2007 NRL Thread (1 Viewer)

davo_

good kid
HSC
chocolate_lover said:
Those players you mentioned are all good, yes, but don't have the experience that Mini has. But we'll see.
And the part in bold, how do you know that?

:eek:
I don't - but I'd like to think Mini is a modest and smart enough to realise he won't be getting his spot back straight away without proving himself - especially with players such as Hunt, Inglis, Hodges excelling in the Australian side in his departure. Experience? He can't rely on that too much - especially when (I know I'm going to get ripped for this) a player such as Inglis has much more natural talent. I don't think Mini will be playing for Australia straight up - but he will probably walk straight back into his NSW jumper.

ditto.

HSC
If Mini gets back to the same level he was before injury, he'll be back in all the rep sides, quick sticks.

Whilst the players that filled his position performed admirably, I still feel none of them quite imposed themselves as consistently as he used to.

davo_

good kid
HSC
martin88 said:
i think Browny and Gasnier are smart enough to realise that Gasnier will not be effective "throwing long balls and such" and better off, as you stated, playing his natural game

in hindsight, gasniers role in attack will be that of the fullback.... roaming around and whatnot.... this basically enables him to use his footwork and balance to find gaps in the defence.... perfect example of the Bulldogs game last season at Kogarah....

Gasnier struggled in attack when up against high quality opposing centres, especially centres such as Berrigan/King who are especially good defenders... this way at 5/8 playing a roaming role in attack, Gasnier is less restricted, and can basically go where he wants
Yeah I agree - if it is going to work basically Gasnier is going to have to be a fullback in attack and 5/8 in defence. Hornby essentially the opposite - fullback in defense and 5/8 in attack. We'll see how it goes and what they do I guess.

martin88

HSC
N/A
davo_ said:
Yeah I agree - if it is going to work basically Gasnier is going to have to be a fullback in attack and 5/8 in defence. Hornby essentially the opposite - fullback in defense and 5/8 in attack. We'll see how it goes and what they do I guess.
yeah more then likely to happen... if not perhaps you could replace Brown haha?

what team does everyone support?? obviously im a dragons fan

mR.aCAdEMiK

Mo-del Student
HSC
Storm and Doggies fighting out for the 2007 Premeirship! That way, its a win-win situation for me :D

Dam Broncos, bloody cheats, didnt deserve the 06 premiership at all. Those 4 bad ref calls cost storm the win.

mR.aCAdEMiK

Mo-del Student
HSC
davo_ said:
I don't - but I'd like to think Mini is a modest and smart enough to realise he won't be getting his spot back straight away without proving himself - especially with players such as Hunt, Inglis, Hodges excelling in the Australian side in his departure. Experience? He can't rely on that too much - especially when (I know I'm going to get ripped for this) a player such as Inglis has much more natural talent. I don't think Mini will be playing for Australia straight up - but he will probably walk straight back into his NSW jumper.
Inglis's gotta be the best back in the game rite now. He's got the talent and is only getitng better and better! Hope he doesn't experience 2nd year sydrome lyk Sonny Bill and Slater though.

martin88

HSC
N/A
mR.aCAdEMiK said:
Dam Broncos, bloody cheats, didnt deserve the 06 premiership at all. Those 4 bad ref calls cost storm the win.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
mR.aCAdEMiK said:
enjoying your sour grapes i see

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
man get over it, broncos got lucky and won a premiership, so what? it is a new season and they are not gonna win it again. no webcke, no hope.

Cpt obvious

HSC
Mini will play for Australia again(Although we won the tri-nations Australia played poorly so the selectors will go back to experience players who will play well). If you look at all the potential fullbacks for NSW they are all Queenslanders Bowen, Slater, wesser, Inglis, Hunt and Hodges. So when NSW plays Qld in orgin Mini will take the title of the number 1 fullback again.

I think Parramatta will be just outside the 8. If Finch gets no game time we could manage top 6. Raiders, sharks, panthers, roosters, cowboys and souths(I dont think they will gel yet maybe 08 could be there year) will also struggle. I think the titans will come about 12th.

Newcastle have regained Adam McDougall which should help their cause and see them into the top 8. The dragons season will be the same as it always is lots of promises but they cant handle the big matches. Broncos and canterbury will be somewhere in the top 4

Gasnier wont be an effective 5/8 but will mostly likely be selcected for NSW as a centre.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Titans have a solid team, I expect them to be in the top 8. Tigers hopes on Benji. Roosters willl suck as usual. Storm should be in the top 4 with broncos, eels and maybe bulldogs.

davo_

good kid
HSC
Cpt obvious said:
Mini will play for Australia again(Although we won the tri-nations Australia played poorly so the selectors will go back to experience players who will play well). If you look at all the potential fullbacks for NSW they are all Queenslanders Bowen, Slater, wesser, Inglis, Hunt and Hodges. So when NSW plays Qld in orgin Mini will take the title of the number 1 fullback again.
You have to remember that Australia actually lost the tri-series the year before when Mini was playing, so really what you're saying probably won't count for dick. Don't get me wrong I think Mini is a great player (he obviously is), but he's no Andrew Johns or Darren Lockyer who is going to get picked regardless - and this is especially so in his case; with the amount of talent in the fullback department at the moment. I'm not sure exactly what you are trying say when you say "So when NSW plays Qld in orgin Mini will take the title of the number 1 fullback again."? If you are trying to suggest the Mini will outplay his QLD opponent I feel you are jumping the gun a bit. My personal choice for Australian fullback would be Inglis - but due to team dynamics he doesn't even play there in his club side. It is most likely Hunt will keep his position - selectors love picking pre-made combinations in their rep teams - and as someone stated earlier, Hunt and Lockyer work terrifically together.

HSC
if anyone had second year syndrome it was Tim Smith, not anyone else.

You guys honestly underrate Minichiello. Someone said he wasnt in the same class as Johns and Lockyer? When he has been injury free he has been one of the best, most consistent, one of the first players picked for a few years now. I think he also won the golden boot one year, correct me if im wrong. Hunt and Inglis are good fullbacks, but if Minichiello is fit and in form, I believe he should and will be picked first. People are going on about Inglis and hunt, and sure they are good, but Minichiello has not put a foot wrong, and by the time ANZAC test comes around, he will prove he deserves that spot and will justify it. And combinations, honestly the fact that Minichiello and Lockyer have played together for Australia counts for something. Hunt and inglis have shown glimpses of brilliance sure, but Minichiello has been quite devastating in his own right as well, dependable, and consistently up there with the best performers. Although this is forgotten as he was out all rep season and some pretty crafty things done by Hunt and Inglis. Dont rule out Minichiello.

Broncos, as much as I dislike them deserved to win the premiership. The ref did not help the Storms cause however. And might I add if the Storm played like they did all year the game would not have been as close as it was to let the game be decided by a few poor calls.

Dragons losing some quality players could have been the best thing that has happened to them. It will pave the way for their younger players who are awesome and will step up. No one is putting pressure on them anymore, that will also factor. The pressure is all on the other teams to step up, while no one cares about the Dragons. Which could be a great thing, well as a Dragons fan, fingers crossed anyway.

Last edited:
HSC
HotShot said:
Titans have a solid team, I expect them to be in the top 8. Tigers hopes on Benji. Storm should be in the top 4 with broncos, eels and maybe bulldogs.
You really think the Eels will be in the Top 4??
Just curious, have you heard of a player named "Brett Finch"?

martin88

HSC
N/A
watatank said:
Dragons losing some quality players could have been the best thing that has happened to them. It will pave the way for their younger players who are awesome and will step up. No one is putting pressure on them anymore, that will also factor. The pressure is all on the other teams to step up, while no one cares about the Dragons. Which could be a great thing, well as a Dragons fan, fingers crossed anyway.
sadly enough..... Dragons will always be under some sort of pressure to perform

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
martin88 said:
sadly enough..... Dragons will always be under some sort of pressure to perform
you mean like that pressure to perform that every football team, hell every football player is under to perform?

HSC
^^ Haha well there is always pressure to win, and why not they get paid shitloads to produce results....but when I'm talking about no pressure, i really mean it will be significantly less than the red hot favourites to win they have always been at this time during pre-season and most of the NRL competition...I mean the signs are there already...everyones saying Gasniers going to be a flop in one of the most important positions on the field, they have lost several key players...foundation players no less...they are about midfield in the betting stakes when they are always everyones favourite...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)