, my subjects and ranks for year 11 were:

Advanced English (1/138)
Geo (2/13)
Modern History (2 or 3/11)
Business Studies (top 5/around 60)
General maths (dropped to general in Yr 12 Term 1 first test was top 10/around 100)
SOR II (top 10/around 100)

I've read so much about the 10 unit vs 12 unit debate and I just can't seem to make a decision.
I'm quite stressed out with the workload - in particular modern history - which would be the subject I would drop.
We study Russia/Trotsky next so if anyone has done those options could you please let me know how you found it?
And advice in general about either 10 or 12 units would be very appreciated.

Thank you :)

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Hey guys,

Firstly, a bit about my current situation.
Top 100 school, my subjects and ranks for year 11 were:

Advanced English (1/138)
Geo (2/13)
Modern History (2 or 3/11)
Business Studies (top 5/around 60)
General maths (dropped to general in Yr 12 Term 1 first test was top 10/around 100)
SOR II (top 10/around 100)

I've read so much about the 10 unit vs 12 unit debate and I just can't seem to make a decision.
I'm quite stressed out with the workload - in particular modern history - which would be the subject I would drop.
We study Russia/Trotsky next so if anyone has done those options could you please let me know how you found it?
And advice in general about either 10 or 12 units would be very appreciated.

Thank you :)
How confident are you?
I have 13 units, prolly gonna drop to 11 not really cuz workload but because I dislike a subject. Basically are you confident enough to bet on yourself that a) you will benefit from having a lower workload (ie less stressed/more time into other subjects) and you won't bludge away the extra time, and b) you won't screw up your subjects that you plan to have count

tldr if you're willing to gamble on yourself go to 10, else stay on 12

gandalfbrah

HSC
I highly don't recommend doing 12 units with the mentality that one of your subjects are there as "backup". If you think about it a backup subject is virtually pointless if youre treating it as a "backup subject where you wont try as hard in". So unless you genuinely want to try hard for all 12 units, do 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If you can tolerate all your subjects, then I think 12 units is better then 10 units. This is because the vast majority of people I have found after dropping from 12 units to 10 units, do not take sufficient advantage of the potential extra time, and instead use it on recreation or worse, actually decrease the quantity of study they do.

However if you absolutely hate a subject, and do not have a pattern of stuffing up assessments,then it may well worth be dropping Modern History.

leehuan

HSC
It's all about if you're motivated to put in the effort because you LIKE the subject.

At my school, the only two that beat my ATAR ALL did 12 units, and in fact got band 6/E4 in all 12 of them.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
To be honest, you should've dropped General maths and picked up Hist Extension - 11 Units is gold. But in your case, you're doing exceptional in all your subjects so I'd say continue!

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
To be honest, you should've dropped General maths and picked up Hist Extension - 11 Units is gold. But in your case, you're doing exceptional in all your subjects so I'd say continue!
I think 10 units is better than 11. In my opinion, its 10,12 or TAFE

T-R-O-L-O-L

HSC
Reason being?
Why spend your time on subjects/units that will not be counted?
From my experience, by doing 10 units, you cannot simply say "I have a safety net of 1 or 2 units". This forces you to adapt to "an all or nothing mindset" where everything counts. I used to waste time in one subject thinking that it was not as important. At the end of the day, its subjective and everyone is different, which is why there are different approaches. :)

leehuan

HSC
From my experience, by doing 10 units, you cannot simply say "I have a safety net of 1 or 2 units". This forces you to adapt to "an all or nothing mindset" where everything counts. I used to waste time in one subject thinking that it was not as important. At the end of the day, its subjective and everyone is different, which is why there are different approaches. :)
A lot of people put half the time into SOR I at my school compared to other subjects. And got a band 6 or 5. Whereas 4s elsewhere

D94

HSC
N/A
yet you said above that 12 is ok...

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Not really because the subject you do crap in still counts, unless it is History Extension which is like why did you pick it up in the first place.
11 units is really for those who do ext 1 maths, or extension history. But 11 units isn't any better than 12.

D94

HSC
N/A
Not really because the subject you do crap in still counts, unless it is History Extension which is like why did you pick it up in the first place.
11 units is really for those who do ext 1 maths, or extension history. But 11 units isn't any better than 12.
Because you don't know how your subjects will scale until after the ATARs are released.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Because you don't know how your subjects will scale until after the ATARs are released.
I think he meant if you have 11 units, and a 2 unit subject you're a bit iffy on, then having 11 units doesn't really give you 'protection' as of such because one of those units will still count.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
wat, but didn't you say 12 was good too.. aren't you just contradicting what you said before lol

T-R-O-L-O-L

HSC
wat, but didn't you say 12 was good too.. aren't you just contradicting what you said before lol
12 is good for those who want the safety net and enjoy all their subjects. In my case, I prefer 10 units as it helps me avoid procrastination because I know that everything I will do will count. ;)

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Above 12 is ok if your BoS name is KingOfActing
I've been summoned

In my opinion, 12 units is a good minimum. 10 units is actually more stressful, because if you screw any of your subjects up, you screw up completely.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I've been summoned

In my opinion, 12 units is a good minimum. 10 units is actually more stressful, because if you screw any of your subjects up, you screw up completely.
I didn't feel stressed with 12 units, and probably would've felt stressed with 10 units.

leehuan

HSC
I didn't feel stressed with 10 units

Best decision of my life. (28+4)/56 periods of my timetable were study.

+4 is Catholic studies so eh, bludge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)