2008 HSC Maths Scaling Stats (1 Viewer)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
study-freak said:
but doesn't 100 mean 100 in every single assessment task and exam? it's extremely difficult not to make any mistakes in any tests.
nope, u just have to come first in ur school and get 100 in the hsc exam

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
nope, u just have to come first in ur school and get 100 in the hsc exam
yeah like i did.

i never got 100% in any of my 2 unit exam at school. :D

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I don't think it needs to be stickied, for the reasons given by Trebla.

But it is interesting, and it's good to see people taking their own initiative in relation to the analysis of these statistics.

Ezzz1990

HSC
In General Maths I got 93 as my HSC mark (Exam mark and assessment mark were both 93) and 1st in my course. I did 2U Maths back during the first half of Year 11 but found it difficult so I dropped to General Maths. The teachers said I should've stuck with 2U Maths. So, approximately what mark would've I needed in 2U Maths to be equivalent to my 93 in General Maths? I don't need anything specific just an approximate range. Thanks. :D

dp624

HSC
Ezzz1990 said:
In General Maths I got 93 as my HSC mark (Exam mark and assessment mark were both 93) and 1st in my course. I did 2U Maths back during the first half of Year 11 but found it difficult so I dropped to General Maths. The teachers said I should've stuck with 2U Maths. So, approximately what mark would've I needed in 2U Maths to be equivalent to my 93 in General Maths? I don't need anything specific just an approximate range. Thanks. :D
about 90.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Ezzz1990 said:
approx 88/89 aligned mark

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Ezzz1990 said:
The teachers said I should've stuck with 2U Maths.
You can't really know. I think you performed well enough. :)

In 2007 the Technical Committee on Scaling reviewed the scaling of General Mathematics based on complaints it received from teachers that top students were still able to receive a scaling benefit by 'dumbing down' and taking that course instead of the Mathematics course. (source, p2)

Unfortunately we don't know the outcome of that review, except that nothing has changed. It may be that the complaints were unfounded.

fishbulb said:
Just something to ponder on....
What is interesting about the maths scaling this year is what happened with Extension 1:

What is the probability of the Board's expert judges determining raw band cut-offs which align the raw mark distribution to almost exactly the same percentiles as the distribution of scaled marks, and which produce a mean that (to one decimal place) exactly reflects the academic ability of the candidature?

I think this is the first time we have had a course where the aligned and scaled marks corresponding to a particular raw mark have been almost exactly the same.

Rare indeed!

dp624

HSC
I've been thinking about my scaled mark for Maths Extension 1. And the scaling of state rankers in general.
What do you people think is the gap between each state ranker in terms of scaled mark? 0.1 or so, maybe?
Because for MX1 it's pretty much mark-for-mark. Though I didn't get 100 raw in MX1 (84 internal, 83 external I bet - but both aligned to 100) would the scaled mark be very close to 100? Because a few years back I check the scaling for a subject - Music I think. P100 got 100 aligned, 100 scaled. P99 got 100 aligned, 100 scaled. But there weren't 1% equal firsts.

http://www.gsu.uts.edu.au/cabs/072/papers/072-item2.pdf said:
It was agreed to approve in principle the recommendation that the highest UAI be 99.95 rather than 100.00
Go die in a house fire. =P

Last edited:

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Does the Board of Studies ever reveal your HSC mark? I was just wondering since your HSC mark is made out of your raw exam mark and your moderated assessment mark. I mean suppose you got about 70% as your raw mark in the external exam but it gets aligned to 90%. Will your HSC mark be made out of the raw 70% or the aligned 90%? In this case just suppose that the internal mark is 86%.

If it's made out of the raw 70% than the HSC mark is going to be pretty low.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Dragonmaster262 said:
Does the Board of Studies ever reveal your HSC mark? I was just wondering since your HSC mark is made out of your raw exam mark and your moderated assessment mark. I mean suppose you got about 70% as your raw mark in the external exam but it gets aligned to 90%. Will your HSC mark be made out of the raw 70% or the aligned 90%? In this case just suppose that the internal mark is 86%.

lol, they align it to 90 so they use the 90 assessment mark, and the hsc is half of that and half of internal so you'd have 88 for ur HSC mark

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Dragonmaster262 said:

Your raw HSC mark is the average of your raw exam mark and your initial moderated assessment mark. It is not reported to you but is used in scaling and UAI calculations.

Your aligned HSC mark is the average of your aligned exam mark and your aligned (moderated) assessment mark. It is reported to you but it has nothing to do with your UAI.

Ezzz1990

HSC
Thanks for your help. :)
I always said back to the teachers that I'm better off getting an excellent result in General Maths (which I did get) then getting about 60% in 2U Maths.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
lol, they align it to 90 so they use the 90 assessment mark, and the hsc is half of that and half of internal so you'd have 88 for ur HSC mark
I'm talking about your raw HSC mark. I mean if you get 70% raw in external and 90% raw internals, than won't your assessment mark be moderated to like 70 something, and your raw HSC mark be made out of that.

dp624

HSC
The Board doesn;t really know that you got 90% internals. All they care about is the rank and the relative differences.
But if that 90% internals made you top your school, and the 70% raw external was also the top, then for both your internal and external you'd get the 70% raw.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
dp624 said:
The Board doesn;t really know that you got 90% internals. All they care about is the rank and the relative differences.
But if that 90% internals made you top your school, and the 70% raw external was also the top, then for both your internal and external you'd get the 70% raw.
But that just makes Extension 2 Maths more risky. I mean the usual cut-off for 90% in it is about 70%. Since your raw HSC mark is made out of your raw external and your moderated internals than that means that the HSC mark will be like 70 something.

dp624

HSC
Ok, so your RAW hsc is the aligned raw external and moderated aligned internal.

SAy you got 90% aligned externally, which was the top mark and you also got 1st in school. This means you'd still get a Band E4 for MX2.

the HSC mark isn't simply the raw mark, it gets shoved up quite a bit too.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
dp624 said:
Ok, so your RAW hsc is the aligned raw external and moderated aligned internal.

SAy you got 90% aligned externally, which was the top mark and you also got 1st in school. This means you'd still get a Band E4 for MX2.

the HSC mark isn't simply the raw mark, it gets shoved up quite a bit too.
I'm talking about the HSC mark which is part of your aggregate and used to calculate your UAI. I believe that's the raw HSC mark is n't it? The Aligned HSC mark is just a mark recorded in the Record of Acheivement. According to the other threads the Aligned HSC mark is not used in UAI calculation.

dp624

HSC
Yeah, i know, your raw is used to calculate an aggregate.
But the raw of say, 70% is equivalent to say, aligned 90%. but the raw 70% is equivalent to an aggregate of over 90%

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
dp624 said:
Yeah, i know, your raw is used to calculate an aggregate.
But the raw of say, 70% is equivalent to say, aligned 90%. but the raw 70% is equivalent to an aggregate of over 90%
Really? I was playing around with Einstein 2007 and according to it you needed at least 85% raw to get a scaled aggregate of 90%.

dp624

HSC
No, the mark you put in "85" is the aligned mark.
That "85" is probably about a 65% raw (like 70/120)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)