2005 History Extension Major Project Topics (1 Viewer)

HayleeKate

HSC
a8o said:
er rather dont use the net use book at the library instead,
totally agree, books are so much better than net for this, I'm hardly using any net sources, maybe name-dropping a few, but its all about the books.

My topic is Aztec Conquest: success of Hernando Cortes or Failure of Montezuma II
I've got 34 books or magazines on my shelf so far, you'd be surprised what books are around once you start looking, much more relaible than net, and more detailed.

devious_lisa

HSC
great, should i like focus on specific books on my topic or look at things around it? suchs a events or something that is associated with my topic?

!lukey!

HSC
im looking into michael moore and maybe something to do with farenheit 9/11 and his left wing view towards george bush. does anyone have any ideas in refining this question?

HayleeKate

HSC
devious_lisa said:
great, should i like focus on specific books on my topic or look at things around it? suchs a events or something that is associated with my topic?
It'll prolly depend on your topic, try for specific's or you'll end up get shitloads too much reading and get buried, but if you dont get much from that, broaden out to anything which links a bit, and just be selective about what you read, you dont have to read every page, just whatever's relevant even if its only 1 page out of 407.

djmattyd

HSC
!lukey! said:
im looking into michael moore and maybe something to do with farenheit 9/11 and his left wing view towards george bush. does anyone have any ideas in refining this question?
I think you'll be struggling to get a good mark in that one. I got told to stick far away from topics that were too recent (i.e. after about 1980) because it means that sources are limited.

Sounds interesting though, if you do keep up with it that is.

waterfowl

HSC
djmattyd said:
I think you'll be struggling to get a good mark in that one. I got told to stick far away from topics that were too recent (i.e. after about 1980) because it means that sources are limited.

Sounds interesting though, if you do keep up with it that is.
I agree...faaaaar too recent; I wouldn't exactly call him a history subject.

hottie_mira

do u really think september 11 is too recent? i was thinkin of doin it but i thought the same as you. i think it would be really interesting tho. like have u seen faranheit 9/11? that really focused on the government coverup theories.. september 11 too rwecent for my history project? wat do u think?

hottie_mira

wrong_turn said:
c'mon?! i have no argument. just trying to get together my info is a bitch! can anyone supply some help for me. i am doing the salem withccraft trials, but i am mainly focusing on the social side of it.
salem witchcraft trials? that sounds interesting. wat do mean the social side of it tho?

waterfowl

HSC
mira2005 said:
do u really think september 11 is too recent? i was thinkin of doin it but i thought the same as you. i think it would be really interesting tho. like have u seen faranheit 9/11? that really focused on the government coverup theories.. september 11 too rwecent for my history project? wat do u think?
I think, like someone else said above, anything before 1980 would probably be too recent. Anything as close in the past as September 11 is too much a social / current events project I think, in my opinion it is not available for historical debate yet. It is still in the news, and mentioned far too often.

Abbeygale

HSC
September 11 would be interesting, especially since as you said, you could examine Michael Moore, and he's an interesting source. The guy has bias, selection and distortion of the facts pouring out of his ears. And he's funny to boot.

But I'm going to agree that September 11 is too recent. It's only been what, three and a half years? I know someone who's looking at Michael Moore for SAC- it's really a current event.

But I'm going to stop there and not say anything about government coverup theories. I've aired my opinions on pop culture conspiracy theories too many times in this thread already.

HayleeKate

HSC
1) you guys are still thinking of topics? My school's already had our proposals and log books due, our final work is due week 7 next term, when's everyone else due?
2) How far back you can go (say before 1980's) is really up to your teacher, since its internally marked, there's not really any standard, and what one school might say is too recent may be completely different to another school and teacher's opinion. Ask you own teacher what he/she thinks and then you cant go wrong, since they mark it.

devious_lisa

HSC
thanks haylee

um
we already had our proposals due and log books had already been checked and everything, but yeh.....i still changed my topic after the proposal....so i'm fairly behind....thanks for the adivce. =)
our skools assignment is due last week of term 3

Abbeygale

HSC
The problem is not whether it's allowed by the course/teachers, but whether it will make a good assignment. Just because the teachers say you can do it doesn't make it a good choice as a topic.
When I was beginning the course, I wanted to look into the role of minority soldiers in WW1. The teacher approved it, and it well and truly fits the syllabus. But when after three weeks of research I'd only turned up one website, I realised that the teacher's approval didn't necessarily make it a good choice.
The teacher may approve an assignment on 9/11, but it still won't be a good choice.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
how about we'll organise a bos work day at the state library in the holidays?

pm if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

a8o

HSC
Abbeygale said:
The problem is not whether it's allowed by the course/teachers, but whether it will make a good assignment. Just because the teachers say you can do it doesn't make it a good choice as a topic.
When I was beginning the course, I wanted to look into the role of minority soldiers in WW1. The teacher approved it, and it well and truly fits the syllabus. But when after three weeks of research I'd only turned up one website, I realised that the teacher's approval didn't necessarily make it a good choice.
The teacher may approve an assignment on 9/11, but it still won't be a good choice.
Yeah, but if you ask them if you think its a good idea, hopefully they want yo uto do well.

!lukey!

HSC
thanks everyone for your ideas i decided to change from 9/11 as it is too recent and not enough historians have written about it and no historical debates yet. and who knows the truth anyway? lol... i changed it to doing a history of assylum seekers into Australia after the white australia policy, to see if things have changed at all since then to now

know_it_all

check this ...my teacher approved my idea n read my draft n sed it was fine
n then wen i got the marks bak...theyr were pretty gud but i lost on the idea
she had shown another teacher the idea who picked a fault in it
so the idea my teacher loved n approved she then marked down
so now i have to change my idea

im jst like, why didnt u tel me this b4 i lost marks!..sori frustration lol

a8o

HSC
waterfowl said:
I think, like someone else said above, anything before 1980 would probably be too recent. Anything as close in the past as September 11 is too much a social / current events project I think, in my opinion it is not available for historical debate yet. It is still in the news, and mentioned far too often.
Perhaps here's a topic in itself in terms of what is history?

I'm looking at African foreign policy in the 1990s so essentially go for Sept 11 if you're interested in it. There is a HUGE debate about it at the moment. Whether it's a historical or a policitcally charged historical issue could become a question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)