11yr old banned from watching big brother in uk, hangs herself (1 Viewer)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
A girl of 11 hanged herself after her mother banned her from watching Big Brother, an inquest heard yesterday.

Yasmin Browder was found suspended from a bathroom door hook by her dressing gown belt tied around her neck.

Her mother, Jill Morey, a 38-year-old care worker, tried to save her but she was pronounced dead at hospital.

The inquest was told that Yasmin had been helping her mother decorate their home in Shoreham, West Sussex, in June when an argument broke out. As they began to pack up for the day, Yasmin protested about her mother leaving the decorating equipment in her bedroom.

Miss Morey said: 'Everything was fine until the time when I said to her I was leaving the bucket, wallpaper and stripper in her room until the morning.

'She went totally out of character and started launching things out of her room. I said, "Why are you doing this?". She said, "I don't want it in my room".'

Miss Morey said she went downstairs, leaving Yasmin 'stropping around' before she returned to her mother and said she intended to watch Big Brother.

'I told her she was not going to because she had misbehaved and that she was going to bed,' said Miss

Morey. 'I shut her bedroom door, went downstairs into the lounge to watch Big Brother and I could hear her stropping around upstairs.'

Some time later, Yasmin went downstairs and into the bathroom, leading her mother to believe she was going to have a shower.

But when her father phoned later and she failed to go to the phone or shout out from the bathroom, Miss Morey knocked on the door. When

she received no answer, she went outside and peered through a small window to see Yasmin standing against the bathroom door.

She said: 'I saw her standing against the bathroom door with her eyes open. I thought she was having a strop behind the door and

ignoring me. My boyfriend returned home and launched the lock off the door. Yasmin had her dressing gown on and the belt was around the door and her neck.

'She was obviously unconscious. I was shocked and distressed. I released the belt to put her on the floor, then tried to resuscitate her three times. I was hysterical. I was trying all I could for her.'

Miss Morey's boyfriend, Mark Webb, dialled 999 and Yasmin was taken to hospital where she was pronounced dead 40 minutes later.

The inquest at Worthing heard that Miss Morey and her ex-husband, Paul Browder, a 42-year-old printing proprietor, had been separated for six years.

Yasmin, a year seven pupil, had enjoyed a weekend on the beach with her father before her death on the Monday evening. Mr Browder said: 'She was on the up. She was

on cloud nine. She had everything to look forward to, friends, school, holidays. Just everything was positive in her life.'

Detective Constable Tim Hughes, of Sussex Police, said there was no history of bullying at school or any indication of self-harm in either her diary or text messages. West Sussex coroner Roger Stone said: 'This is one of the saddest cases I have had to deal with.'

Recording an open verdict, he said: 'Yasmin got into a strop, as her mum said, and could not watch Big Brother.

'This was some kind of an impulsive gesture which has gone horribly wrong, for Yasmin, her family, and perhaps wrong for our society.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=400099&in_page_id=17

So whats going on here? did the mother do anything wrong? Is this indicitive of a larger problem with reality tv, or perhaps the result of pop culture making kids think they can get their own way no matter what.

Personally i think there has to be a problem when kids start commiting suicide over nothing[ like that kid who killed himself over a computer game] but even worse is when they go apeshit and kill others, like that 8yr old who killed his sister, and those 2 kids in britain who killed a 3yr old boy about 15yrs ago.

We all have seen programs where kids act completely insane, most recent of all "honey we're killing the kids" what would you expect a normal reaction from an 8yr old who is told he cant have any more lollys is? going apeshit, hitting his mother and tearing up the house? no

Usually i blame softcock parenting, but in this case the mother did everything right. Sad business all round.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
My boyfriend returned home and launched the lock off the door. Yasmin had her dressing gown on and the belt was around the door and her neck.

I suspect something more deeper then the show 'big brother', it has little to do with big brother, or even the days actions. In my opinion there is a possible 'murder case'. It would need to be seen off what she hanged herself and the skill of the hanging. (a coroner definately should get involved), or maybe I think a possibility of physical or sexual abuse from the boyfriend. (which caused stress and what not. ) She probably hated the BF, because of this but the mother which is obviously once divorced, would be needing the 'male figure', she probably assumed is good for her.

(Just my opinion form watching seasons of Monk, she downplays her boyfriends role, perhaps she even knew of abuse. )

Optophobia

HSC
More likely the girl decided to see what happened if she put he neck in and put the weight down. *snap*

Generator

HSC
N/A
Serius said:
Personally i think there has to be a problem when kids start commiting suicide over nothing[ like that kid who killed himself over a computer game] but even worse is when they go apeshit and kill others, like that 8yr old who killed his sister, and those 2 kids in britain who killed a 3yr old boy about 15yrs ago.
Over nothing, Serius? How do you know that?

turtleface

HSC
Yes I fail to see why the Big Brother aspect is emphasised. Its just a small cog in the chain of events

What ridiculous journalism

*hopeful*

HSC
thats heaps sad though :(

wtf is a strop? lol i kept thinking strap as in she used a belf strap

lala2

Banned
HSC
I agree with turtleface--I thought that if she hanged herself cos she was banned from watching BB, I'd question the morality of having such shows on (I already am predispositioned to disapprove of it). But it's not--I think it was just meant to be a lame eyecatcher--nothing else.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Serius said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=400099&in_page_id=17

So whats going on here? did the mother do anything wrong? Is this indicitive of a larger problem with reality tv, or perhaps the result of pop culture making kids think they can get their own way no matter what.
I don't think this article makes sense really, or has a point. As others said, the big brother thing was a small thing in a chain of events. the real headline should be something along the lines of "11 year old kid, unhappy, hangs herself." the whole article is absolute crap, because it doesn't tell us anything 'real' about what had been going on, just the immediate events before she hung herself. imo it's a space filler, and because big brother could be incorporated into the title, it was used.

volition

arr.
HSC
lala2 said:
I agree with turtleface--I thought that if she hanged herself cos she was banned from watching BB, I'd question the morality of having such shows on (I already am predispositioned to disapprove of it). But it's not--I think it was just meant to be a lame eyecatcher--nothing else.
Haha, EVEN IF it was purely because she couldn't watch BB, I still don't think it really stands to blame for anything. BB's spot on television shouldn't be compromised as a result of a girl killing herself because she wasn't allowed to watch it. I'll add here that I don't like watching BB and I'm not a fan of it or reality TV in general, so it's not like I'm in the position of having a vested interest in the continued broadcast of the show.

As for the 'eyecatcher' point, I agree. This story doesn't really have much to do with BB at all.

Last edited:

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
I think it's pretty disgusting and typical of the tabloid to use the suicide of an 11year old in a sensationalist manner and/or as advertisment for Big Brother. If you think about it the headline is subconsciously saying "Big Brother, the show you'd die for". It also suggests that the readers of daily mail care more about anything to do with Big Brother than the suicide of an 11yr old girl per se.

Last edited:

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
this is just sad... and big brother cannot have been the only factor, there had to be something else, i cannot believe a kid who apparently had everything going for her would kill herself purely over a mother-daughter argument, unless she had mental problems, which it doesnt seem like. i'm reluctant to say she was abused since there's no evidence of it in that article and i cant find any others about it...but you cant rule out the sinister stuff when something so absurd and out of character happens like that.

also maybe im not imagining the scenario properly but i fail to see how the mother, peering in through the window, could have missed the fact that her daughter had something around her neck - and also, (and i am making an assumption here so i could be wrong), on most doors the handle is quite low down, if the daughter had already put the thing around her neck, even if she hadnt actually hung herself yet, how could she be standing up, she would have to slump down unless she was really short or the handle was really high... i dunno. something about the mum's description of events seems a little sus.

SarahMary

*Procrastination Central*
HSC
*hopeful* said:
wtf is a strop? lol i kept thinking strap as in she used a belf strap
As in a shit-fit/ tantrum/conniption/ whatever else you want to call it.

From what the mother said the kid behaved like in the article she sounds like a spoilt brat...
But that was sposed to be out of character

Last edited:

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
yes, there is something sus about a mother looking through a window at her dead daughters discoloured face with her blank eyes are still open and shes leaning against the door with outstretched legs with a belt around her neck holding her up...and being unable to tell that something is wrong.

Lorie

HSC
Mr Lovepony said:
It could have been years of stress building up... maybe she just snapped one day.

Yeah there has been nermous seasons of big brother.......

Lorie

HSC
Nolanistic said:
If she did kill herself over a stupid tv show in a fit of impulsivity, then... well... to be frank the world is far better off without her.

yes i agree. I suggest we bring back lawn darts and take off warning signs about forks in toasters so we ensure these people don't reach the age of 6. It's a way of culling the stupid people, before they are old enough to make a difference.

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
Well, I do agree that some people deserve to die, some people deserve a more painful death than others.

Unfortunately, there's no answer to the question: Who has the right to judge?

-P_D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)