2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Rudd? (1 Viewer)

Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

• Coalition

Votes: 249 33.3%
  • Labor

Votes: 415 55.5%
  • Still undecided

Votes: 50 6.7%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 34 4.5%

• Total voters
K

katie_tully

More about the handing over of leadership to Costello in the future if the Coalition are re-elected:

Quote:
Peter Costello would not become prime minister for at least 18 months should the Coalition win this month's election, John Howard says.

In his clearest indication yet of when he intends to hand over to his Liberal deputy, Mr Howard said it would not be for at least 18 months or two years.

Mr Howard has previously promised to retire as Prime Minister "well into" his next term if he is re-elected on November 24, but has refused to say exactly when.

"Peter Costello, if we win, will not become the prime minister until well into the next term, and that would be a matter for him and the party to decide in the tradition of the Liberal Party," Mr Howard told ABC Radio in Adelaide today.

"It would be a choice that could be made by the new deputy leader, but that's two years on at least - or 18 months, two years on."

Mr Howard has previously said that he wants to stay on as Prime Minister to steer through a referendum on formally recognising indigenous Australians in the constitution, which he has pledged to hold within 18 months of the election.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/federal-e...766637566.html

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
katie_tully said:
Are you lost? Paul Keating. How was he not an idiot?
"the things that batter"
'The things that batter' was Downer, not Keating.

K

katie_tully

floating the Australian Dollar in 1983
I would credit that more with Hawke.

High interst rates, high inflation, the recession we had to have, the fact that he couldn't just disagree with somebody or tell them why they're wrong, he had to act like a sissy and call them names, mabo the biggest load of crock to ever become legislation.

yeah interest rates were up high when Howard was treasurer, he wasnt in charge of the country back then, he was at that stage still a 'Learner' which should serve as enough reason to not vote in a learner as PM.

K

katie_tully

Irrespective of the good/bad things Keating did as PM/Treasurer etc... I just don't like him. ;)

ZabZu

HSC
katie_tully said:
High interst rates, high inflation, the recession we had to have,
The economy was in recession when Labor came to power in 1983.

The recession in 1990/91 significantly reduced inflation and hence interest rates. Obviously recessions arent pretty and unemployment was over 10% but that recession is a key factor of why inflation and interest rates have been so low over the past 15 years.

People give Howard more credit than he deserves when it comes to the economy.

Last edited:
K

katie_tully

K. At least you revealed the real reason. I love him because he's brash, arrogant and doesn't try to be a "top aussie bloke" like Howard, Rudd, Iemma ect. He really didnt give a fuck what people thought about him.
Yah. I never said he was a shit PM, I just said he was an idiot.

Perhaps his downfall was that he didn't care what people thought about him. Maybe if he'd paid a little more attention to that...
I think the fact is a lot of Australians don't want the 'i dont give a rats' guy next door running their country. Yeah Rudd/Howard/Iemma are pompous old bastards but apparently people take comfort in that.

atreus

HSC
i like keating- he's not afraid to tell it like it is, e.g. calling john howard a little desiccated coconut.

as for the liberal leadership, i read somehwere, it may have been on bos, that even if howard wins, the party will probably force him out a lot earlier than he plans, so the new leader can get a decent start before the 2010 election.
personally, ive gotten used to the idea of costello becoming pm. im still not liking the prospect of downer, abbott or turbull as treasurer.

Last edited:
K

katie_tully

I met the average Australian voter at a BBQ on the weekend.
She was 5 months pregnant, smoked half a pack of cigs in the space of an afternoon and had atleast 5 beers, before stating she hadn't drunken so much in ages.

So yeah, halp.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
THose average Australians provide me endless schadenfredude so that's why I'm voting Labor for interest rates to be higher and for dumb bogans to default on their homeloans hopefully there will be more of them on the TV for extra laffs.

lol

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
jb_nc said:
THose average Australians provide me endless schadenfredude so that's why I'm voting Labor for interest rates to be higher and for dumb bogans to default on their homeloans hopefully there will be more of them on the TV for extra laffs.

lol
lolololololololol.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
I'm really surprised that Newhouse wasn't more careful about that. Surely if he held a government job he was familiar with the rules about resigning it before nominating. (Although I always thought that the deadline for resigning was the close of nominations, not the submission of your nomination.)

Meanwhile, the Australian has a report with the clever title 'Fear and loathing in Coalition' in which Backdown Barnaby informs us that there's a sense of depression within the government. And Rudd's campaign launch is today, likely to focus on education (talk about universities, pretty please?) and energy/climate change.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Plus, Kevin Andrews is being his usual incompetent, dishonest self, refusing to speak to the media about the Tran case (legal Australian resident, locked up in immigration detention for five years, sound familiar?) and breaching caretaker conventions by refusing to allow DIC to brief the opposition spokesman. Labor is signalling that if it wins it might launch a royal commission into the ~200 cases of wrongful detention that occurred under Ruddock, Vanstone and Andrews.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Has anyone seen the Liberal ads with Brian Courtice (former MP in the Hawke govt)? Thoughts?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Ineffective imho... John Hewson and Malcolm Fraser a former Liberal PM and PM hopeful have said much harsher words about Howard.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
withoutaface said:
Has anyone seen the Liberal ads with Brian Courtice (former MP in the Hawke govt)? Thoughts?
I thought he was basically repeating the government's soundbites. Just looked like a lone, dirty dog.

Speaking of Hawke, it was nice to see him and Keating holding hands and looking like a happy couple again at the launch.

K

katie_tully

Is that the add where he says Rudd couldn't go 3 rounds against Whinny the Pooh?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)