• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2005 History Extension Major Project Topics (1 Viewer)

katee p

help!

hey..on the topics of ext topics...IM STUCK!!! our proposal is due 2nd week back n i have no idea where to start... im pretty sure im goin for the topic of the new west history on the american frontier...how new theories have been brought forward about westward expansion that place new importance on the events that happened....but i dnt noe where to go from here...im not all that confident with the topic...i get it..but yea..i jus dnt noe wat type of question i could set for it

ne suggestions?? or if u noe nething bout the topic... :)
thanks!

emo_chick

HSC
i think i might do the first moon landing. is that a good idea? my teacher told me to stay away or not focus too much on theories and theorist. and most of the info i found have been good but a lot are like conspiracy theorist and stuff.
i keep changing my mind..im screwed. comment would be appreciated. :)

Last edited:

Demandred

HSC
Hopefully your not going for the debate over the authenticity of the moon landing. 'The importance of the moon landing' perhaps? I am sure you can get quite a few solid sources from both sides of the Cold War.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
im doing the chinese cultural revolution, if anyone has any info on it albeit notes, essays or whatever links that might be useful (apart from google) feel free to PM me and we can share notes if you are investigating the same topic =)

emo_chick

HSC
Demandred said:
Hopefully your not going for the debate over the authenticity of the moon landing. 'The importance of the moon landing' perhaps? I am sure you can get quite a few solid sources from both sides of the Cold War.
actually that was the debate i was going for. i really dont know what to do now. i think i might just lay off the whole moon landing because my teacher probably would recommend i dont do it.

Plebeian

The debate over the moon landing is too conspiratorial/journalistic and not historiographical/academic enough, imo. You'll have a hard time finding reputable sources - there are simple scientific arguments refuting most (if not all) of the apparent 'NASA mistakes'. I would agree that it's not the best topic.

Remember, your topic doesn't have to be particularly unique and groundbreaking. In some ways, it's better if it's not because then there will be a body of historiography for you to use. Pick something that you're interested in, and then narrow it down to a specific issue so that you don't have endless amounts of reading to do.

emo_chick

HSC
Techie said:
The debate over the moon landing is too conspiratorial/journalistic and not historiographical/academic enough, imo. You'll have a hard time finding reputable sources - there are simple scientific arguments refuting most (if not all) of the apparent 'NASA mistakes'. I would agree that it's not the best topic.

Remember, your topic doesn't have to be particularly unique and groundbreaking. In some ways, it's better if it's not because then there will be a body of historiography for you to use. Pick something that you're interested in, and then narrow it down to a specific issue so that you don't have endless amounts of reading to do.
yeh..but its so hard finding a topic. i really wanted to focus on hiroshima but unfortunately its on the modern history syllabus. its too bad because i found really great info. i know this is going to sound crazy but i really want to get my info and topic sorted now even though my proposal isnt due until week 2. so i guess im just rushing to get a topic..:( thank you for your advise though..im thinking maybe something from the 1960s/1970s.

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
emo_chick said:
im thinking maybe something from the 1960s/1970s.
careful that you dont chose something that is very recent, ie not that much time has actually elapsed since it occured for there to be significant evident strands of historical thought to emerge that you can discuss with enough meat.

veridis

droog
HSC
yeah if you focus on more modern events your source analysis becomes more asessing their political bias rather than their methodology. it can work well but you have to work alot harder to find a good range of sources

emo_chick

HSC
veridis said:
yeah if you focus on more modern events your source analysis becomes more asessing their political bias rather than their methodology. it can work well but you have to work alot harder to find a good range of sources
im sooo clueless right now! i really have no idea what i want to do...well maybe except for hiroshima (still). im thinking of maybe droppng the subject if i dont have a topic by the end of the week. :(

does anyone know if we're allowed to change our topic after handing our proposals in?

Plebeian

That would be a matter for your school to decide, I'm fairly sure the syllabus doesn't stipulate any regulations there. Although I handed in about three proposals over time, I didn't hand in the final one which actually got marked until I gave in my project, and I wrote it during the holidays, so there is a fair degree of flexibility with the proposal. The idea of it, though, is sort of that you pick a topic and then lock it in.

I know how hard it is to find a suitable topic - I came up with, seriously considered, and rejected as bad, at least six before I found the one I did. Just hang in there, maybe get your teacher to help, or have a look through history sections in libraries (local, or Fisher at Sydney Uni) to see what grabs your eye. I originally went to Fisher to do research on a topic that I thought I had pinned down ... when I was reading about it there, I decided I couldn't do it, and discovered a new topic by accident just by seeing a book while walking through the aisles.

emo_chick

HSC
Techie said:
That would be a matter for your school to decide, I'm fairly sure the syllabus doesn't stipulate any regulations there. Although I handed in about three proposals over time, I didn't hand in the final one which actually got marked until I gave in my project, and I wrote it during the holidays, so there is a fair degree of flexibility with the proposal. The idea of it, though, is sort of that you pick a topic and then lock it in.

I know how hard it is to find a suitable topic - I came up with, seriously considered, and rejected as bad, at least six before I found the one I did. Just hang in there, maybe get your teacher to help, or have a look through history sections in libraries (local, or Fisher at Sydney Uni) to see what grabs your eye. I originally went to Fisher to do research on a topic that I thought I had pinned down ... when I was reading about it there, I decided I couldn't do it, and discovered a new topic by accident just by seeing a book while walking through the aisles.
Fisher Library is the only library I've been going to for research. I think I should try and not rush things cause I think that's what I've been doing..rushing to get a definite topic. Thank you for your help though :) ..i should try going to the local libraries and do a bit of specific reading instead. Are there any external assessments for this course?

veridis

droog
HSC
yeah theres an exam worth 50%
it covers all the general historiography stuff (ie all the different historians over time), and your classes case study(ie appeasement, elizabeth etc). if you havent started yet you should ask your teacher so you can get some background info

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
emo_chick said:
im sooo clueless right now! i really have no idea what i want to do...well maybe except for hiroshima (still). im thinking of maybe droppng the subject if i dont have a topic by the end of the week. :(

does anyone know if we're allowed to change our topic after handing our proposals in?

Hang in there!!! I know exactly what you mean - i was totally undecided for ages, and in my log i kept skipping around different ideas (which is what i thought you were supposed to do), but my teacher just got pissed off and wrote "WHY DO YOU KEEP CHANGING YOU MIND?".......uh, because its an assesment worth 40%, maybe???

No seriously, once you hit the right topic, you know its right, and what is even more important than the actual topic is the question and how you discuss the historiographical issues.

Have a look at some of the proposals that are on here and get an idea how people are tackling theirs. Look at the focus questions - thats where ultimately your questions should stem from. Heres my proposal if you want to have a quick look. Good Luck!!!

emo_chick

HSC
Sphyx said:
Hang in there!!! I know exactly what you mean - i was totally undecided for ages, and in my log i kept skipping around different ideas (which is what i thought you were supposed to do), but my teacher just got pissed off and wrote "WHY DO YOU KEEP CHANGING YOU MIND?".......uh, because its an assesment worth 40%, maybe???

No seriously, once you hit the right topic, you know its right, and what is even more important than the actual topic is the question and how you discuss the historiographical issues.

Have a look at some of the proposals that are on here and get an idea how people are tackling theirs. Look at the focus questions - thats where ultimately your questions should stem from. Heres my proposal if you want to have a quick look. Good Luck!!!
Wow! That's really good. You have so much written down our teacher only wants 1 1/2 pages, 2 pgs max!

So in our proposal do we have to hand in our definite definite question? I'm sori..I think I have asked that a billion times by now. Cause I'm thinking, what if I hand in my proposal (wk 2 first term) and in a few months time decide that I want to change my entire topic?!? Is that possible?

Sphyx thanx heaps! :)

emo_chick

HSC
veridis said:
yeah theres an exam worth 50%
it covers all the general historiography stuff (ie all the different historians over time), and your classes case study(ie appeasement, elizabeth etc). if you havent started yet you should ask your teacher so you can get some background info
oh..yeh we haven't started! how often do you have a class for ext. hist.?

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
emo_chick said:
Wow! That's really good. You have so much written down our teacher only wants 1 1/2 pages, 2 pgs max!

So in our proposal do we have to hand in our definite definite question? I'm sori..I think I have asked that a billion times by now. Cause I'm thinking, what if I hand in my proposal (wk 2 first term) and in a few months time decide that I want to change my entire topic?!? Is that possible?

Sphyx thanx heaps! :)

You definetely dont want to be changing it in a few months time!!!! All the advice we've been given from these yr 12s, and our teachers is that we should not leave it till the last moment. Infact, she wants us to have the majority of our reading and research to be finished these hols, and to spend the rest of the time until its due (first week back term 3), formulating, developing and evaluating ideas and writing drafts. Now, personally, i dont think that its reasonable to have all the research finished by the end of these hols - thats just how its working out at my school, and even then, i dont think ill have it finished by then. But you should definetly settle on something reasonably soon - and you are best to stay with it.

But it depends on you personally - how you feel you can cope with such a big project - i know im a big last-minuter, night-beforer, who still gets really good marks, but even on this one, im spreading it out, basically to avoid the sterss factor. You will always hear about those people who leave it till the last minute and still get good marks, but i think you are better safe than sorry on this one.

with choosing your topic, what i did was i wrote down the pros and cons of each topics that i was tossing up between, like availability of good sources (important), personal interest, different issues that you can discuss and how they relate back to the focus questions set out in the syllabus, that sort of thing, and it helps to see your thoughts on paper, and to make up your mind. ;)

emo_chick

HSC
Sphyx said:
You definetely dont want to be changing it in a few months time!!!! All the advice we've been given from these yr 12s, and our teachers is that we should not leave it till the last moment. Infact, she wants us to have the majority of our reading and research to be finished these hols, and to spend the rest of the time until its due (first week back term 3), formulating, developing and evaluating ideas and writing drafts. Now, personally, i dont think that its reasonable to have all the research finished by the end of these hols - thats just how its working out at my school, and even then, i dont think ill have it finished by then. But you should definetly settle on something reasonably soon - and you are best to stay with it.

But it depends on you personally - how you feel you can cope with such a big project - i know im a big last-minuter, night-beforer, who still gets really good marks, but even on this one, im spreading it out, basically to avoid the sterss factor. You will always hear about those people who leave it till the last minute and still get good marks, but i think you are better safe than sorry on this one.

with choosing your topic, what i did was i wrote down the pros and cons of each topics that i was tossing up between, like availability of good sources (important), personal interest, different issues that you can discuss and how they relate back to the focus questions set out in the syllabus, that sort of thing, and it helps to see your thoughts on paper, and to make up your mind. ;)
pros and cons ay? yeh i've kind of tried that. i really thought that maybe these holidays i would be able to get all my info sorted out and just focus on drafts and ideas and getting more info if needed and stuff. but things kinda got screwed and now im back in the start which sucks. yeh im always a last minute person and end up getting good marks..but for this assignment i really don't want to risk it.

i'll try and put more thought into things...and really try writing down the pros and cons...and really start using the syllabus!

thanx again..you are so helpful :)

a8o

HSC
Good to know we're all having trouble with this. That's the major value of this thread :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)