• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2005 History Extension Major Project Topics (1 Viewer)

_Benji_

HSC
hmm

Great.... so I have my topic... Whitlam... but now the teacher keeps nagging me to refine it.
Anyone got any suggestions of stuff people have done before or anything? Something that could incorperate heaps of different POVs/ historiography (our class has seriously only learnt like what that means...... oh well its better than our mod class which goes so slow cos teacher has to explain "what" (no sh*t) Belgium is *rolls eyes*).

Im thinking the dismissal... was it fair.
or maybe just if whitlam was the great leader lots of people say he was.

Whatcha reckon?

elif

hello there. i am doing something on the holocaust denial movement - why did it start and how is did it gain support. interesting. does anyone else find that they have to many books to read!

providence

ok... so i don't know what i'm doin...

i've chosen Mary Magdalene, wife or disciple of Jesus? However, i dont know how to go about doing this. I feel i have no strict guideline and as a result an feeling in the dark... If anyone has any advice ...HELP! If anyone has any probs... lol ahhhh hhhummmhummm, ill try hehehehe.

waterfowl

HSC
providence said:
i've chosen Mary Magdalene, wife or disciple of Jesus? However, i dont know how to go about doing this. I feel i have no strict guideline and as a result an feeling in the dark... If anyone has any advice ...HELP! If anyone has any probs... lol ahhhh hhhummmhummm, ill try hehehehe.
You might first like to find out a bit more about her. Jesus' wife.....LOL LOL

Abbeygale

HSC
providence said:
http://www.magdalene.org/ is probably a good place to start. It contains articles, a list of references to her in popular culture, and reviews books about her.
A friend of mine is doing MM too, but looking at differing interpretations of her through time.

As for advice, just remember one rule: The Da Vinci Code is not, and should never be considered, an accurate source on the historicity of Mary Magdalene.

veridis

droog
HSC
waterfowl said:
You might first like to find out a bit more about her. Jesus' wife.....LOL LOL
i think you should probably read more about her too. there are plausible theories about jesus and mary marrying, just as there are plausible theories about jesus settling in the south of france or india after his whole rise from the dead act.
for a supposed history extension student you seem to put alot of trust into the traditional sources which were vastly censored and edited. while its true the da vinci code is a work of fiction(a pretty shit one at that IMO) its true that the bible is just as much a work of fiction(from a historiographical point here people not a religious judgement). nothing compiled 4 centures after an event from a highly biased person with a very strong purpose can be considered reliable in even the loosest definition of the word

veridis

droog
HSC
providence said:

dont make any argument at all. too many conspiracy theories and everyone who's written on it is very biased and put absolute faith in their sources. while its a good topic as you can tear apart alot of sources with very very crap methodologies and demonstate the fualt of many styles if you try and draw any definative conclusion you'll be shooting yourself in the foot.
if i was to do it i'd end with something like "Due to the influence of religious persuaision in differing depictions of Mary Magdalene, an influence that would havbeen very great in the far from secular societies we cannot trust any source about her. While this means we will never know the true nature of Mary Magdalene we can conclude with a fair amount of certainty that the images of her put forward by both traditional and new age religious movements are what she is not."

Abbeygale

HSC
veridis said:
i think you should probably read more about her too. there are plausible theories about jesus and mary marrying, just as there are plausible theories about jesus settling in the south of france or india after his whole rise from the dead act.
There are also plausible theories that the theory that Jesus went to India is based on a non-existent document, Nicolas Notavich's Tibetan text. Notavich was not a serious scholar of Sanskrit, Pali or Buddhism- a deep knowledge of all three would have been required to reliably draw conclusions on the text. In addition, the documents have never been produced and the monks who supposedly had them denied any knowledge of either the scrolls or Notovich. From a historiographical perspective, you have to ask what the motive behind such a theory would be. Presumably, to argue that either Jesus influenced Eastern religions, or that Eastern religions influenced Christianity. Either is highly offensive.
Too bad I'm half done on my own essay. There's a MW in that...

What was my point again? Oh yeah. A MW based on a pop culture historical 'conspiracy theory' would probably be difficult unless you're arguing against, or sitting on the fence. Evidence in favour is usually shaky, and there are few respected historians who believe them.

veridis

droog
HSC
sounds interesting. only read a couple of page article about it. sounded pretty logical but a bit too convinient. faked evidence would fit that. definitely a MW in that
but i 100% agree. pop history and conspiracy theories are too easy to tear apart

kelly_4_u

kelly_4_u
HSC
im doing the trojan war,
how has hollywood changed homer's illiad view on the trojan war?

is anyone else doing this??
if so pm me coz i want to talk about your ideas on this if possible?!?!?

djmattyd

HSC
This question is directed at those who did history extension in 2004 or before.

At what point in your major work were you up to now? I have got some names and a bit of information on my relevant historians, but I'm afraid I'm too far behind...

Violet

HSC
Can anybody help me?

Hiya, I am doing the American Civil War and its causes and I only have ONE historian!!! (McPherson if it helps any of you) and I was just wondering if any of you had any names of historians and/or sources because I would REALLY REALLY appreciate them if you wanted to share.
Thanks

My email is: dumbblonde_not123@hotmail.com

mcs

HSC
There are some interesting topics here- Im going to do Rudolf Hess and look at why he flew to Scotland in 1941 and what actually happened to him- whether it was really him in Spandau or a double- quite interesting stuff cause there is a hell of a lot of conspiracy theories out there but nothing is definite so its nice and open ended.

devious_lisa

HSC
screwed

hey what is everyone up to in thier major works?
I'm totally screwed because i had to change my initial topic of Empress Wu to that of the Empress Dowager and yet its a more managable topic, i'm finding it hard to find a concrete argument to base my major work on. and like yes, in terms of progress, i'm way behind everyone else because i had to change my subject........help anyone?!

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
c'mon?! i have no argument. just trying to get together my info is a bitch! can anyone supply some help for me. i am doing the salem withccraft trials, but i am mainly focusing on the social side of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)