1st year semester 2 unsw commerce courses help! (1 Viewer)

eyeswideshut

HSC
Hi guys so I'm a first year doing commerce at unsw and we can enrol in courses for the 2nd semester soon and I need help deciding what to pick out of the 6 flexible core courses! so far I'm planning to do ACCT1511, FINS1613, ECON1102 but I have no idea about the 4th... what should I do out of INFS1602, LEGT1710 and MARK1012 in terms of what is most useful/easy?

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
are you doing an accounting major? you should probably do LEGT1710 since you'll need it for CA

Jonneeh

HSC
CA req: LEGT1710 (+2 other LEGT courses)
CPA req: as above + INFS1602(use to be a CA req)

I doing both this semester, I find LEGT1710 interesting
whilst INFS1602 painful (have read ~40 pages of textbook/week, the lecture notes are minimal, and 2 group assignments)

eyeswideshut

HSC
are you doing an accounting major? you should probably do LEGT1710 since you'll need it for CA
Yes I am so I think I will... but question, how do you know what is needed for CA and an accounting major in general? the handbook is so confusing and not useful at all...

eyeswideshut

HSC
CA req: LEGT1710 (+2 other LEGT courses)
CPA req: as above + INFS1602(use to be a CA req)

I doing both this semester, I find LEGT1710 interesting
whilst INFS1602 painful (have read ~40 pages of textbook/week, the lecture notes are minimal, and 2 group assignments)
Whats the difference between CA and CPA? LEGT1710 does sounds interesting

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
MARK1012 is not as easy as it looks... it's very heavy in content

INFS1602 I am not too sure but my friend isn't enjoying it. It is apparently like MGMT1001 in some way in terms of case studies, reading but thne you do programming too. So its like a combination of MGMT and Computer Science.

LEGT1710 I wouldnt have a clue as I am not eligible to do it and none of my friends did it.

eyeswideshut

HSC
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/faculties/2012/comm/ProfRecognitionUG.html CA/CPA requirements
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2012/ACCTA13502.html accounting major requirements

I'm interested in knowing the difference between CA and CPA too. From the stuff I've heard, CA is far more popular but also more difficult to obtain
also I have no idea if you will know the answer to this but if I was planning to transfer into combined law next year, should I not do LEGT? cos it says on the handbook that com/law students are supposed to replace the LEGT courses with LAWS ones...should I do INFS instead? since I'll need it for CPA anyway

Jonneeh

HSC
MARK1012 is not as easy as it looks... it's very heavy in content

INFS1602 I am not too sure but my friend isn't enjoying it. It is apparently like MGMT1001 in some way in terms of case studies, reading but thne you do programming too. So its like a combination of MGMT and Computer Science.

LEGT1710 I wouldnt have a clue as I am not eligible to do it and none of my friends did it.
INFS1602 has no programming involved, I would say it parallels mgmt1001 in terms of content heaviness but I would say its more structured and group intensive.

Personally I also hate infs as well I wouldn't say it's difficult just extremely boring. But that's just my preference.

Jonneeh

HSC
also I have no idea if you will know the answer to this but if I was planning to transfer into combined law next year, should I not do LEGT? cos it says on the handbook that com/law students are supposed to replace the LEGT courses with LAWS ones...should I do INFS instead? since I'll need it for CPA anyway
If you want to do law then don't do LEGT, even if you decide you don't want to do law anymore you can always do LEGT another semester.

Tortilla

HSC
N/A
Im enrolled in Com/Law planning to drop the law at the end of the year (not gonna be a lawyer)
Definitely Doing:
ACC1511
FINS1613

Tossing Up Between
MACRO, MARKETING & ACTUARIAL (I would have to do math1151 or something as a pre req though)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hi guys so I'm a first year doing commerce at unsw and we can enrol in courses for the 2nd semester soon and I need help deciding what to pick out of the 6 flexible core courses! so far I'm planning to do ACCT1511, FINS1613, ECON1102 but I have no idea about the 4th... what should I do out of INFS1602, LEGT1710 and MARK1012 in terms of what is most useful/easy?
Have you considered doing something else? Like, doing a Commerce course that will count towards your major for Commerce?

Im enrolled in Com/Law planning to drop the law at the end of the year (not gonna be a lawyer)
Definitely Doing:
ACC1511
FINS1613

Tossing Up Between
MACRO, MARKETING & ACTUARIAL (I would have to do math1151 or something as a pre req though)
Don't do Actuarial if you're not passionate about it. You'll die.

Tortilla

HSC
N/A
Just interested in ACTL for general understanding of the insurance business & how premiums are priced.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Just interested in ACTL for general understanding of the insurance business & how premiums are priced.
If you want that, do a Finance course. Seriously.

Don't do Actuarial unless you are actually interested in the Actuarial aspect.

muzeikchun852

HSC
Can anyone decide...I cant!
i was in the same situation as you but i think i would choose MARK1012, because i heard:
- INFS1602 has a lot of quizzes and group assignment, and
- LEGT1710's lecture is quite boring and quite a lot of reading.

ct92

HSC
I did LEGT1710, INFS1602 and FINS1613. I really enjoyed LEGT and FINS (those are my majors, though, so it's to be expected), but INFS had lots of group work and the content was sort of annoying. I don't know if I would have liked any of the other flexible core subjects though, so INFS was the best of a few bad options for me.

BiancaC

HSC
Is it absolutely imperative that you do all first year subjects in the first year? Like say if I didnt do FINS1613 in first year could I do it in a subsequent year. I don't plan on doing a major in Finance.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Is it absolutely imperative that you do all first year subjects in the first year? Like say if I didnt do FINS1613 in first year could I do it in a subsequent year. I don't plan on doing a major in Finance.
yup u can. I know some people are delaying MGMT to 4th year...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)