2008 HSC School Rankings (2 Viewers)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Re: Top 20 in Course List

Sorry to go off Topic a bit, but do any of you know just how schools in NSW ranked? Are they ranked by the percentage of Band 6s or by the percentages of Distinguished Achieving kids in each school?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

Dragonmaster262 said:
Sorry to go off Topic a bit, but do any of you know just how schools in NSW ranked? Are they ranked by the percentage of Band 6s or by the percentages of Distinguished Achieving kids in each school?
they're the same?

Sayangliss

HSC
Re: Top 200 Schools - Daily Telegraph

jellybelly59 said:
i'm just wondering when or if smh will put up the full list of school rankings
From what I got told previously, SMH did the full list of school rankings for the last time in 2007 because they deemed the way the rankings were calculated inaccurate.

dp624

HSC

Timothy.Siu said:
they're the same?
DA kids = any kid with a band 6

Da kid =/= Number of Band 6s

Schools are ranked by the number of band6s over the overall attempts

Lazarus

Retired
HSC

It's not an accurate way of ranking schools though because no scaling has been done.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC

Good on them. They aren't accurate at all, except perhaps where they are ranked within a single course.

shakky15

HSC

Lazarus said:
It's not an accurate way of ranking schools though because no scaling has been done.
would be more accurate to rank % of students with UAI over, say, 90, out of total number of students requesting a UAI.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

shakky15 said:
would be more accurate to rank % of students with UAI over, say, 90, out of total number of students requesting a UAI.
I'd probally rank by average school UAI, but unfortunately the data just isn't avaliable.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Rafy said:
I'd probally rank by average school UAI, but unfortunately the data just isn't avaliable.
yeah because that would be an invasion to privacy.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

BabyEars said:
Bro Chatswood High was 49th last year and now is 154

now that sucks
It just went back to where it truly belongs.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Lazarus said:
Good on them. They aren't accurate at all, except perhaps where they are ranked within a single course.
Exactly - I don't think the way any system calculates the school rankings is fair.
But that's probably due to the fact my school dropped dramatically this year xD

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

the-derivative said:
Exactly - I don't think the way any system calculates the school rankings is fair.
But that's probably due to the fact my school dropped dramatically this year xD
It really isn't. But what can we do? UAI average = won't work due to privacy reaons which is fair enough...

Unles we get the UAI average/number of people over 90 UAI/whatever, it won't really work. Knowing UAI is the most important thing before we rank schools...

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

lyounamu said:
It really isn't. But what can we do? UAI average = won't work due to privacy reaons which is fair enough...

Unles we get the UAI average/number of people over 90 UAI/whatever, it won't really work. Knowing UAI is the most important thing before we rank schools...
Exactly, like my school usually gets really high UAIs. Like this year is the lowest we've been - ever I think and we still managed to get 99.70 dux.

I think - just ignore school rankings, unless you go to James Ruse - then of course you love school rankings.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

the-derivative said:
Yeah - but what I think is they should release the UAIs however not release the candidate's name. Might sound stupid - but that COULD work.
Hm....

There are schools with very small numbers of students. If they release UAI on those schools, it will be extremely easy to notice who got certain UAIs or not.

On top of that, some students will be quite furious if UAC actually did that. It could work, I guess but I am afraid that it will never happen.

Oh another issue is that there are many people with * UAI. That's another issue too...LOL

dp624

HSC

the-derivative said:
Exactly, like my school usually gets really high UAIs. Like this year is the lowest we've been - ever I think and we still managed to get 99.70 dux.

I think - just ignore school rankings, unless you go to James Ruse - then of course you love school rankings.
haha yea =D
i think ranking ppl be median UAI would be best.... but yea, privacy thingies

dp624

HSC

Rafy said:
I think median is a better measure than average, since a lot of schools are bunched up near the top.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

dp624 said:
haha yea =D
i think ranking ppl be median UAI would be best.... but yea, privacy thingies
Exactly, we COULD have a fair ranking system, but privacy issues are the main barriers.

UAC could make their own rankings though - therefore they wouldn't be disclosing any personal information. But I'd doubt they'd be bothered.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC

the-derivative said:
Yeah - but what I think is they should release the UAIs however not release the candidate's name. Might sound stupid - but that COULD work.
That would lead to the Mt Druitt debacle all over again - see e.g. here (scroll down to Mt Druitt heading).

Ranking schools by publishing league tables etc is a very controversial issue in education and is generally seen to be highly undesirable - because it is essentially useless both as a measure of the 'value' of a school as well as in terms of accountability, and it doesn't do anything to help schools with genuine needs.

Schools attended by very smart kids will appear at the top of the tables even if the schools themselves aren't very good.

Since the Mt Druitt debacle the publication of results which could be used to create league tables has also been unlawful in New South Wales:

EDUCATION REGULATION 2007
4 Publication of results and other matters
(1) This clause applies to the following results:
(a) ...
(b) results of School Certificate and Higher School Certificate examinations and related assessments,
(c) ...
(5) Results to which this clause applies must not be publicly revealed in a way that ranks or otherwise
compares the results of particular schools.

A method of ranking schools that is seen to be somewhat more acceptable is the 'value-added' method, which compares the performances of students from that school at two different points in time (e.g. Year 10, Year 12) and the school is assessed by the extent to which the students have improved during that time.

Last edited:

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Lazarus said:
That would lead to the Mt Druitt debacle all over again - see e.g. here (scroll down to Mt Druitt heading).

Ranking schools by publishing league tables etc is a very controversial issue in education and is generally seen to be highly undesirable - because it is essentially useless both as a measure of the 'value' of a school as well as in terms of accountability, and it doesn't do anything to help schools with genuine needs.

Schools attended by very smart kids will appear at the top of the tables even if the schools themselves aren't very good.

Since the Mt Druitt debacle the publication of results which could be used to create league tables has also been unlawful in New South Wales:
EDUCATION REGULATION 2007
4 Publication of results and other matters
(1) This clause applies to the following results:
(a) ...
(b) results of School Certificate and Higher School Certificate examinations and related assessments,
(c) ...
(5) Results to which this clause applies must not be publicly revealed in a way that ranks or otherwise
compares the results of particular schools.
A method of ranking schools that is seen to be somewhat more acceptable is the 'value-added' method, which compares the performances of students from that school at two different points in time (e.g. Year 10, Year 12) and the school is assessed by the extent to which the students have improved during that time.
True. I agree with you totally. Especially with the 'Schools attended by very smart kids' idea.

However none of the newspapers actually take into consideration a school's School Certificate Results. I think they should use all 3 (NAPLAN, HSC and SC) when ranking schools.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)